ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

NFL preseason to stay the same

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default NFL preseason to stay the same

CHICAGO -- The trial balloon floated by Paul Tagliabue nearly two months ago in which the commissioner suggested it might be time to consider reducing the number of preseason games has been shot down even before it took flight.

There was a brief report on the matter during the opening session of a two-day league meeting that convened here Wednesday morning. ESPN.com has learned, however, that there is insufficient support leaguewide to continue moving forward with the initiative.

In fact, Tagliabue apprised owners that, after having discussed the issue with various committee chairmen, there is no reason to proceed with a formal study.

The influential competition committee could revisit the idea of cutting back the number of preseason games from the current four contests when it meets next March, but even that is a longshot, a member of the committee said on Wednesday morning.

"The prevailing opinion, I think by a wide margin, is that the status quo is fine," said Tampa Bay general manager Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee. "It won't change for the foreseeable future. I'm not one to deal in initials, but I would say that 'DOA' is pretty close to where this thing is at now."

Essentially, the idea is expected to simply die a quiet death, which is fine with owners and coaches who opposed it.

"It was the worst idea that I've heard in a long time," said Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney. "There's no support. No one is talking about it and it just isn't going to happen."

Tagliabue first suggested the idea in early September, in the wake of a spate of preseason injuries to some high-profile players, most notably quarterbacks Mike Vick of Atlanta and the New York Jets' Chad Pennington. The commissioner insisted that the notion was not a response to the injuries, but was rooted instead in competitive balance issues.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said he favored "any idea that reduced the preseason games," but added quickly that, should the league seek to expand the regular season, there would be financial ramifications.

Most coaches who addressed the concept said that they preferred to retain the preseason as it currently is, and some argued adamantly that they need four games to prepare their teams and to assess younger players.

"Personally, I'm for (reducing the preseason), but there really has been no groundswell, and all the coaches seem to want to keep the status quo," said Kansas City Chiefs team president Carl Peterson. "I think it will stay as is for the foreseeable future."

espn
Old 30 Oct 2003, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

preseason is a fucking bore. Why can't they just have scrimage games on their practice fields to get their players up to speed?
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2003, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Kara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICK

there is nothing wrong with preseason
Old 30 Oct 2003, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

yes there is, and you know it.
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2003, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

There isn't anything wrong with pre-season. Yeah, it may be a bore, but it's used to evaluate the younger talent, and for players to compete to make 2nd string, 3rd string, etc. Pre-season isn't here to entertain the fans. The thing that gets me, is veterans who know they will be starters, don't play with each other but a few snaps, sometimes none at all, so when the regular season starts, it still takes players a few weeks to start clicking. I think that there should be a minimum number of snaps ALL starters should take TOGETHER in the pre-season. They could meet that quota in the first game if they want to, they could make it over all 4 games, or make it over 2 or 3 or whatever they want, but they should play as a unit together for a certain amount of plays. That's just my take on it....
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote