ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

BBC, bias exposed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2007, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC
Default BBC, bias exposed

Quote:
Hero's tale is 'too positive' for the BBC

By Chris Hastings, Arts and Media Editor, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 11:56pm BST 07/04/2007

Amid the deaths and the grim daily struggle bravely borne by Britain's forces in southern Iraq, one tale of heroism stands out.

Private Johnson Beharry's courage in rescuing an ambushed foot patrol then, in a second act, saving his vehicle's crew despite his own terrible injuries earned him a Victoria Cross.

For the BBC, however, his story is "too positive" about the conflict.

The corporation has cancelled the commission for a 90-minute drama about Britain's youngest surviving Victoria Cross hero because it feared it would alienate members of the audience opposed to the war in Iraq.

The BBC's retreat from the project, which had the working title Victoria Cross, has sparked accusations of cowardice and will reignite the debate about the broadcaster's alleged lack of patriotism.

"The BBC has behaved in a cowardly fashion by pulling the plug on the project altogether," said a source close to the project. "It began to have second thoughts last year as the war in Iraq deteriorated. It felt it couldn't show anything with a degree of positivity about the conflict.

"It needed to tell stories about Iraq which reflected the fact that some members of the audience didn't approve of what was going on. Obviously a story about Johnson Beharry could never do that. You couldn't have a scene where he suddenly turned around and denounced the war because he just wouldn't do that.

"The film is now on hold and it will only make it to the screen if another broadcaster picks it up."

The independent production company which was developing the project for a prime-time slot on BBC1 is now believed to have taken the script to ITV.

Pte Beharry, 27, who was awarded the VC in March 2005, was the first person to receive the country's highest award for valour since 1982 and the first living recipient since 1965. He was honoured for two acts of outstanding gallantry which occurred just over a month apart while he was serving with the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, in the Iraqi town of al-Amarah, in 2004.

He was cited for "valour of the highest order" after he drove a Warrior tracked armoured vehicle through heavy enemy fire in May 2004 to come to the rescue of a foot patrol that had been caught in a series of ambushes. The 30-ton Warrior was hit by multiple rocket-propelled grenades, causing damage and resulting in the loss of radio communications. Pte Beharry drove through the ambush, taking his own injured crew and leading five other Warriors to safety. He then extracted his wounded colleagues from the vehicle, all the time exposed to further enemy fire.

The following month, Pte Beharry was again driving the lead Warrior vehicle of his platoon through al-Amarah when his vehicle was ambushed. A rocket-propelled grenade hit the vehicle and Pte Beharry received serious head injuries. Other rockets hit the vehicle incapacitating his commander and injuring several of the crew.Despite his very serious injuries, Pte Beharry then took control of his vehicle and drove it out of the ambush area before losing consciousness. He required brain surgery for his head injuries and he was still recovering when he received the VC from the Queen in June last year.

The script of the film about his heroics was being developed by Darlow Smithson, the production company responsible for the Bafta-winning Touching The Void and the docu-drama Tsunami, which was recently aired by the BBC. The Ministry of Defence is believed to have been supportive of the project and was offering the film-makers technical advice.

The BBC's decision to pull out will only confirm the fears of critics that television drama is only interested in telling bad news stories about the war.

The Ministry of Defence recently expressed concern about Channel 4's The Mark of Cain which showed British troops brutalising Iraqi detainees. That programme was temporarily pulled from the schedules after Iran detained 15 British troops.

A spokesman for the BBC admitted that it had abandoned the VC project but refused to elaborate.
War heroes, too positive to air. BBC and the majority of the media are committed to bringing only the worst, ugliest news they can find in their war against the US. And people think Fox is biased lmao. But it's not like the BBC is the only guilty party. The media had condemned the war before it started and people like Sulzberger have committed their media to propoganda and anything but the truth. Too bad perception is reality and the people are lapping it up. I thought the days of spitting on troops was over, but it's not is it. Just like the clowns that are trying to stop that statue in CO. It's horrible.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
sleek & shinyô

pyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to pyXL

I wonder how a bunch of soldiers almost getting killed is "too positive"...

You could argue that as the BBC is funded entirely by tax they should represent the view of the country, which is largely anti-Iraq to some degree. It doesn't really matter to me as I wouldn't have watched it anyway.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyXL
I wonder how a bunch of soldiers almost getting killed is "too positive"...

You could argue that as the BBC is funded entirely by tax they should represent the view of the country, which is largely anti-Iraq to some degree. It doesn't really matter to me as I wouldn't have watched it anyway.
Lmfao. So, the people are largely anti-Iraq and the media only runs anti-Iraq material. Gee, you think thereís a connection

Shouldnít it be the job of the media to run unbiased, true, accurate coverage of anything???

No, according to Pyxl, the mediaís job is to influence public opinion and then reflect that opinion back at them, reality be damned. And a government sponsored media at that. I thought you people were all about truth and such? Guess not.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
sleek & shinyô

pyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Lmfao. So, the people are largely anti-Iraq and the media only runs anti-Iraq material. Gee, you think thereís a connection

Shouldnít it be the job of the media to run unbiased, true, accurate coverage of anything???

No, according to Pyxl, the mediaís job is to influence public opinion and then reflect that opinion back at them, reality be damned. And a government sponsored media at that. I thought you people were all about truth and such? Guess not.
You admitted in some other thread you'd rather watch shows that shared your biases, as everything is inherently biased. Everything you say is a contradiction of what you've said before.

It's not like they didn't cover this story. It was in the news for days. I see it as a good thing they aren't making this as why celebrate someone for doing the job they're paid to do?

And the BBC is funded through a TV license, but it isn't "government sponsored". All the same regulations are imposed on all the other commercial channels, many of which are much more biased than the BBC.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
You admitted in some other thread you'd rather watch shows that shared your biases, as everything is inherently biased. Everything you say is a contradiction of what you've said before.
There's a pretty fucking big difference when I decide to watch something different than when someone is deliberatly burying coverage of something. In case you can't tell the difference, imagine if the BBC decided to only show footage of gay people dieing of aids and molesting kids because the vast majority of people are straight. Do you think that's going to change public opinion or not They can choose to watch what they want, but when they're using tax dollars to fund something it has an obligation to be unbiased and to support all views, regardless. And if their mission is to only show negative coverage, then yes, it's a huge problem. I don't see that as a contridiction. In case you don't understand, the problem is with a tax funded media outfit deciding what it's going to show to the public. Do you not see this as a problem? Do you prefer to have your media be publicly funded and controlled for the purposes of generating the desired propogandist responses. I guess you enjoy having your government dictate what you'll watch. After all, we already see the british govt. deciding that teaching about the Holocaust isn't worth the trouble.

Quote:
It's not like they didn't cover this story. It was in the news for days. I see it as a good thing they aren't making this as why celebrate someone for doing the job they're paid to do?
I guess, because you have no pride, you can't understand why it's important to recognize bravery and courage that is far above and beyond what someone is "paid to do." The man is a hero, and they should knight him. But you know, he's just doing his job

Quote:
And the BBC is funded through a TV license, but it isn't "government sponsored". All the same regulations are imposed on all the other commercial channels, many of which are much more biased than the BBC.
Are all the other channels funded by tax dollars? If not, then I don't really care. If they are, then maybe it's time to realize that they're nothing more than a state funded propagnda agency. For you to sit there and claim indifference about what the government wants you to see is pretty sad. BBC is becomming Al Jazeera, and you don't see that as a problem

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 11 Apr 2007, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

Fox News: Fair & Balanced

ta
Old 11 Apr 2007, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Explosion
Fox News: Fair & Balanced

ta
Owned by Rupert Murdoch, not funded by taxes, not a state owned corporation. Your comparison is pointless and invalid. yw

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 11 Apr 2007, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

Yeah I know, just wanted to say it. I just watched Outfoxed.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 04:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
sleek & shinyô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
There's a pretty fucking big difference when I decide to watch something different than when someone is deliberatly burying coverage of something. In case you can't tell the difference, imagine if the BBC decided to only show footage of gay people dieing of aids and molesting kids because the vast majority of people are straight. Do you think that's going to change public opinion or not They can choose to watch what they want, but when they're using tax dollars to fund something it has an obligation to be unbiased and to support all views, regardless. And if their mission is to only show negative coverage, then yes, it's a huge problem. I don't see that as a contridiction. In case you don't understand, the problem is with a tax funded media outfit deciding what it's going to show to the public. Do you not see this as a problem? Do you prefer to have your media be publicly funded and controlled for the purposes of generating the desired propogandist responses. I guess you enjoy having your government dictate what you'll watch. After all, we already see the british govt. deciding that teaching about the Holocaust isn't worth the trouble.
The BBC may be "state-owned" but it's completely independent. You've already acknowledged that everything is biased, yet you want the BBC to be above this for some reason...

And the decision by SOME schools not to teach the Holocaust was made by the individual schools and NOT the government.

Aside from The Apprentice and Top Gear on BBC, I rarely watch it anyway (although the news channel is pretty good). Channel 4's more my channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
I guess, because you have no pride, you can't understand why it's important to recognize bravery and courage that is far above and beyond what someone is "paid to do." The man is a hero, and they should knight him. But you know, he's just doing his job
He did his job. Well done. Doing that kinda stuff is in the job description of a soldier. He got a Victoria Cross to be proud of. Knighthoods really mean nothing - they're only given to big media people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Are all the other channels funded by tax dollars? If not, then I don't really care. If they are, then maybe it's time to realize that they're nothing more than a state funded propagnda agency. For you to sit there and claim indifference about what the government wants you to see is pretty sad. BBC is becomming Al Jazeera, and you don't see that as a problem
Well, Channel 4 is partially funded by the government (well, not technically funded, but they were set up by the government and don't have to pay some of the fees other commercial channels have to pay) and they're pretty left-wing and in opposition to the government (despite the government being supposedly left-wing).

And why would a government want a propaganda agency that opposes them?
Old 12 Apr 2007, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
The BBC may be "state-owned" but it's completely independent. You've already acknowledged that everything is biased, yet you want the BBC to be above this for some reason...
State owned, but completely independent? LMAO. For the same reasons that people expect the police to be unbiased, and the same reason they pass laws against discrimination. But I guess that doesnít figure into media coverage. Itís really sad that you canít tell the difference. Itís even sadder that youíre ok with it.

Quote:
And the decision by SOME schools not to teach the Holocaust was made by the individual schools and NOT the government.
So if only some schools rewrite history it's no big deal then. Arenít the schools public? Arenít they a government institution? I didnít say a word about what they teach in some psychotic madras or in some private Christian school. If the school is funded with tax dollars then it absolutely has a responsibility to teach accurate history. I guess you donít care though if the murder of 9 million people is ignored or denied. I wonder if youíd care if they denied aids or said it was punishment for gay sins? Is it ok if they deny the death of over 25 million? I guess, it doesnít matter to you though.

Quote:
Aside from The Apprentice and Top Gear on BBC, I rarely watch it anyway (although the news channel is pretty good). Channel 4's more my channel.
Donít you have Irish channels. Or do you enjoy having your ďpretty good newsĒ pumped in from the English government. No, itís cool though. Go ahead and tell me thatís itís ok for the biggest broadcasting corporation in the world, which is owned by the government no less, to be biased in itís coverage. Tell me that youíre down with Al Jazera too. You know, being biased is all cool especially if Itís done by the government. Freedom of press. LMAO. Tell me you like your information provided by the government as it sees fit to deliver it to you. O wait, you just did.

Quote:
He did his job. Well done. Doing that kinda stuff is in the job description of a soldier. He got a Victoria Cross to be proud of. Knighthoods really mean nothing - they're only given to big media people.
Thatís a big difference between you and me. I can recognize when someone is a hero and goes above and beyond what theyíre expected to do, and you donít. I understand what it means to honor someone for doing something heroic. You however, say itís just doing a job. I hope you are never trapped in a burning building or in need of rescue. But if you are, please have at least a modicum or respect for whoever it is that saves your life.

Quote:
Well, Channel 4 is partially funded by the government (well, not technically funded, but they were set up by the government and don't have to pay some of the fees other commercial channels have to pay) and they're pretty left-wing and in opposition to the government (despite the government being supposedly left-wing).
Why the fuck is the government allowed at all to create any sort of media? At least in the US we have freedom of press and independent news coverage to seek out. You, and youíre people, lap up whatever it is the Brits tell you to.

Quote:
And why would a government want a propaganda agency that opposes them?
Because the people in the government who create these institutions want the government to change. Itís the new socialist order. They want the same government owned media that created the propaganda movements in Italy and Russia in the past. They want to tell you what to do and what to think. And you say itís ok.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 12 Apr 2007, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
sleek & shinyô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
So if only some schools rewrite history it's no big deal then. Aren’t the schools public? Aren’t they a government institution? I didn’t say a word about what they teach in some psychotic madras or in some private Christian school. If the school is funded with tax dollars then it absolutely has a responsibility to teach accurate history. I guess you don’t care though if the murder of 9 million people is ignored or denied. I wonder if you’d care if they denied aids or said it was punishment for gay sins? Is it ok if they deny the death of over 25 million? I guess, it doesn’t matter to you though.
That school would have to have been private. No way would a state school get away with dropping part of the syllabus, no matter what it was about.

Quote:
Don’t you have Irish channels. Or do you enjoy having your “pretty good news” pumped in from the English government. No, it’s cool though. Go ahead and tell me that’s it’s ok for the biggest broadcasting corporation in the world, which is owned by the government no less, to be biased in it’s coverage. Tell me that you’re down with Al Jazera too. You know, being biased is all cool especially if It’s done by the government. Freedom of press. LMAO. Tell me you like your information provided by the government as it sees fit to deliver it to you. O wait, you just did.
I do have Irish channels, but I'm still officially a UK citizen. And it's not the "English" government. Maybe it's not OK for it to be biased, but as you have already said EVERYTHING IS INHERENTLY BIASED so why in God's name do you expect the BBC to be any different!?

Quote:
That’s a big difference between you and me. I can recognize when someone is a hero and goes above and beyond what they’re expected to do, and you don’t. I understand what it means to honor someone for doing something heroic. You however, say it’s just doing a job. I hope you are never trapped in a burning building or in need of rescue. But if you are, please have at least a modicum or respect for whoever it is that saves your life.
I couldn't care less about responding to this...

Quote:
Why the fuck is the government allowed at all to create any sort of media? At least in the US we have freedom of press and independent news coverage to seek out. You, and you’re people, lap up whatever it is the Brits tell you to.
The BBC and Channel 4 are independent of the government! How many times do I have to repeat that!? The BBC have got in lots of trouble before for not "siding" with or doing what the government wanted, so it's hardly the sinister propaganda machine you so seem to want to believe in...

And we have hundreds of other commercial channels (who are more biased than the BBC), including the wonderful Murdoch-owned Sky.

Quote:
Because the people in the government who create these institutions want the government to change. It’s the new socialist order. They want the same government owned media that created the propaganda movements in Italy and Russia in the past. They want to tell you what to do and what to think. And you say it’s ok.
The BBC was set up over eighty years ago! Channel 4 was set up by a right-wing government! NOTHING you are saying makes ANY coherent sense at all!
Old 12 Apr 2007, 03:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
That school would have to have been private. No way would a state school get away with dropping part of the syllabus, no matter what it was about.
No way huh, just like a state run channel couldn't get away with pretending something didnít happen or burying it

Quote:
I do have Irish channels, but I'm still officially a UK citizen. And it's not the "English" government. Maybe it's not OK for it to be biased, but as you have already said EVERYTHING IS INHERENTLY BIASED so why in God's name do you expect the BBC to be any different!?
I expect a government owned channel to present the truth, not what it wants people to see as the truth. If the BBC is biased, then itís a government owned tool of propaganda, and that makes it a problem. If the BBC wants to promote itís agenda, then it should sever all ties with the government and be a real independent channel. Guess what? If that happened, I wouldnít care.

Quote:
I couldn't care less about responding to this...
Then donít. And donít bother to appreciate anyone who does something to save somebody elseís life. Itís just their job right. But when I see someone doing something heroic, Iím going to talk about it. And if youíre going to take that self righteous indignant attitude with me, Iím going to take you to task for it.

Quote:
The BBC and Channel 4 are independent of the government! How many times do I have to repeat that!? The BBC have got in lots of trouble before for not "siding" with or doing what the government wanted, so it's hardly the sinister propaganda machine you so seem to want to believe in...
Independent, but owned at the same time is all. Yes, that just screams independent. And of course theyíre going to get criticized for it, just like I criticize NPR for the exact same problem. If the BBC wants to change public opinion, it can. Which makes it dangerous and a tool of the government. Do you not understand the danger? Do you not realize that the BBC is capable of affecting the direction of a country? And itís owned by the government. And you donít care.

Quote:
The BBC was set up over eighty years ago! Channel 4 was set up by a right-wing government! NOTHING you are saying makes ANY coherent sense at all!
Uh, you just told me Channel 4 was way more biased and liberal than even the BBC. Whatís it gonna be next? You seem to think that the BBC is incapable of changing for some reason. Where did I say it mattered who or what started them? None of that changes the fact of what theyíre doing now.

But for some reason, you think government owned media wonít lie to you, and even if they do, youíre ok with it. Letís just put the BBC right up there with Al Jazera and CCTV.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 12 Apr 2007, 04:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
sleek & shinyô

What difference does it make where the money comes from? At least the BBC doesn't have to pander to advertisers like commercial channels.

And I still don't see the government-propaganda link, when the BBC is more critical of the government than other channels.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 04:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
What difference does it make where the money comes from? At least the BBC doesn't have to pander to advertisers like commercial channels.
What difference does it make?

Quote:
And I still don't see the government-propaganda link, when the BBC is more critical of the government than other channels.
No, you wouldnít, even when itís put right in front of you.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 13 Apr 2007, 02:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Call me out if I'm wrong on this one, but the UK are in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the British Government are supporters of the Iraq war, and in general, US foreign policy, right?

Then how does this make the BBC - a state owned media outlet - a government propaganda machine? If the Government have been for the war, and the BBC 'against it', as the pulling of this film project may or may not show... isn't this a complete contradiction of what Exo's arguing about the BBC?