ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

...and the firings begins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2003, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default ...and the firings begins

NEW YORK -- Rick Down is out as the New York Yankees' hitting coach, the first move in what figures to be a wild offseason for the World Series losers.

With club officials in Tampa, Fla., this week for meetings with owner George Steinbrenner, Down was told by phone Tuesday that the team will not renew his contract.

"I think we all knew it was coming," Down told the Daily News from his home in Las Vegas. "Whether they wanted to keep me or not is not up to me. Change of face is the reason given to me. They wanted somebody new to come in.

"I guess I wore out my welcome."

New York struggled at the plate during key moments in the World Series and lost to the Florida Marlins in six games, certainly a big reason Down is out.

"I'm fine with it. That's the way it is," Down told the New York Post. "With the exception of the World Series, offensively we had a good year."

New York batted .140 (7-for-50) with runners in scoring position during the World Series, though captain Derek Jeter said that the Yankees' hitting problems were not Down's fault.

"Rick Down is not in the box with us. Rick works hard," Jeter said Monday at Yankee Stadium.

The Yankees ranked third in the American League in runs (877) and fourth in slugging percentage (.453).

Down is the third batting instructor the Yankees have let go in the last four years, including Gary Denbo and Chris Chambliss.

And there will probably be more changes to manager Joe Torre's coaching staff. Bench coach Don Zimmer has said several times he won't be back, citing Steinbrenner as the reason, and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre isn't sure if he wants to return.

"Those expectations are very high in New York," Down told Newsday. "If you fall anything short of realizing your goal, something happens. I was part of what happens. That's the Yankee way."

espn

I wonder who is next...