ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

Race and Racism

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2005, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Location: Walking upon high, as I step to the edge to see my world below..
The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Default Race and Racism

The Thread Glue and KK had gave me this to ponder....

There has been much controversy on this board regarding racism. With all of the racist and anti-racist stuff that went on here a while back, it would be interesting to see what your views on race are. Not the simple "fuck racism" shit, but an actual probing of the issue.

I have always regarded racism as a mark of a simple mind. Especially over the net, people feel as if they can say the most vile things because they know nobody will smack the shit out of them for it. Whether in real life or computer life, racism equals ignorance.

But there is another side to the issue that is hardly ever expounded upon. It is my belief that the concepts of race are human constructs, as are most of our cherised beliefs. "Black" and "white" are labels with little meaning, labels usually constructed by a ruling class or culture in order to categorize people and then oppress them. This has become a fact of life so pervasive that most people consider themselves part of a racial group, usually because society guides you in that direction (i.e. you are forced to pick black, white, Asian, etc. on job applications and the like). When one does that however, I believe one is complicit in one's own oppression.

What race do you consider yourselves and why? I would be called "black" if I were to label myself, but I'm a human being before anything.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 21 Jun 2005 at 11:07 PM.
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2005, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

I believe that racism is an issue that is created during childhood. Usually when brought up by non-racist parents, chances are your not going to become a racist either. If you grow up in a racist family, chances are you are also going to be racist.

As for the topic, I consider myself my own race. The way I "sort" people I guess you could say, is by what country they came from. Not what color their skin is. As for me, I'm an Ireittishfrenmanameridian. If anybody else's ancestors came from all of those countries, then I group them with me.

BTW, points to anybody who can figure out all the countries, and one culture, I included in that.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
16 Time World Champion

Ric Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of Famer

As far as racism goes, the constrains placed on a group of people based on the color of their skin is not only pointless, it is close-minded as well. It does no good to group people together based only on the color of their skin. There are enough stereotypes one must go through in life based on their likes, dislikes, education, employment, and geographic location without adding race as another one. For instance, not all black people are good at (or even like) basketball. Just like all Chinese people arent good at math, and all white people arent necessarily WASPS. So in that sense I think its pointless to even bring race up as an issue. Not as in “oh, if we don’t talk about it, it will go away” but as in, “I don’t care what color your skin is, Im looking at YOU as a PERSON” However, we should also embrace the cultural differences of the nationalities represented in America, Canada, wherever it is…Im white, but I think the Japanese Culture is one of the coolest things ever. I am 1/16 Cherokee and I have 1/16 Samoan in me as well. I love everything about of my “cool” cultures. I also have some Scottish and Italian, but everybody has that, so I focus on my 1/8 cool side…

So what Im getting at is this…Race is something that SHOULD be discussed, and dealt with. Embrace the cultures we all have. And the rule of thumb in America is this, the terrorists don’t care if you’re black, white, Asian, or Samoan, they want to kill us all. Were in this together, tis time we stared acting like it…

Hope that answered it for you Wanderer…

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue
I dunno...it's the"I'm better than you and I'm not even gonna shout it, yell it or overstate it, I'm fuckin Naitch goddamn it and all I really got to say is ......wooooooooooo!!!!!" pic of Ric
Ric Flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2005, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Double K , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

i think there is a big difference between race and racism, the simplicity of black and white exists, i am white, while Wanderer is black. Now that is simply race, and there is nothing wrong with being white, nor black. Your race is something that you all should be proud of, becuase no one is better than another, but each has their own individual traits that make us unique, it is the perverbial "spice of life". and i for one wish that instead of people wanting to see us all as people and not black people or white people or whatever, that they see us for being people who are proud of what they are, becuase there is no shame in being chinese or spanish or whatever you are.

i personally think in this day and age that racism is something that is brought out so much more by the media than what really exists, and i also think that if racism was not dwelt upon so often that a lot of the ill feelings between the races would die down, for example, but i feel that society creates more racism by grouping idiots with non idiots of the same color.

Here is what i mean by that to clarify what i am saying, people see the Klan carrying a confederate flag, so now the majority of people believe that the confederate flag which was not a symbol for slavery is just that. So funny how the Klan also carries the american flag, but the govt, nor the people are protesting that the american flag be used no longer. Living in the south and being proud of that has really sparked my interest in the civil war and how the people of the south are portrayed and it is interesting to watch how people are seen becuase people see what they want to see, not necessarily what is the truth. And i am not trying to start a debate over slavery here, as i clearly do not believe that the people of the South who did not want to free slaves were right, but rather that not every person who ever lived in the south, and people who live in the south now are racists. It is so funny to me people group together others like that, which is basically a form of racism while "fighting" racism.

So basically in closing, Wanderer, and whoever else, dont wish to lose race, wish to lose racism, be proud of your race, dont let other peoples opinion of who you are let you stop wanting to be looked upon as black.
Double K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2005, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Well, I'm about 1/4 Cayuga Native, 1/4 Orange Irish, and the rest is a medley of a bunch of other cultures that I forget.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in an incredibly diverse neighborhood when I was a kid. There was a good mix of black and white kids, but at the same time we had several different Hispanic families in the neighborhood, Puerto Rican, Mexican and Portugese, there were of course a few "Straight Outta Palermo" Italian families in the area, as well as other Eastern European families.

I was exposed to so many different types of people, so many different cultures and I was fortunate enough that just about everyone in my age bracket (as well as their parents) were just such cool people...I think that's one of the reasons I have so little tolerance for racist comments is because I see those people who say those things as talking shit about my childhood friends...kids that I share some of my most cherished memories with.

I can't have people talking shit about my friends.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2005, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
In Loving Memory of #51

what777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famer

I'm against racism, like for example, BET Television, United Negro College Fund
what777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldfan777

Don't spam up my forum.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sick in the head

Dick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of Famer
Send a message via MSN to Dick Biggs

The only thing that keep racism alive is ignorant assed rednecks, stupid niggas who use the color of there skin as an excuse for everything that went wrong in there life, drunk indians/"Metis" who think cause "We stole there land" like 2000 years ago we should hand them everything on a platter (big problem in Canada), and immigrants who get into north america with no work ethic and start leeching of welfare as soon as they possibly can....

The worst thing that keeps it alive is sterotypes.....this whole post is based of sterotypes, but people create there own sterotypes, and until people stop living up to the sterotypes of a white society racism will never be gone....
Dick Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC
Send a message via AIM to CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue

Don't spam up my forum.

Late.
I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY hate to agree with him, cuz I have a feeling he didn't mean it in the way I'm going to take it.....

However those things are kinda racist....
You have BET....Black Entertainment Televsion, however if someone dared to start a channel called White Entertainment Television....the world would fall apart. Sure the case could be made that a channel like that is needed because the majority of network and cable TV is geared towards whitey, but the name of the channel itself implies racism and segregation.

You also have things like Miss Black America.....the Miss America pageant isn't segregated...infact a number of black women have won. However, if it was renamed Miss White America, it would be racist. Meanwhile Miss Black America is perfectly fine.

I'm not saying I think these things should be segregated. I think it would be incredibly wrong. However, I also believe that the double standard is wrong.

As far as racism goes, its inherent....We fear what is different. To quote a wise muppet "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."
Its only thru education that we learn to look past what makes us all different and see what makes us the same. This education must begin at an early age. It all starts at home.

If we continue to place the emphasis on things that make us different, race will remain a obstacle that we cannot pass.

CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sick in the head

Dick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of Famer

But the sad thing is, that more 14-17 year old white kids in upper middle class homes watch BET than black people do.....
Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG Juggalo
But the sad thing is, that more 14-17 year old white kids in upper middle class home watch BET than black people do.....
No doubt....it was really a comment on the name of the network

Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldfan777
Unless you have much more to add...like what Glue said don't spam here..
Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sick in the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
No doubt....it was really a comment on the name of the network
I know...and its those sort of things that keep racisim alive, that channel just impliments sterotypical "niggas" all the time

I cant remember who said it but it went like this "I love black people.....but I hate NIGGAS!!!"...might have been Chris Rock, im not sure
Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Quote:
The only thing that keep racism alive is ignorant assed rednecks, stupid niggas who use the color of there skin as an excuse for everything that went wrong in there life, drunk indians/"Metis" who think cause "We stole there land" like 2000 years ago we should hand them everything on a platter (big problem in Canada), and immigrants who get into north america with no work ethic and start leeching of welfare as soon as they possibly can....

The worst thing that keeps it alive is sterotypes.....this whole post is based of sterotypes, but people create there own sterotypes, and until people stop living up to the sterotypes of a white society racism will never be gone....
Er, aren't you living up to those very same "sterotypes" you just mentioned earlier in your statement?
Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

Quote:
I know...and its those sort of things that keep racisim alive, that channel just impliments sterotypical "niggas" all the time

I cant remember who said it but it went like this "I love black people.....but I hate NIGGAS!!!"...might have been Chris Rock, im not sure
I think it was Chris Rock. Then he went into the who schtick where he explained the difference.