ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

Because I enjoyed our last debate so much...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2006, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC
Send a message via AIM to CK
Default Because I enjoyed our last debate so much...

This goes out to all the Religious folks on here

kinda a child raising question...

When presenting religion to your children...
How will you do so?

Will you teach them that your faith is the right faith? or encourage them to explore others to find one that they most believe?

When they go to school and learn about "lucy"...what will you tell them?

If you believe that the Bible is how it happened, how will you allow that to affect your children and their education?

These are things I've wondered about...my parents claimed to be religious. However, God wasn't really mentioned much except for Sundays and Holidays (and Saturdays when we all complained about not wanting to go to church)...
My parents sent me to Catholic schools...which is actually where I developed my interest in other faiths and mythology....

I actually felt very bitter toward religion growing up, I resented the idea that it was forced upon me. I still do not approve of the way I was raised "religious".

My family's faith was forced upon me. I know it well, and agree with much of it...however I do not like the idea that it was decided for me.

Religion is faith based. Its what you believe. No one should be able to tell you what you SHOULD believe.

When it comes time for me to raise children, I would like to think I'll let my child decide for his/her self....

I don't really know tho....

So, to the Religious Folk on this site (specifically the parents and the parents to be)....how would you do it?

(please try to respond to the questions I posted above)

CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2006, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
RTT
You know me!

RTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of Famer
Send a message via AIM to RTT

When I become a father, i'll let my kids decide their religion.

But if it's some "in" religion like the usual satanism and that kind of shit and they are doing it because they think they are some unique snowflake, it isn't going to happen.

You down with RTT?
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2006, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!™

Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.
Send a message via MSN to Trevelbond

I'm going to raise them Atheist. They are going to have to learn to be good people without the threat of eternal damnation hanging over their heads.

Holidays like Christmas are more American than anything... we will celebrate accordingly.
Trevelbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2006, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Come to think of it, other than getting the kids baptized Catholic...the wife's Italian, you know...and getting them dedicated in my church...I haven't really done much...ummm...how should I say..."religioning" or indoctrination of my kids.

I really can't be bothered.

If they want to know about God, we have a King James Bible for them to read.

But my kids are going to Catholic school so I guess they'll find out that way...at least I'll be able to filter out the okay stuff from the nonsense that Catholics spew when they get home...

If it mattered that much to me, I'd raise my kid in my church...it's about the coolest church I've ever known. It just doesn't though...

Meh...WTF...I'm going to Hell anyway.

But if a parent wants to raise their kid a certain religion, then it's their right. I have a sinking feeling that this most probably was posted to provide a jumpoff to criticize anyone who would do so, and that's just not anyone's place. Especially anyone who doesn't even know what it's like to change their own kid's diaper, let alone try to raise one.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.

Last edited by The Glue; 02 Jun 2006 at 08:21 AM.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2006, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
sleek & shiny™

pyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to pyXL

Don't force your religion on your kids.

Look how I turned out.
Old 02 Jun 2006, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyXL
Don't force your religion on your kids.

Look how I turned out.
I didn't turn out gay...

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2006, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
sleek & shiny™

pyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue
I didn't turn out gay...

Late.
The priest mustn't have got you then.
Old 02 Jun 2006, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

I'll present what I and their mother believe is the best thing for them to believe, but if they want to go out and explore other religions, and find that something else suits them, I'll have no problem with it. As long as they arn't some radical islamist or part of a cult, I'll be fine with it.
Old 02 Jun 2006, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
sleek & shiny™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEARit Squad
I'll present what I and their mother believe is the best thing for them to believe, but if they want to go out and explore other religions, and find that something else suits them, I'll have no problem with it. As long as they arn't some radical islamist or part of a cult, I'll be fine with it.
You don't need to be Islamic to be "radical" with your religion.
Old 02 Jun 2006, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyXL
You don't need to be Islamic to be "radical" with your religion.
Fine...

Unless they are radical _____, or part of a cult.

Happy now?
Old 02 Jun 2006, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
sleek & shiny™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEARit Squad
Fine...

Unless they are radical _____, or part of a cult.

Happy now?
I was happy before. I was just stating your inaccuracy.
Old 02 Jun 2006, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue

But if a parent wants to raise their kid a certain religion, then it's their right. I have a sinking feeling that this most probably was posted to provide a jumpoff to criticize anyone who would do so, and that's just not anyone's place. Especially anyone who doesn't even know what it's like to change their own kid's diaper, let alone try to raise one.
Not quite, Slappy.

I was just looking for opinions. Its actually something I've wondered about. To me my faith is something very personal thing to me. I'm wondering if I have the right to make that kind of personal decision for another person. I'm Catholic, the girl I'm with isn't. If I stay with her, eventually religion and raisin a child are gonna become issues that need discussion. I was looking for the opinions of some people around here. Was hopin for some intelligent feedback, but apparently your beef with Exo is keepin you from bein able to do that...so kindly don't presume to know what my intentions are. If you want to contribute...please do so. Don't make assumptions about my intentions.

Old 02 Jun 2006, 04:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

i guess this is about the best time i could have possibly been presented this question as i am about to become a first time father, here is how i plan to go.....

I will fully present my religion (Christianity by being born again through repentance) from the time my child is born until he moves out. He will be with me in Church no less than 3 times a week, and will be brought up in my faith.

My plan is simple, live my testimony to them, and show them that Jesus is the only true savior, he is the divine Son of God, That he has a heavenly father that loves him, and that no man can come to the father , except through the Son. and i hope i can show them that he has changed me into something i could not ever be on my own.

I hope to be able to send them to private school, becuase i believe they have the right to a Christian education, but if i can not afford it, and they face public school issues, like Lucy and so on, they will be advised about evolution, and how it isnt true. However , i will tell them that they are allowed to express their faith in creation but they are not to argue it to the point that they are to get into trouble. Any intelligent arguement will be allowed, but they will also be instructed that the way of the world is to banish creation, and they have to keep that in the back of their minds.

Once my child is old enough to make his decisions for himself, i will hope i have done what God would have me to do, and that he will make his decision for Christ.
Double K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2006, 04:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K
i guess this is about the best time i could have possibly been presented this question as i am about to become a first time father, here is how i plan to go.....

I will fully present my religion (Christianity by being born again through repentance) from the time my child is born until he moves out. He will be with me in Church no less than 3 times a week, and will be brought up in my faith.

My plan is simple, live my testimony to them, and show them that Jesus is the only true savior, he is the divine Son of God, That he has a heavenly father that loves him, and that no man can come to the father , except through the Son. and i hope i can show them that he has changed me into something i could not ever be on my own.

I hope to be able to send them to private school, becuase i believe they have the right to a Christian education, but if i can not afford it, and they face public school issues, like Lucy and so on, they will be advised about evolution, and how it isnt true. However , i will tell them that they are allowed to express their faith in creation but they are not to argue it to the point that they are to get into trouble. Any intelligent arguement will be allowed, but they will also be instructed that the way of the world is to banish creation, and they have to keep that in the back of their minds.

Once my child is old enough to make his decisions for himself, i will hope i have done what God would have me to do, and that he will make his decision for Christ.
I'm not exactly sure how you're religion works....I know Catholic baptism is performed on babies and infants...when does yours do this?

Also, KK...I learned about Lucy in private school. It was part of world history I believe. Its been a while, can't remember for sure.

Old 02 Jun 2006, 04:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

actually i am of the baptist denomination, so baptism doesnt happen until after you've been born again and accepted Christ as your savior.

As for the lucy thing, im sure it will be taught in private school (Christian faith based school i mean), but it will be taught as , well , hogwash.
Double K is offline   Reply With Quote