ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives > Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin This is where useless threads go. This forum is read-only.

GWOAT Round 1: Steve Austin vs. Terry Gordy
View Poll Results: GWOAT
Steve Austin 22 88.00%
Terry Gordy 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2004, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.
Send a message via MSN to DC
Default GWOAT Round 1: Steve Austin vs. Terry Gordy

Well it's Steve Austin, whether he is Stone Cold or Stunning Steve truely a great wrestler..Austin started out in Texas and moved his way up working in WCW as Stunning Steve..he won gold there including the US and the tag titles as a part of the Dangerous Alliance managed by Paul Heyman and as a member of the Hollywood Blondes with Brian Pillman..after a short stint in the ECW he went on to the WWE as the Ringmaster and soon to become Stone cold who we all know today..Terry "bam bam" gordy unfortunately is no longer with us ( on a side note i have seen his son Ray wrestle many times...he will be in the big time in the next two year if not earlier) Gordy was an original member of the Faboulous Freebirds and for a big guy could actually wrestle..Gordy is a true NWA legend...I am sure Dre will be able to help me out on this one.
Old 05 Feb 2004, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kryptonite

Went with Steve...even tho I hate his guts and wish horrible things upon him, he definately made a HUGE impact on wrestling

Old 05 Feb 2004, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

Man is this another Legend v. Legend match. Stunning Steve Austin was one of my favorite heels growing up. Terry Bam Bam Gordy was always one of those heels that you had to watch and see what was gonna happen.

Terry Gordy came into wrestling in the late 70's, around then he was going by the name Terry Mecca. I guess his first big claim to fame was when he and and Michael Hayes defeated the Mid-South Tag Champions Bill Watts and Buck Robely for the titles. They would go on to dominate the tag division. Soon Hayes and Gordy were fueding with JYD and Robley. The fued would go down as a nice one and would lead to the Freebirds(2 at the time) blinding JYD. And this would set up some classic times in Gordy career as he would engage in a fued with JYD and have a few Blind JunkYard Dog Collar Matchs. People ate this up. Later the two would meet up with Buddy Roberts. The Freebirds were truly hated, and did a great job of obtaining heat from the crowd. The most popular rivalry in my eyes had to come when the Birds started fueding with the Von Erichs, some would call the on going fued in different promotions epic. The Freebirds would fly for several years before Gordy went his seperate ways. He ended up in UWF, which was like an 80's version of ECW almost. Nice violence mixed with lots of blood and good wrestling. There Gordy would capture the UWF Heavyweight Championship. He would later have tohand the title over when he was in a car accident. In UWF is where some first got to see a nice Fued between Steve Williams and Terry Gordy. They would have a nice fued for several months. Later Gordy and Death would team up and head to AJPW in Japan. Over in Japan Gordy became known for his brutal punches, lariats, and powerbombs, but also for his high octane, southern lifestyle away from the ring. Truly what a Power Wrestler should wrestle like. Terry Bam Bam Gordy was the first foreign wrestler to win the All Japan's Triple Crown, defeating Jumbo Tsuruta on June 5, 1990 in Chiba. He would win the title a second time, but injuries came in front of this.... Death and Gordy headed back to the states around late 91'. There Death and Gordy would fuck up the tag division, and would go on to be the most dominate tag team of 92' In that year people like me watch in horror as Gordy and Doc would man handle the Stiener Bro's, whoop their ass' like no one ever saw before, and take the WCW World tag titles from the Steiners, making history as they combined the NWA and WCW belts together. With the world in his hands around the age of 33 Gordy OD on drugs and was in a coma for about a week. That was in 93' in 94' he came back to wrestling, though some say he was never the same. He joined back in the Freebirds, and he and Jim Garvin won the GWF would tag titles. If I'm correct this was the last time the Freebirds would hold gold. Gordy had a classic match in ECW known as the battle of the Bam Bam's against Bam Bigelow. Gordy was truly a great big man in the sport. There is so much I have left out about him, but one can't really cover some of his work in Texas and the preformences he put on.

Steve Austin, is a little easier because people still get to see him talk today. in about 90' Austin debute. He would form a tag team in USWA with his mentor Chris Adams, and then they would go on to fued with each others. Austin managed by Paul Percy Pringle Bearer, would be known as a hard-ass tough ass heel. In 91 he would go to WCW. He was quickly appreciated for his skills inside of the ring. And went on to become the TV champion of WCW. He would later join the Dangerious Alliance and there he would have even more spotlight. He lost his TV title to Barry Windham, but gained it back later and had a pretty good feud with Windham. Austin would defend his title over a long length of time and had some pretty good match's with Dustin Rhodes. He would continue to have some great fueds with guys like Sting and Steamboat in the Alliance. Once Heyman left WCW the Allicance was broken up and Austin teamed with Brain Pillman to form a successful tag team known as the Hollywood Blonds. This was a formatable team and had some great matchs. Beating Steamboat and Douglas to gain the Tag titles, they would go on to defend them and pick fun at Flair in an angle. Well fucking with Flair brought on one of my favortie times of actually enjoyng Steve Austin. As Flair and Anderson would battle the blonds in heated fueds. Pillman would take an injury, and the Blondes would go on to drop the titles to the Horsemen: Anderson and Roma. With the help of Rob Parker(Tenessee Lee) The Blonds would break up and Austin would engage his eye on the US title. Beatin then US Champ Dustin Rhodes in a pretty classic match Austin became US champion, and had some nice fueds where he proved he was worthy of being a champion. Having some great fueds with Marc Mero, Great Muta, Rhodes and Steamboat. Was truly a great year for Austin. He would lose the belt to Steamboat, and then win it back on forfiet. And then in a shocking manner, get his ass whipped all through the ring by Hacksaw Jim Duggan. This would be a shocker to someone like me but Austin dropped the title to Duggan. And the decline of his career went with this, as Austin had injured his knee, at some point in the near future. Wrestling in Japan he tore something else, in his upper body(I can't remember everything). It was there that he was laid off from WCW, and here when Austin would learn to use his mouth and more gimmick to get over to the fans. He had a quick stint in ECW, going bald and looking like shit, He was called the Stevster or something along the lines. He may have been sign to ECW, but he wasn't wrestling in ECW. Mostly Austin used the mic, possiably because he was still healing form the injuries that he had before. Around 96's Austin showed his face in WWF, where he was known as the ring matser. He left Dibiase and won the KOTR deaming himself Stone Cold. A new flame had been lit for Austin and he took it and ran with it. Austin enterd the Rumble in 97 and was tossed out, but sense the refs didn't see it he was allowed to continue in the rumble and ended winning it. Hart and Austin would meet and both men would put forth great effort in this fued, as it is what I think Austin's last good fued inside of the ring. Late 97's Owen Hart botched a piledriver that would (IMO) effect Austin's career even worse then the injuries before did. Austin still was able to crawl behind Owen in the IC match and scratch his ass, and what would be the worse and weakest looking role up in the history of prowrestling Austin became the IC champ. This is where it gets good. Austin is champ with Mick Foley and he is the IC champ also. What WWF did with this was the best thing ever. They made Austin Stunned Hart and Ross, and the Headbangers got the belts. I think? He couldn't wrestle so he used the mic and stunner after stunner to stay over with the crowd. No one was safe . Austin got a bit better and returned to the ring. Fueding with Owen and Rocky and Vince for a while. With Muck Fley in the mix. Austin and Taker became a team when Foley and Kane teamed up. Austin and McMahone fueded even more, and HHH was in play now. Austin had a breif fued with Rakishi, and then around 2001 pretty much stopped wrestling. He was more of an actor then a wrestler, appearing in a match just enough so expecting people wouldn't realize this. He leads the Alliance of ECW/WCW against WWE, mostly talking. He and Angle had a fued where metals and bodies were stolen. Austin is the world champion and later drops the title to Kurt, but wins it back shortly. He feuds with Angle a little more. Later he fueds with NWO, which tanked and skipping a head becomes the GM of Raw and then the Sherriff.(which anther term for GM I guess).

When I compare these 2 guys. I see spirts of each mans career. Austin had about 8 years of great wrestling and Gordy has about 13 years. I gotta go with Bam Bam on the fact that he had more of a wrestling role in his wrestling career. And adding to the factor that he is a big man and wrestled well also makes me lean towards Gordy.......

Old 05 Feb 2004, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.
Send a message via MSN to DC

To know the history of Terry Gordy and met the guys he trained before his death has been an honor for me..Dre made some great points, and i really like steve austin, when he was down here in WCW stunning steve was one of my fav heels..however the freebirds were one of my fav teams of all time...when looking at the two it is a great first round matchup and although i have the feeling he won't win i want to make it respectable and go with Gordy.
Old 05 Feb 2004, 05:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

I don't hate Steve... hes a good guy. He can have my vote.
Old 05 Feb 2004, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Spinal_JB_Tap is on a distinguished road

when i started voting in these polls i decided that if Austin came up i would not vote for him, but Dre reminded me of his Stunning Steve gimmick in wCw, the first match i ever watched him in was against Beautiful Bobby when he won and got the TV title, i know im going to kick myself for this but i vote for Stone Cold

WWE
Worst Wrestling Entertainment

Evolution Is A Mystery
Is It Hell, There Crap

Whos Next
You In Jobber Case [Hopefully]

Old 05 Feb 2004, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

I know it's popular to not like Austin these days, and there's plenty of reason's why, but you know what, he was better than Gordy.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 05 Feb 2004, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hanh!

Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.

SCSA gets my vote
Old 05 Feb 2004, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

I got to go with Austin Here...Gordy is great..don't get me wrong...But Steve held the company on his shoulders for a stretch of time...he gets my vote..
Old 05 Feb 2004, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
<<TROUBLE>>

<TROUBLE>> is on a distinguished road

Based on the fact of who gave the industry more, I have to say Austin. I agree he carried the industry on his shoulders for awhile. That's means more then just taking a beating in the ring.
Old 05 Feb 2004, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

I want to go with Gordy but he was always more suited for tag teams, though he did quite well in singles action in japan. Sadly enough I had to take Austin.
Old 06 Feb 2004, 08:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
I WANNA GO FAST!!!!

Ricky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Bobby

Stone Cold Steve Austin....he was my favorite growing up w/ the Attitude Era....
Old 06 Feb 2004, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
I just don't give a fuck!

Location: Shit Jersey...I want to get the fuck out of this state
SPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICK
Send a message via AIM to SPEED Send a message via MSN to SPEED Send a message via Yahoo to SPEED

I got to go with my favorite wrestler SCSA, he will always be my favorite
Old 06 Feb 2004, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Orphaned.

SodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of Famer

Austin
Old 06 Feb 2004, 05:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Extreme.

Darkstar Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...

SCSA for sure....