ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Yankees close to signing Wells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2003, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default Yankees close to signing Wells

ESPN.com news services
The New York Yankees and David Wells are close to finalizing a minor-league deal that could put the tempestuous left-hander back in their rotation for the 2004 season, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

The Yankees offered Wells salary arbitration Sunday night because general manager Brian Cashman and Wells' agent Gregg Clifton were on the verge of working out the one-year contract.

The deal, which will carry a base salary of $3 million with incentives that could drive it toward $7 million, will be completed when the sides agree on a weight-and-conditioning clause, Gammons reports. The completion could come as early as Monday afternoon.

Last month, New York declined a $6 million option on Wells, who earned $14 million during his two-year contract with the Yankees. The 40-year-old Wells was 15-7 with a 4.14 ERA last season and 19-7 with a 3.75 ERA in 2002.

"We made a lot of progress in the last 24 hours and we're optimistic David will have an opportunity to remain a Yankee," Clifton told reporters.

Wells left Game 5 of the World Series after one inning because of a back injury, and had surgery last Tuesday to repair a herniated disc in his lower back. He has angered the Yankees at times during his four seasons with New York, but also is a favorite of owner George Steinbrenner.

Wells, who has a career record of 200-128, defeated Minnesota and Boston in his first two 2003 postseason starts.

Wells was winless in seven starts from July 19 until Sept. 7, when he beat Boston 3-1 and prevented the Red Sox from closing to within a half-game of New York in the AL East.

The Yankees also offered left-hander Andy Pettitte salary arbitration on Sunday night, but the club and pitcher are far apart in their negotiations. Pettitte also is being courted by the Houston Astros.

New York also offered arbitration to left-hander Gabe White and backup catcher John Flaherty. The Yankees have agreed to a $775,000, one-year contract with Flaherty but not announced it. They are close to an agreement with White.

Relievers Jeff Nelson and Antonio Osuna were not offered arbitration and can't re-sign until May 1. New York also didn't offer arbitration to Roger Clemens, who is retiring.

espn
-------------

This may sound like a stupid question but how come its a minor-league deal?
Old 08 Dec 2003, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

by signing him to a minor league contract, he is not guaranteed the money unless he is on the major league roster for more than half the season.....this way, if he gets hurt or just isn't up to par, they can release him without owing him anything other than buyout money.....probably around 500,000 instead of the three million.....

case in point why they would do it this way.....the Angels still owe Kevin Appier 15 million over the next three years because they released him last year......MLB contracts are all guaranteed money with incentives, unlike say, the NFL where only a portion is guaranteed.....

hope that helps, Rebel.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2003, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

That's just it though....a minor league deal. Personally I don't see why bother with Wells. His pitching and velocity isn't what it used to be but that comes with age. He might be good to call up down the stretch for a 5th starter but I don't feel that he has the fire anymore to really contribute.
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2003, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

why not take a shot with a left-hander who has won over two hundred games.....three million is a paltry sum if he even wins 10 games for them.....and, like I said, its not guaranteed, so they can release him at little or no cost.....a pretty sound move, imo.....

Old 08 Dec 2003, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

I'd still be going after the likes of Colon and Maddux where you know you're going to get a more solid product. Wells towards the end of the season looked like he was fading, and granted the money figure kicks in if he makes the majors roster and not bad for a soldi pennant run down the stretch, but i'm not to sold on him.
Old 08 Dec 2003, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

ah alright. Thanks oeo.
Old 08 Dec 2003, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
YOU SCREWED MATT

I am the Icon can only hope to improveI am the Icon can only hope to improveI am the Icon can only hope to improveI am the Icon can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodice
That's just it though....a minor league deal. Personally I don't see why bother with Wells. His pitching and velocity isn't what it used to be but that comes with age. He might be good to call up down the stretch for a 5th starter but I don't feel that he has the fire anymore to really contribute.
They said the same thing last year. Last time I checked him and Pettite were the only decent ones on that staff during the regular season.
Old 08 Dec 2003, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Yeah and Pettite is still one hell of a pitcher and has several years to go. I guess after watching how he pitched in the post season and hitting 40, i'm wondering if Boomer actually has what it takes to go another full season. Hey if it works out that's great, i'm just saying that I think i'd go for what free agent pitchers I could first before worrying about Wells.
Old 08 Dec 2003, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
YOU SCREWED MATT

I am the Icon can only hope to improveI am the Icon can only hope to improveI am the Icon can only hope to improveI am the Icon can only hope to improve

You dont like Wells but you like Colon , Colon is just a cheeseburger away from being Wells.
Old 08 Dec 2003, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

the biggest reason they went after Wells is because he's a lefthander.....lefties that have shown any ability to throw strikes will have a job as long as they want one.....look at Jesse Orosco.....he's 47 and will sign with the Padres soon, probably.....

Old 08 Dec 2003, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I never said that I liked Colon. Everyone knows that i'm a Braves fan through and through. I'm just saying that you figured they'd go after Colon who can give them 2 to 4 more years compared to Wells who will play probably his last one this season. Has nothing to do with liking Colon over Wells or vice versa. I'm just not sold on him being as productive as he was last season.
Old 08 Dec 2003, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Last I heard Colon was headed to Anaheim.