ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Staley done in Philly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2003, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default Staley done in Philly

Team management feels he has burned bridges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Barring a change of heart by Philadelphia Eagles officials and coaches, holdout starting tailback Duce Staley has likely played his last game with the team, and could be traded once he finally reports to training camp after what is already a three-week absence.

The first half of the equation, with Staley ending his camp hiatus, could occur this week. The other half -- sending Staley to one of the two or three teams seriously pursuing the six-year veteran -- could then quickly follow.

No deal is imminent, however, and none will occur until Staley reports. Team sources told ESPN.com Saturday night that they don't want to create a perception that Staley "won" his holdout gambit by sitting out. Accordingly, they have informed Staley, through intermediaries, that he must first report if he wants to eventually end his relationship with the team that brought him into the league as a third-round choice in the 1997 draft.

"The feeling around here," said one Eagles source, "is that the bridges are burned. It will be hard for him to come back and play."

That said, no trade is likely to be consummated unless the team acquiring Staley gets him to agree to a contract extension in advance. Staley, 28, is in the final year of his current contract and no club would deal for him to have him for just one season. The tipoff that a trade isn't yet close: None of the teams interested in adding Staley have yet gained permission from the Eagles to initiate extension negotiations with the tailback.

One team prominently mentioned in most trade rumors is Chicago, which is concerned about the performance of 2001 league rookie of the year Anthony Thomas, who slumped in 2002 and has not improved much in camp this summer.

The Eagles might also want to add a veteran backup tailback before swapping Staley, which could slow any trade discussions as well. Third-year veteran Correll Buckhalter is all but set to supplant Staley in the lineup, but he is coming off a knee injury sustained in a 2002 mini-camp that sidelined him for the entire season.

Second-year veteran Brian Westbrook, projected as the Eagles' third-down tailback, suffered a bruised knee last week. Undrafted free agent rookie Reno Mahe has looked good in preseason play, and had a very solid game Saturday night at Pittsburgh in a victory, but isn't ready yet to assume a significant role. For a team with Super Bowl aspirations, the Eagles will want to cover all bases before dealing Staley summarily.

Yet two sources reiterated Saturday night that Staley, scheduled to earn a base salary of $2.2 million this year, is no longer in the team's plans.

The former South Carolina star has rushed for over 1,000 yards in three of his six years in the league, including 1,029 yards in 2002. His best season came in 1999, when Staley had 1,273 yards, but the following year, he suffered a mid-foot fracture that slowed his career.

Staley has 4,344 yards and 17 touchdowns on 1,104 career carries. He has started in 61 of his 82 regular-season appearances.

This is good news for me. Stupid Philly always beats down Dallas. And so does Staley. So if he leaves they probably wont have a good RB.

But there's always the bads news too. Staley is the only RB I have in fantasy football.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

They have Correll Buckhalter and in his rookie season he showed signs of being a solid back. He missed all of season with an injury suffered in a mini camp I believe. I've heard a lot of things about him being able to be a feature back.

I can think of one team that should REALLY look into trading for Staley and getting a contract extension in place for him, that being my Dallas Cowboys. I seriously doubt though that they would trade him to their rival.

Oh yeah, good news for me is, I drafted Buckhalter in hopes that something like this would happen with Staley
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2003, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

lol, Rebel just can't get anything going for him in fantasy.

Staley is a decent back, so there will be interest shown by other teams.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2003, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

I was going to take Staley in the draft..but Then I figured this would happen..
Old 18 Aug 2003, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

^I didn't even know that he was holding out when I drafted him.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Womenomics

RJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of light

more playing time for Brian Westbrook. Anyways wouldn't be shocked to see Gruden make a play for Duce considering that Pittman could be facing jail time and Thomas Jones still hasn't lived up to the potential of being a number 7 overall pick.
RJ Suave is offline   Reply With Quote