ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives > Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin This is where useless threads go. This forum is read-only.

GWOAT Round 1 Ron Garvin vs Harley Race
View Poll Results: GWOAT
Ron Garvin 0 0%
Harley Race 13 100.00%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2004, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kryptonite

Default GWOAT Round 1 Ron Garvin vs Harley Race

Only one of these guys can advance...which one will it be?

Old 06 Feb 2004, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

While garvin had success in puerto rico and his 15 minutes of fame with his short nwa world title reign, harley race was the nwa world champion the most times before Ric Flair eclipsed that mark. It's a shame that the wwf totally made race to look like a loser and a joke in his final days. Race in a no contest here.
Old 06 Feb 2004, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

You got to former NWA World Heavyweight Champions. Two men who have had pretty good careers.

Harley Race was a 7 time NWA Champion, and has had many memeroable match's over his career. At the begining of his career he was in a really bad car accident. One that would have the doctors say that Race would never be able to walk again let alone wrestle. Race being the caliber athlete that he was, was determined to prove all wrong and he made his comeback. Around the mid 60's. With partner Larry the Ax Hennig(Curt Hennig's father) Race would form a pretty good tag team. In the AWA the team of Hennig and Race would go on to win the AWA Tag titles 2 times. Race defeated Dory Funk Jr. on May 23, 1973 for the NWA World title. This I believe was a huge win because if memory serves me correctly Funk was the NWA champion for 4 years straight before that. So Race had started a new era in wrestling with this win. Over the next decade people would see Race fued with Terry Funk, Jack Briscoe, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes and many others. Flair would be the man who would ultimatly end the reign of Race as champion. In 86' Race was NWA Missori Champion and was forced to forfiet that title because he would leave and embark on a career in the WWF. He came into WWF as Handsome Harley Race, and had the Brain Bobby Heenan by his side. Later that year Race would win the KOTR tournement and be known as King Harley Race. I don't really know what to say about his preformence in WWF and what he did. It was a sad showing to say the least. And these are my actually memeries of him when I was a kid growing up. He was older at this point and was eventually sidelined with injuries. Which lead to Haku and Heenan turning on Race. Race went back to WCW later after the WWF stint and became a manager. He went on to managed 2 WCW World champions to gold. Race is an early NWA legend who I myself don't know a shit load about besides a few things he did.

Then you take Ronnie Garvin. The ruggedness of this guy was good. WWF I think had the right kind of name for him. The right kind of respect? Another Story. Around 62' Ronnie Garvin debute in the wrestling world. He was young 17 or 18. And named "Hands of Stone." The man was suppose to be tuff as nails. He would team with Terry Garvin and they would travel the south as the Garvin brothers. Winning a few titles along the way. At one point Garvin and Ole Anderson were tag team champs, in NWA Florida. Some where around the 2nd or 3rd time Garvin had one the NWA National TV Championship he was also given the nickname of One Man Gang....(Not the fat guy name Akeem either). On 9/25/87 Ron Garvin and Ric Flair would finally meet in the middle of the ring for the NWA World Title, and the largest accomplishment of Garvins career was obtained that night when he defeated the Nature Boy and won the world title. After losing the title Garvin engaged in some classic battles with the Varsity Club. He left a few months later and showed up in WWF were he was Rugged Ronnie. Using the Scorpion Deathlock before Hart in the WWF, Garvin was involed in a fued with Valentine and Bravo for the most part. Most times losing the bulk to Bravo but coming out on top with Valentine. I thought the Hammer v. Stones was a good fued for both the ring veterans at the time. I would have to look back and see if I still think that. Later after nothing really came out of working for the WWF, Garvin would go on to SMW. Where he would have a fued with Tony Anthony and Paul Orndorff. In a bitter fued with Orndorff Garvin showed he was able to be a brawler still. Then he had some of his last match's with Kevin Sullivan.

Looking at both of these guys, they were both great tuff men. I happen to be a fan of Ronnie Garvin and liked him when I was growing up. I can't say the same for Race. However I think that Harley will go down as more of a legend then Garvin and I think that he is more suited to win hold the honor of the title over Garvin....My vote goes to Race even though I don't want it to.

Old 06 Feb 2004, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

I go with Race...by not a large margin..but a substantial one...It seems Race is a more forgotten legend..as in..people don't appreciate how much he truly did...Im not taking anything away from Garvin..But I just think Race is better..plain and simple..
Old 07 Feb 2004, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.
Send a message via MSN to DC

like earlier explained two former champs, although ron garvin had it for a short time..had this been some of the other wrestlers garvin was facing i would have went with him, but race is a great champion and gets the vote.
Old 07 Feb 2004, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Extreme.

Darkstar Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...

harly race
Old 08 Feb 2004, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Spinal_JB_Tap is on a distinguished road

Harley Race gets the vote from me, i feel he has accomplished more

WWE
Worst Wrestling Entertainment

Evolution Is A Mystery
Is It Hell, There Crap

Whos Next
You In Jobber Case [Hopefully]