ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

BBC, Unbiased!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2007, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC
Default BBC, Unbiased!

The BBC wisely refused to show a drama about a man who was only doing his job, so bugger off that twat. Now, BBC is going to run this lovely comedy

Quote:
April 15, 2007
Beheadings turned into black comedy
Olivia Cole

ONE of Britain’s best known authors has been shortlisted for a national writing prize for a story that takes a blackly comic approach to the execution of hostages in Iraq.

Weddings and Beheadings by Hanif Kureishi — writer of My Beautiful Laundrette and The Buddha of Suburbia — tells the story of a jobbing cameraman in Baghdad who films executions to earn a living and jokes about it as a way to cope.

The author had the idea for the work, shortlisted for the National Short Story Prize, after seeing grainy video footage on the television news of the scenes leading up to beheadings. This led to him imagining the life of the man behind the camera.

“The idea started with a joke,” said Kureishi, 52. “I thought, what if you were a cameraman, having to do these kind of jobs and you had a business card that said ‘Weddings and Beheadings’? I thought it was hilarious and told my children about it, but they just stared at me blankly.”

He added: “Seeing the footage, I started to think what about that wobbly camera — what is the story of that bloke trembling behind the camera? You’re only going to get one take, you know, would be the line.”

Kureishi said he saw the person doing the filming not as a terrorist but as an innocent roped in for his ability to use a video camera, “like any young guy, living in Camden wanting to make movies, except that he happens to be in Baghdad”.

Kureishi denied his story was disrespectful to victims and their families. “Very black comedy can be a way to look at these things,” he said. “We have to have some way of looking at awful things in the world.”

The BBC is due to broadcast the story this week on Radio 4.

But Alex Linklater, associate editor of Prospect magazine, founder of the prize, said the BBC may alter this plan, particularly while the whereabouts of Alan Johnston, its abducted Gaza correspondent, are still unknown.

“As with all fiction where there are close parallels to real news, it’s a question of sensitivity,” said Linklater.

The sensitivity may be increased by the fact that British hostages in addition to Iraqis and others have had their murders by insurgents filmed.

In 2004, Margaret Hassan, an aid worker, was shot and Kenneth Bigley, an engineer, was beheaded. Footage of both executions was posted on the internet.

The winner of the short story prize, which is worth £15,000, will be announced on April 23. “You can’t write anything these days without getting a prize,” quipped Kureishi. “Can you imagine, £15,000 for a short story? They’re usually published for £75 or £200.”

The author did not say which killings he had been watching when he had the idea for his short story, but he described his protagonist as “someone driven slowly mad. I started to think about how if you filmed these things, then in your mind you would see them over and over again”.

The characters develop black humour partly as a way to cope with the horror of their work. In one scene, the cameraman jokes to a friend: “Don’t bury your head in the sand, my friend. Don’t go losing your head now, chin up”.

Philip Tew, professor of English at Brunel university and expert on 20th century fiction, described the story as “as an effective piece of writing” but added: “I find it hard to believe terrorists would use anyone outside their orbit to film beheadings.”

Kureishi was unrepentant about his shock tactics. “I’d like to be more extreme, not less,” he said. “I didn’t think about whether people would be shocked.”
Nick Berg says, "Bludy brihlyant, guvner!" I also hope Alan Johnston's family remember to tivo it for him.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

Yeah, OK... I love British comedy, but suck my dick on this one BBC.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Explosion
Yeah, OK... I love British comedy, but suck my dick on this one BBC.
I'm really looking forward to this. I hope it wins some awards. They'll prolly get fantastic ratings in the middle east

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 16 Apr 2007, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kaj
Jobber

Kaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellationKaj is about to climax from said public fellation

Meh, no-one ever pretended the BBC were totally unbiased but the fact its on radio 4 will mean it will drift in anonymity pretty quickly

I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are
!
Kaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaj
Meh, no-one ever pretended the BBC were totally unbiased but the fact its on radio 4 will mean it will drift in anonymity pretty quickly
The BBC is a proven fact unbiased. Foxnews is the devil. If the devil were real.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 17 Apr 2007, 02:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

You are a bitch, Exo.

Next time someone gets in a debate with Exo, can they make sure that he wins so that he doesn't have a cry afterwards?
Old 17 Apr 2007, 02:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC
Send a message via AIM to CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
The BBC is a proven fact unbiased. Foxnews is the devil. If the devil were real.
O the devil is real all right....

CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
You are a bitch, Exo.

Next time someone gets in a debate with Exo, can they make sure that he wins so that he doesn't have a cry afterwards?
What's a matter. Don't think chopping off heads makes for good comedy? I mean, I never really understood that british crap anyway, but you're a fan, so this must be something you're really looking forward to

But hey, I've got some other ideas for some groundbreaking television.

Picture it, two men, sitting outside a cafe, when suddenley an explosion rocks the city. The two men look at each other and say, "Blow a fuse mate?" "Aye, 'nother pint laddie!". Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the drunk bumbling bombers of "Have A Nice Day From The IRA!" Follow the exploits of two young men with little hope of a future decide that the best way to earn a buck is to join the IRA and carry out bombings. But since they're so drunk, they're often misplacing their bombs and blowing the wrong buildings up. Often, with hilarious results!

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 17 Apr 2007, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
sleek & shiny™

pyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to pyXL

Woah... this thread is out of date.

Firstly, the BBC have pulled this show... although I've lost the link to the article... I'll find it... gimme a while...

Anyway... the IRA called (another) ceasefire in 1997... and in 2005 completely ended their "military campaign" by decommissioning their weapons...
Old 17 Apr 2007, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyXL
Woah... this thread is out of date.

Firstly, the BBC have pulled this show... although I've lost the link to the article... I'll find it... gimme a while...

Anyway... the IRA called (another) ceasefire in 1997... and in 2005 completely ended their "military campaign" by decommissioning their weapons...
Who gives a shit. IRA bombings are still funny.

Maybe they'll do a show about 2 fags dying of aids in the hospital. That sounds like a great opportunity for some dry brittish humor and some charmingly black commedy.

Or they can do a show about a couple nazi agents who con stupid jews into coming over to thier fat camp and show them how to really "feel the burn!"

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 17 Apr 2007, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
sleek & shiny™

pyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to pyXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Who gives a shit. IRA bombings are still funny.

Maybe they'll do a show about 2 fags dying of aids in the hospital. That sounds like a great opportunity for some dry brittish humor and some charmingly black commedy.

Or they can do a show about a couple nazi agents who con stupid jews into coming over to thier fat camp and show them how to really "feel the burn!"
OK...

Your "arguments" are increasing nonsensical.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 03:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyXL
OK...

Your "arguments" are increasing nonsensical.
What's a matter? You don't think fags dying of aids makes for a genuine situational comedy? Well, you can't make everyone happy. Guess you'll just have to settle with beheadings.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 17 Apr 2007, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
What's a matter. Don't think chopping off heads makes for good comedy? I mean, I never really understood that british crap anyway, but you're a fan, so this must be something you're really looking forward to

But hey, I've got some other ideas for some groundbreaking television.

Picture it, two men, sitting outside a cafe, when suddenley an explosion rocks the city. The two men look at each other and say, "Blow a fuse mate?" "Aye, 'nother pint laddie!". Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the drunk bumbling bombers of "Have A Nice Day From The IRA!" Follow the exploits of two young men with little hope of a future decide that the best way to earn a buck is to join the IRA and carry out bombings. But since they're so drunk, they're often misplacing their bombs and blowing the wrong buildings up. Often, with hilarious results!
Chopping heads off does make good comedy - it was the essence of one of my favourite episodes of Blackadder - but that and Iraq is far too soon, and it would certainly strike a nerve. Did I really have to explain?
Old 17 Apr 2007, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
Chopping heads off does make good comedy - it was the essence of one of my favourite episodes of Blackadder - but that and Iraq is far too soon, and it would certainly strike a nerve. Did I really have to explain?
Yes you do. Because you're the type of person who thinks decapitation is amusing and that it's only "too soon" for this. Maybe next week.

But hey, pyxl says it's been years since the IRA disbanded, so that's should be too soon, should it?

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 17 Apr 2007, 07:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Yes you do. Because you're the type of person who thinks decapitation is amusing and that it's only "too soon" for this. Maybe next week.

But hey, pyxl says it's been years since the IRA disbanded, so that's should be too soon, should it?
Really? When did I say that?