ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives > Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin This is where useless threads go. This forum is read-only.

GWOAT Round 1 Diamond Dallas Page vs Jim Garvin
View Poll Results: GWOAT
Diamond Dallas Page 12 70.59%
Jim Garvin 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2004, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kryptonite

Default GWOAT Round 1 Diamond Dallas Page vs Jim Garvin

which of these two moves on?

Old 07 Feb 2004, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Extreme.

Darkstar Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...

DDP gets my vote...I didn't watch him wrestle a lot though
Old 07 Feb 2004, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Silence is nothing.

Kurok is on a distinguished road

BANG!! I mean who can say no to DDP?!

What about me? What about Kurok?
Old 07 Feb 2004, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

During his wrestling days, Garvin played the fun-loving, easy-going, party animal who never seemed to take life too seriously. Talking to him over the phone, one discovers that the Jimmy Garvin we saw in the ring wasn't far removed from the real life person.

A seasoned veteran, Garvin saw it all during his 23 years in the business before retiring in 1992. He worked for some of the biggest territories and the most powerful promoters in the business, including Jerry Jarrett in Memphis, Jim Crockett Jr. in the Carolinas, Jim Barnett in Atlanta, Nick Gulas in Nashville, Verne Gagne in Minnesota and Fritz Von Erich in Dallas.

As part of his travels, Garvin spent several years in Eddie Graham's Florida promotion. He had three different runs in the Sunshine State and considers the time he spent there among his most memorable.

He was trained by the late Hiro Matsuda, the long time junior heavyweight standout in the promotion and Graham's right hand man and in-ring policeman.

Canadian fans best remember Garvin from his 1985 stint in the Montreal territory and his days in Verne Gagne's AWA promotion which promoted in Manitoba and Northern Ontario.

During the later part of his career, he ventured from territory to territory alongside his valet and wife Patty, better known to wrestling fans as the curvaceous Precious.

Over his career, Garvin has seen the business change right before his eyes. He was on the front lines as a foot solider for Jim Crockett when his NWA outfit was battling Vince McMahon's WWF in an ugly promotional war. As Crockett grew greater and greater in debt, he was forced to sell his promotion off.

Garvin was wrestling for Crockett in 1988 when media mogul Ted Turner bought out the company and turned it from a regional territory into a national entity. Garvin feels Crockett could not have won the promotional war with the WWF and that it was the right move on Crockett's part to sell the company to Turner.

After the buyout he was partnered with Michael Hayes and the two re-formed the Freebirds trio with Terry Gordy. Aside from their wrestling duties, Garvin and Hayes also shared commentating duties for a while with Lance Russell on WCW's syndicated TV programs.

In 1989, the Freebirds reigned as world tag team champions and had one of the top spots in the promotion. Then Ric Flair took over as booker and Garvin and Hayes quickly found themselves on the outside looking in.

As house show business began to taper off in the early '90s, WCW cut their touring schedule back dramatically while still paying exorbitant wrestler salaries. Wrestlers were making more money than ever before and were working less.

WCW was losing good money after bad for several years as executive producers such as Jim Herd and Kip Frey could not manage to bring the company into financial stability. In 1992, Bill Watts was appointed executive producer in an attempt to shake things up and stop the bleeding.

Garvin is still involved in wrestling. He's worked a few shots for Jacques Rougeau's International Wrestling 2000 promotion based out of Montreal and watches wrestling occasionally on TV.

2 x NWA / WCW U.S. tag team champion
WCW / NWA six man tag team champion with micheal hayes and badstreet
4 x's NWA American world champion
NWA/WCW World tag team champion with micheal hayes
NWA Florida tag team champion with Steve Keirn
GWF tag team champion with Terry Gordy ....last tag team to hold titles and retired with them
3 x's World class world champion
awa wrold tag team champion with steven regal *not the wwe regal*
WPW champion, last one ever

that's just the tip of the iceberg and while garvin might nto have been a major world champion, when it came to tag team action and much more he is the better wrestler imo.
Old 07 Feb 2004, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

Well this is an interesting one. Its a wrestler versus his manager. DDP was the manager of of Jimmy Jam at one point before he came into wrestling himself. It will be hard to compare these two because Jimmy retired when Page started.....

DDP has only been an active wrestler for about 9 years. Which to me hurts his case a great deal, only being in the game for 9 years makes it kind of hard to be the greatest. But for this round it could be debatable, I guess? DDP was like the flashy jobber for WCW at one time, and then over time he turned into the working mans wrestler. Self Proclaimed peoples champ of WCW. He had some fueds with Johnny B. Badd, that always left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know whether it was because the fueds were bad or the charecters themselevse were bad. In 96 he won the battle bowl. He had some decent match's against Marcus Bagwell and Eddy Gerruero. DDP got his shinnning break once the NWO showed up on board. Since Page was a former manager of both Nash and Hall, there was anticipation that he would join. But that never really happend in the begining. And once Nash and Hall came around to asking him to join, it was to late, as he felt he should have been one of the first member. Here Page got a nice push in fueding with the NWO, each and every week. Guys like Savage and Hennig made Page able to have some great fueds. Hennig and Page would battle over the US title. And then later Page would fued with Ravens Flock. Having constint battles with them every week too. Around this time is when Page won the his first WCW World title. In a 4 way match, and in the end of the match the fans were booing the hell out of Page after the win. Normally I would pump up the fact that an individual was a World champion however Page held the WCW 3 times, and all three of those times don't even add up to 1 month. So I really don't care about his title reigns as champ being that he was never really a defending champ, which is a big part about being champion. He went on to have a few fueds with Flair, then Bagwell, then Disco Inforno, then on and off with Kanyon, and Jeff Jarrett. In WWF he was given another gimmick and the Euro title. He's an alright wrestler but nothing special about Pete to me inside of that ring. I always thought Page was good when he had Kanyon by his side.

Then you take Jimmy Jam Garvin. Labled Gorgious Jimmy at one time. This is the man Dude Love must have been trying to be. It was like if you took Dude Love and made him a serious charecter with a respectable valet, and some good inside the ring wrestling. Garvin is the step son to Ronnie Garvin, so I guess you could dub him a second generational wrestler as well. This man was a wrestler who worked in different parts of the country working for different promoters. Verne Gagne in Minnesota, Jerry Jarrett in Memphis, Jim Crockett Jr. in the Carolinas, Nick Gulas in Nashville, Jim Barnett in Atlanta and Fritz Von Erich in Dallas. In AWA Garvin was respected. Teaming with Steven Regal and showing the world how good a tag team could be, being scientific as well as free sparited. He was a member of the Fabulous Freebirds, and he and Michael Hayes would be WCW World tag champs, and would have some good battles over the titles. Jimmy Jam was a very colorful wrestler, and he and Terry Gordy would go on to be the last Freebirds every to hold titles again. He could draw a good match out of just about anyone.

Though This is kind of like a toss up, to me Garvin being around the business and wrestling all over the The world for about 22 years, just outshines Page's NWO push for 2 years. My vote is with Garvin

Old 07 Feb 2004, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.
Send a message via MSN to DC

Garvin hands down..I mean he came out with Precious nuff said.
Old 07 Feb 2004, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Neil #1 Fighter is on a distinguished road

ddp awesome wrestler
Old 08 Feb 2004, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
I just don't give a fuck!

Location: Shit Jersey...I want to get the fuck out of this state
SPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICK
Send a message via AIM to SPEED Send a message via MSN to SPEED Send a message via Yahoo to SPEED

Voted for DDP, I watched him wrestle more than Garvin
Old 08 Feb 2004, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Spinal_JB_Tap is on a distinguished road

problem is, i think DDP was the oldest noob of wrestling, wasnt he in his 30's or something when he started, I vote Garvin

WWE
Worst Wrestling Entertainment

Evolution Is A Mystery
Is It Hell, There Crap

Whos Next
You In Jobber Case [Hopefully]

Old 08 Feb 2004, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kryptonite

I had to vote DDP, and that not a bad thing....thats a good thing