ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Nfl Europe To Go Along With Season Despite War...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2003, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
TR(UTH)IPLE H

Default Nfl Europe To Go Along With Season Despite War...

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- NFL Europe will proceed as scheduled this season despite war in Iraq.

"There was a strong consensus to play the season,'' commissioner Paul Tagliabue said after NFL owners decided overwhelmingly Monday to send players overseas.

Players on the six teams have been practicing in Florida and will begin leaving Tuesday and Wednesday for Europe to begin play April 4-5. Three of the teams are based in Germany, with the others in Spain, Scotland and the Netherlands.

The players had said they wanted to go despite fears about travel. They made that clear during a conference call Sunday among Doug Quinn, the senior vice president of NFL international, and the general managers of the six teams.

"We're an American business in Europe,'' Tagliabue said. "Like other American businesses, we have to continue on.''

NFL Europe is primarily a training league that has turned out such stars as two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner of St. Louis and left tackle Barry Sims of AFC champion Oakland. It has existed in various forms for more than a decade but is considered more an investment to develop talent than a profit-making venture.

The three German teams are the Berlin Thunder, Frankfurt Galaxy and Rhein Fire. Some league officials had been concerned that anti-war and anti-American feelings in that country could make things difficult.

The other teams are the Amsterdam Admirals, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores.

The meetings officially got under way Monday, with a variety of issues on the agenda. They started with Tagliabue's address on the state of the league.

The one that could have the biggest impact on the league involves a change in the overtime system. A proposal would allow both teams to get the ball in overtime, instead of the current first-to-score-wins system. That comes after a season in which there were a record 25 overtime games, and 40 percent were won on the first possession.

The NFL's committee on diversity met for 90 minutes. But chairman Dan Rooney, the Pittsburgh Steelers' owner, said there was no decision on what action, if any, to take against the Detroit Lions in the hiring of coach Steve Mariucci.

Rooney had said after the hiring that the Lions failed to meet the new league guidelines to interview minority candidates. The Lions contend they were turned down by five candidates who believed Mariucci was sure to get the job in Detroit after being fired by the 49ers.

Credit:Espn.com

These Euro guys really want to get in the League, It takes alot of guts to do this at these times. I don't really watch it, i just posted this because it might spark discussion...
Old 24 Mar 2003, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

I dont see a problem with it, I hate when all these things get shut down becasue of the war. War is not a pleasent thing, dont get me wrong on that but I feel that taking these things away just places war on peoples' minds even more.

Maybe this is a little risky since its closer to the war but I still dont think its gonna be a problem.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2003, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default Re: Nfl Europe To Go Along With Season Despite War...

Quote:
Originally posted by THE TRUTH X

These Euro guys really want to get in the League, It takes alot of guts to do this at these times. I don't really watch it, i just posted this because it might spark discussion...
Well I just wanted to let you know its not really Euro players playing in Euro NFL. The leagues more designed for practice squad and 3rd, and 4th string players. But there has to be a few Euro players on each team.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Re: Nfl Europe To Go Along With Season Despite War...

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Poppa Pump
Well I just wanted to let you know its not really Euro players playing in Euro NFL. The leagues more designed for practice squad and 3rd, and 4th string players. But there has to be a few Euro players on each team.
Yeah pretty much, they are they guys who just arn't good enough for the NFL. Guess they just play becasue they love to play. I've never really watched a NFL Europe game, could be alright I guess.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote