ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

Book On Bannned Books To Get Banned?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2006, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Dade Send a message via MSN to Dade
Default Book On Bannned Books To Get Banned?

(10/3/06 - KTRK/CONROE, TX) - A book about banning books is under fire. A Montgomery County family wants the classic novel "Fahrenheit 451" pulled from the high school reading list. But some students are working to show support for the book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also on ABC13.com:

Send news tips | RSS | ABC13 E-lert | Info mentioned on air | Search abc13.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harry Potter books have been the basis of complaints in recent years. But now a book that's been on literary lists for years is suddenly being thrust into a debate over what's appropriate reading material for students at one Conroe school.

"Fahrenheit 451" was first published 53 years ago. It's said to be named for the temperature at which paper burns. In this world no free thought was allowed and books were destroyed by fire.

Two weeks ago at Caney Creek High School, a tenth grade English class was given "Fahrenheit 451" as a reading assignment. But Diana Verm stopped after a few pages. She said she was offended by "the cussing in it and the burning of the Bible."

Diana complained to her father. She was given an alternate reading assignment, but her dad is pushing the issue. It is ironic in the truest sense that a fictional book on book banning is now the target of a request to remove it from school curriculum.

"With God's name in vain being in there, that's the number one reason," said Diana's father Alton Verm. "There's no reason for it being read."

The school has appointed a committee to review Verm's objections. But students are now circulating a petition in support of the book. They plan to wear t-shirts on Friday voicing their opinions.

"This was probably one of the greatest eye openers that we've had in our school curriculum," said student rally organizer Darrell Lee. "A lot of the people who did sign said that of all the books they had to read, this was the one they enjoyed. It really makes you think about the situation."

Coincidentally, this book was assigned during National Banned Book Week.

In the complaint filed against the school by Alton Verm, he listed each objected item line by line, complete with individual page numbers. Besides bad language and violence, Verm lists "downgrading Christians" and "talking about our firemen" as reasons the book should be banned. The school committee is expected to meet about the book.

==============

I love my state
Old 03 Oct 2006, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dade Draven
Diana complained to her father. She was given an alternate reading assignment, but her dad is pushing the issue. It is ironic in the truest sense that a fictional book on book banning is now the target of a request to remove it from school curriculum.
She was given an alternative, thus one exists. There is no real issue here.

Quote:
"With God's name in vain being in there, that's the number one reason," said Diana's father Alton Verm. "There's no reason for it being read."
I know it's obvious, but this guy is showing us exactly what the reason is.

Quote:
Coincidentally, this book was assigned during National Banned Book Week.
Okay you're shitting us, right?

Everything written is open to interpretation; in this case, satire appears to be the purpose. Somebody can be offended by virtually anything, all they need is the proper improper interpretation.

Last edited by Nick Saban; 03 Oct 2006 at 10:27 PM.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2006, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
(:

sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via MSN to sparx

That book is actually on the top 100 banned list.

along with "where's waldo"

sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2006, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparx
That book is actually on the top 100 banned list.

along with "where's waldo"

Why was Where's Waldo banned
Old 03 Oct 2006, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

^I think some people couldn't grasp the subtle plot. Or they just suck at finding Waldo.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2006, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Wineaux
^I think some people couldn't grasp the subtle plot. Or they just suck at finding Waldo.
Here's why:

Ban the Books

October 02, 2002

By Roger Rosenblatt

The week of September 21-28 is declared Banned Book Week by the American Library Association and other organizations interested in publicizing attempts to ban books in schools and libraries.

Except for a concern about the future of democracy, I don't understand what the fuss is about. Ban all the books, I say.

They clutter the mind with thoughts. They clutter rooms, indeed whole buildings, with dust-collecting objects. As the banners of books know too well, they also promote evil acts. The Harry Potter books are kept away from children in many places because they promote sorcery. For a long time, the three most frequently banned literary works in this country were Macbeth, King Lear, and The Great Gatsby.

The explanations offered always centered on what these works promoted. Macbeth promoted witchcraft, they said. King Lear, I suppose, promoted ingratitude. The Great Gatsby… Long Island?

In Springfield, Oregon, a book was banned called Hitler's Hang-Ups, about Hitler's unusual sexual practices. You know, given Hitler's other tendencies, you'd think that the sexual stuff would be relatively acceptable.

Ban 'em all. Don't pollute those readers' minds, especially the children's minds. The children's book, Where's Waldo? was banned by a school board someplace for containing "explicit subject matter." A plea for surrealism, I suppose. Another book called Wait Till Helen Comes was taken off the shelves for offering, "a morbid portrayal of death." I hate it when that happens.

I can't prove this of course, but I would bet that every civilization that destroyed itself began its self-destruction when someone in power wanted to control what the people were reading. Control is a fairly easy thing once you've established overseeing laws or committees. You get an idea of what books are proper -- that is, safe -- for the public to read. You define safe as that which is least threatening to your power. Finally, you justify your restrictions by telling the people that you know what is best for them, that control of the possible use of their minds is really in their best interests.

Ban the books, and if you can't ban them, make sure at least that you know what everyone is reading. In October 2001, Congress passed the USA Patriot Act, a perfectly correct and sensible law in terms of its general desire to protect the country. But then there was section 215 about books, which said that the government investigators can compel booksellers and librarians to turn over information as to what their customers were reading. The law also forbade booksellers and librarians to make public the fact that they had even received such orders.

How this provision got past Congress can only be explained by the heat of a moment. But as soon as you start controlling what people read, you knock off the country you were trying to protect. You can read that in the Constitution.

Ban the books? If you really want to keep the country safe, put up more bookstores, put up more libraries. Come to think of it, put up a library on the World Trade Center site, a local public library branch of the kind where millions of Americans learned how to think and dream for themselves. And in this local library, put as many different books as possible. Put every book under the sun. The sun is known for casting light.

I'm Roger Rosenblatt.

This essay was originally broadcast on The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer on September 23, 2002. It is reprinted here with permission.
================================================== ==

Ever wonder how dirty the censor's minds are?
Old 04 Oct 2006, 12:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
(:

sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.sparx is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via MSN to sparx

In what you quoted, Dade, with the part about Wheres Waldo there is a beach picture with ( I think ) a sunbathing woman, who is lying face down, and you can see her back. Or something along those lines. And it was labeled "nudity" in a children's book.

I think that the most preverse thing you could ever do is tell someone not to read something. I grew up reading anything I could get my hands on. Some things I was ready for, some I wasn't. So I learned common sense, in being able to pick and choose what I read.

To this day, I still love to read, and I plan to eventually read all the books on the top 100 list. I've already read a good many of them. Most of my favorite books are on it.
sparx is offline   Reply With Quote