ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

Death sentences at lowest point since the 70's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2005, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Heavyweight

David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.
Default Death sentences at lowest point since the 70's...

Death Sentences at Lowest Point Since 1976

1 hour, 40 minutes ago

By JUAN-CARLOS RODRIGUEZ, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The number of people sentenced to death last year fell to the lowest level since the Supreme Court reinstated the penalty in 1976.

There were 125 people sent to death row in 2004, down from 144 the previous year and the sixth consecutive annual decline, according to figures compiled by the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. In 1998, 300 people received death sentences.

Miriam Gohara, assistant counsel at the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, said one major cause for the decline is high profile exonerations based on DNA evidence. She said that jurors are less willing to impose the penalty when they see that the system occasionally fails.

"I think people are more concerned about the irreversibility of the death penalty. Once somebody is executed, you can't bring them back," Gohara said.

Dianne Clements, president of Justice for All, a pro-death penalty victim advocacy group, offered another explanation.

"Not only has the murder rate declined, thank goodness, but the types of killers eligible for the death penalty have been redefined by the Supreme Court," she said.

The high court has issued a series of decisions narrowing the death penalty, putting a stop to the execution of juveniles, the insane and the mentally retarded. There also are more jurisdictions where jurors are given options other than death, said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center.

"Juries are being given a choice of life without parole that they didn't have in the early '90s," he said.

Dieter also said increased public attention has led to better legal representation for defendants who could face the death penalty.

In his State of the Union address this year, President Bush called for more training for lawyers who represent accused killers, tacit recognition that not all suspects receive an adequate defense.

As governor of Texas, a state that executes more inmates than any other, Bush commuted one death sentence and allowed 152 executions. Texas sent the most people to death row last year 23, followed by California, which sent 11 and Florida and Alabama, which each sent 8.

There were 3,374 prisoners awaiting execution at the end of 2003, the latest year for which figures are available from the Bureau of Justice Statistics. That was 188 fewer than the previous year, due largely to then-Illinois Gov. George Ryan granting clemency to all 167 inmates on his state's death row because of concerns about wrongful convictions

Source: Supreme Court - AP
Yahoo!
---------------------------

Do you view the decrease death sentences as a good thing or a bad thing? I believe in the old "an eye for an eye", kill the killers to prevent prison overflooding but at the same time there are times when innocent people are put on death row and that should be stopped. I guess I'm at a mixed stand point right now.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2005, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

It does not matter if they sentence people to death unless they carry out the sentence.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2005, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
<In Between Dreams>

Jack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster everJack Johnson is the absolute WORST poster ever

A good thing. Giving death to somebody who knows that his life doesn't mean anything anymore is just an easy way out...Putting them in prison for a good time is way more punishing to me.

Plus, nobody have the right or the power to kill somebody, no matters if you're the President or God. No one.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

Very true Eaux.

Very True JJ. However, the tax payers [mostly the middle class (who pay all the taxes)] foot the bills for those who are on death row.

I say, the Death Penalty should be Federalized. 1.) Murder in any degree. 2.) Treason and Desertion. 3.) Rape of a minor (unconsented). 4.) Corporate swindlers who fucked their employees out of their jobs and 401k plans, but suffered no montary damage themselves and did it only so they could be richer.

Almost forgot, the White business criminal asshole cocksuckers who launder drug money.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2005, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

It's like Eaux said...you've got to use it. New York is a great example. Since the Death Penalty came back into legality here it has yet to be used. Not because noone's drawn the sentence of death...oh no, this is New York...people do things that could draw The Needle every day.

No, it's just that sentences get turned over on appeal, and not because the person was innocent, but because the appellate judge it goes before is anti death penalty. Honestly, if a crime fits the statute for the penalty, then the penalty should be imposed regardless of what the judge thinks. It's just a ridiculous way of bringing politics into another area where they don't belong, the courtroom.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2005, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

The true problem is that when inmates are sentenced, they take up to 15 years in order for them to be executed. Thats why croocks don't care if they get the death penalty cause they know that sooner or later he will be either re-sentenced to life or get a new trial. They should just execute the motherfuckers in no more than three years.
Toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2005, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

In Texas, didn't they pass that bill that speeds up the Death Row wait for execution if there were three or more credible eyewitnesses?? Not that there's usually 3 eyewitnesses to such action, but it's a start...

I remember comedian Ron White talking about that..."Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty...my state's putting in an express lane."

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue
I remember comedian Ron White talking about that..."Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty...my state's putting in an express lane."

Late.
LOL thats a way to call it.

Even thou they still wait too long. last case of "express lane" death penalty took 8 years for the guy to be axed. I want him dead NOW!
Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

^^Lmao...

I see that Florida only sent 8 people up to Old Sparky last year, as opposed to 23 executions in Texas. Goes to show that unless he's in competition and trying to one-up his brother W, Jebbie doesn't really care about how many executions go down.

Late.

Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
I hate people

^Who cares. They could go and have a competition of who pisses the longest and I still wouldn't care.

All I want is that scum of humanity to be put down like dogs. Murderers, sex offenders, cop killers, terrorists they all deserve to die. If had the honor of killing each and everyone of them I'll be even happier.

Do I sound maniacal?
Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

No, you sound like a decent human being...some of these people I think you can just pitch them into a crowd of onlookers, you know, the ones that show up on execution night with signs like it's RAW or something. My favorite was for Ted Bundy...someone had a sign that said "Bundy BBQ."

So just drop the executee into the middle of that crowd and see what happens. That'd be a budget move, of course...but hey - less money spent on murderers.

Personally I think that all pedophiles should be publicly drawn and quartered...but that's just me.

Late.

Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
I hate people

In fact I think that we could learn from hollywood.

Send the most dangerous crooks to a deserted island, put them a collar with a small explosive charge on their necks and if they try to flee the island, take off the collar or tamper with it they'll be headless instantly.

yeah.... I like that concept. For just pennies a day.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

We have this new DA here who is all opposed to death penalty, and in fact, ran on that as her campaign. She was not going to persue the death penalty ever. About a month after she won, because all the little anti death penalty hippies loved her, a cop got blown away. And everyone cried about it. The DA said she wasn't going to go for the needle on this guy. And now all the hippies were upset. I guess the moral is, you reap what you sow. Unless you kill a cop that is

The reason the death penalty is on the decline is because liberal judges are more interested in making policy than in enforcing the law. Hell, they don't even enforce life in prison anymore. For some reason there's a mentality that prisons are overcrowded, so we should let more violent criminals out of prison. Dunno where that logic came from.
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2005, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
We have this new DA here who is all opposed to death penalty, and in fact, ran on that as her campaign. She was not going to persue the death penalty ever. About a month after she won, because all the little anti death penalty hippies loved her, a cop got blown away. And everyone cried about it. The DA said she wasn't going to go for the needle on this guy. And now all the hippies were upset. I guess the moral is, you reap what you sow. Unless you kill a cop that is

The reason the death penalty is on the decline is because liberal judges are more interested in making policy than in enforcing the law. Hell, they don't even enforce life in prison anymore. For some reason there's a mentality that prisons are overcrowded, so we should let more violent criminals out of prison. Dunno where that logic came from.
Let the prisons be overcrowded; jail should be a punishment and if its crowded it will be more of one.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2005, 07:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

I like George Carlin's Capital Punishment theory the best. Go downlaod it on Kazaa or buy his "Back In Town" album. It is ingenious!

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote