ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Falcons fire Reeves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2003, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default Falcons fire Reeves

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons fired Dan Reeves on Wednesday, dismissing the sixth-winningest coach in NFL history with three games left in a disappointing season.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will take over as head coach for the rest of the season, according to the Falcons' team Web site.

The Falcons scheduled a morning news conference to announce the stunning move. Reeves had one year left on his contract.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Reeves met with owner Arthur Blank Tuesday night, and Blank informed Reeves that he intended to hire a new head coach before next season.

Reeves responded that if Blank was going to fire him, Blank should do it immediately.

Reeves' job security had been a subject of speculation as the Falcons fell from the playoffs a year ago to one of the worst teams in the league after quarterback Michael Vick was hurt in the preseason.

Still, the timing of the move was curious, coming just three days after the Falcons (3-10) defeated Carolina 20-14 in overtime in Vick's first start of the season.

Reeves began the season with his 199th career victory, the Falcons winning 27-13 in Dallas.

Atlanta then lost seven in a row before Reeves finally got his 200th win at New York against the Giants on Nov. 9. Afterward, he said, "It's great. But when you've lost seven in a row, it was all about trying to get them to win No. 2."

Vick broke his right leg in the preseason, exposing the Falcons as a one-man team. Initially expected to be out six to 10 weeks, the third-year quarterback's rehabilitation dragged on for 3 months.

At one point, there appeared to be a rift between player and coach. Reeves said Vick needed to get back on the field; Vick responded that he wouldn't play until he was fully recovered.

Vick played the final two series in a Nov. 30 loss to Houston, then finally made his first start last weekend. He rushed for 141 yards -- the third-highest total by a quarterback in NFL history -- and finally brought a little hope to a dismal season.

But Reeves won't be around for the rest of it. He leaves with a career record of 201-174-2, including the playoffs.

Only Don Shula, George Halas, Tom Landry, Curly Lambeau and Chuck Noll won more NFL games.

espn
--------------

Wow this is really suprising. You knew that he would be fired, but why do it with 3 games left? Its too bad though, because it wasn't all his fault for his teams poor preformance. It will be intresting who the next coach is though.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
givin you the evil eye...

Nullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Nullpunkt Send a message via AIM to Nullpunkt Send a message via MSN to Nullpunkt Send a message via Yahoo to Nullpunkt

Dumb dumb dumb.

i hate the way coaches always get the shaft when a stacked team underperforms......
i mean, it's not like the players have any accountability for their performance, ever....
Old 10 Dec 2003, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Well, Vick is going to be there longer than reeves ever was going to be. It's not really Reeves fault, but shit happens, and he had to take the heat. If he did at least marginally decent this season without Vick, maybe won 4 or 5 games, it would be a different situation. Denver survived. But Atlanta just went straight to the shithouse, and they still are nothing without Vick. That IS a one man team and Dan was a bitch about it. I'm sure he'll show up in SD next year though

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2003, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

This is sad that it happened but foreseen weeks ago. Unfor. due to Vick being out most of the season with the injury, when Vick went out so did Reeves job security. Again, just think how good this team would be had they had Vick all season long. But Reeves will bounce back and land another job.
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2003, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned By Super Moderators

New Star is on a distinguished road

vick can run for over a hundred yards a game, but he couldnt save reeves job
New Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2003, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

Well considering he only played one full game this year, it didn't take a genius to figure out why he couldn't.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

^^^^^ = this guy

couldn't quite understand that statement myself.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2003, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

I know....you can't hold Vick responsible for Reeves losing his job when he was out most of the season due to an injury. I guess someones been adding to much whiskey to his egg nog.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned By Super Moderators

New Star is on a distinguished road

actualy i was agreeing with you, but i was like saying, vick can be like a super quarter back, but not even he could save reeves...ah, forget it, i am sticking to ot for now
New Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2003, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStar
actualy i was agreeing with you, but i was like saying, vick can be like a super quarter back, but not even he could save reeves...ah, forget it, i am sticking to ot for now
nah, star you should post in here. We need more posters in here. But it did sound like you were saying that he played all season.

But I do think that he could of saved his job if he would of been playing all year.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Womenomics

RJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of light

Not surprised he got fired. Vick saved Reeves job last year. If Vick didn't have that break out season last year you knew Reeves wouldn't of made it back for this year. Once Vick got hurt in the preseason this year you knew it was only a matter of time before the ax fell on Reeves. As for the next coach of the Falcons I think Dennis Green would make the most sense for them.
RJ Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2003, 01:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Star you know me, i'm just flacking on ya man. Stay around, I just took you wrong and razzed you.