ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

The Tsunami Song..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2005, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Location: Walking upon high, as I step to the edge to see my world below..
The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Default The Tsunami Song..

Yeah I know this news is a bit old, but considering the timing of when this came out, well sometimes you gotta wonder why groups like the FCC don't stop idiots like this, instead of censorizing everyone else over far more minor issues?

Heres a copy of the article:

Quote:
THE TSUNAMI SONG BAN
(story by brubens)

A New York radio station is facing public outrage for airing a song that shockingly mocked the hundreds of thousands victims of the South Asian tsunami.

The station repeatedly aired the vocal rendition with the following lyrics

"Then the next thing I knew, a wave 20 feet high came and washed your whole country away.. And all at once, you can hear the screaming chinks.. And no one was saved from the wave.. There were Africans drowning, little Chinamen swept away.. ...

You can hear God laughing, 'Swim you bitches, swim.'". It continues, "So now you're screwed, it's the Tsunami .. you better run or kiss your ass away, go find your mommy .. I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head .. and now the children will be sold to child slavery".
The offical statment from the station:
Quote:
Statement from WQHT-FM, HOT 97

New York City - Miss Jones and the HOT 97 Morning team have been indefinitely suspended for the airing of a song that made light of a catastrophic event, as well as comments made at the time the song was aired.

Earlier this week, Miss Jones said on the air "I apologize to all who have been offended by my poor decision to go along with playing that insulting (to say the least) Tsunami song. I should have known better and I didn't. So I'm sorry and hopefully we can move forward from this, or I can move forward from this being a better hostess, because I am better than that, and I know better than that -- and you deserve better radio than that."

While Miss Jones has apologized on the air, in the media and on the HOT 97 website, station management felt that stronger action was necessary to demonstrate the severity of the situation.

Emmis Radio and HOT 97 will not tolerate such derogatory and racially insensitive content. This incident in no way reflects the spirit of HOT 97. The station has a long-time and well-known reputation for community involvement and support.

Emmis Radio President Rick Cummings said, "What happened is morally and socially indefensible. All involved, myself included, are ashamed and deeply sorry. I know the members of the morning show are truly contrite. They know their actions here are inexcusable."

We would like to clarify that no company advertising on our station had any connection to the Tsunami Song and no company advertising on our station endorsed or sponsored the offensive material aired on the "Miss Jones in the Morning" show. We apologize for any misunderstanding that may have caused listeners to believe that anyone, other than the morning show staff, was responsible for the material that should not have been aired.
I just find it ironic that this also happend in NYC, one of my favorite places in the US to go. (I might get some heat for saying this but..) If someone outside of the US made a simular tastless song about 911, that person/people most likely would be a marked man....so what gives the right of this dumbass DJ for pulling a stunt like this??

Thoughts?
Old 04 Feb 2005, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned By Super Moderators

wat? is on a distinguished road

who gives a shit about tsunami....god hates he paki's.
wat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2005, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned By Super Moderators

wat? is on a distinguished road

who gives a shit about tsunami....god hates the paki's.
wat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2005, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

^Someone ban this fool...PLEASE?
Old 04 Feb 2005, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tumbleweed

xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.

I liked Jin's response to The Tsunami Song...he comes pretty hard on that track.
xer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2005, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Dade Send a message via MSN to Dade

Hot 97 Under Fire From 'Tsunami Song'

It's funny how ppl have selective tolerence
Old 04 Feb 2005, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.
Send a message via MSN to Trevelbond

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer
^Someone ban this fool...PLEASE?
Done.
Trevelbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2005, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Your Personal Demon

Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dade
Hot 97 Under Fire From 'Tsunami Song'

It's funny how ppl have selective tolerence

I don't quite understand what you're implying.

Anyway, only racists and dipshit could have come up with something that fucking ignorant and think it was funny. Basically, the only reason those fuckers thought it was a joke is because it didn't happen in this country. It happened to someone else. It's fucked up how people react to tragedies like it's some fucking joke until something happens to them. Then it's "I need help. Everyone feel sory for me." And usually it's something mundane that can be fixed with money, like a flood forced them to leave their home, or a tornado tore there roof off. Serious stuff, but you're alive and you have most of your shit intact. Nearly two hundred thousand people died, whole villages, whole towns... everyone wiped out by something no one could have prevented. That's not a joke and fuck everyone who thinks it is. Fuck you.
Old 04 Feb 2005, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hostility
I don't quite understand what you're implying.

Anyway, only racists and dipshit could have come up with something that fucking ignorant and think it was funny. Basically, the only reason those fuckers thought it was a joke is because it didn't happen in this country. It happened to someone else. It's fucked up how people react to tragedies like it's some fucking joke until something happens to them. Then it's "I need help. Everyone feel sory for me." And usually it's something mundane that can be fixed with money, like a flood forced them to leave their home, or a tornado tore there roof off. Serious stuff, but you're alive and you have most of your shit intact. Nearly two hundred thousand people died, whole villages, whole towns... everyone wiped out by something no one could have prevented. That's not a joke and fuck everyone who thinks it is. Fuck you.
I was saying I already posted this, and the tolerence comment was basically what you just said.
Old 04 Feb 2005, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dade
I was saying I already posted this, and the tolerence comment was basically what you just said.
Didn't know this was already in the entertiament section sorry about that....Still, I think a discussion here is good for this topic...
Old 05 Feb 2005, 09:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

The problem is simply this. We have a double stadard on everything. We bitch and whine for the stupidest things but we nail our faces to the TV when we hear things like this. "Coming soon on FOX..... When teenagers have sex" or "Howard Stern shows naked girls on TV" (BTW this is an example).

You get the drift.
Toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2005, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tumbleweed

xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth
The problem is simply this. We have a double stadard on everything. We bitch and whine for the stupidest things but we nail our faces to the TV when we hear things like this. "Coming soon on FOX..... When teenagers have sex" or "Howard Stern shows naked girls on TV" (BTW this is an example).

You get the drift.
The difference here is those are examples of obscenity in the media. The Tsunami Song wasn't so much obscene as it was immoral, tacky, and just wrong.

Tsunami = Hundreds of thousounds of people dead. The ones alive are left with nothing. The song was done with total disregard to the people who have suffered and died in the tragedy as well as their loved ones.

Dumb sluts on TV naked/Having Sex = Ratings because people can't believe that people would sell themselves out like that. Or they just like seeing naked people.
xer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2005, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Entertainment - Reuters Industry

Bad Taste a Serious Matter at Radio

Sun Feb 6, 8:35 AM ET Entertainment - Reuters Industry

By Marc Schiffman

NEW YORK (Billboard) - With all the talk about what the Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites) does regulate, it has been pointed out a time or two in the past that what the FCC (news - web sites) does not weigh in on are questions of bad taste.

But the self-regulating impact of community standards is making itself felt in the case of R&B/hip-hop WQHT (Hot 97) New York. The morning team last month repeatedly aired a parody song and comments mocking the tsunami tragedy that struck Asia and Africa in December.

Morning-show member Todd Lynn and producer Rick Delgado have been fired. Morning host Miss Jones along with DJ Envy and production assistant Tasha Hightower had been off the air since Jan. 26 on a two-week unpaid suspension.

In a statement, the station said the suspension was "for the airing of a song that made light of a catastrophic event, as well as comments made at the time the song was aired."

Additionally, Rick Cummings, radio president for Hot 97 parent Emmis Broadcasting, issued a statement, saying, "What happened is morally and socially indefensible . . . All involved, myself included, are ashamed and deeply sorry. I know the members of the morning show are truly contrite. They know their actions here are inexcusable."

The song, a parody of "We Are the World," used racial slurs and included the line, "You can hear God laughing, swim, you bitches, swim."

The morning team issued an on-air apology Jan. 24, and the station announced that while suspended, the morning show salaries would go toward tsunami relief. In her on-air apology, Miss Jones said: "I apologize to all who have been offended by my poor decision to go along with playing that insulting -- to say the least -- tsunami song. I should have known better, and I didn't."

But that may not be enough.

New York City Council members, along with Asian-American leaders, are calling for federal fines, a stronger apology and for the station to fire its morning crew.

On Jan. 26, the station issued another statement saying that it "felt that stronger action was necessary to demonstrate the severity of the situation."

Newsday has reported that McDonald's and tax services company Jackson Hewitt had pulled advertising from the station as of Jan. 24. A day later, Sprint announced it was withdrawing advertising support.

In an effort presumably intended to prevent further loss of advertisers, Hot 97 issued a statement saying it "would like to clarify that no company advertising on our station had any connection to the tsunami song, and no company advertising on our station endorsed or sponsored the offensive material aired ... We apologize for any misunderstanding that may have caused listeners to believe that anyone other than the morning-show staff was responsible for the material that should not have been aired."

Emmis has pledged $1 million to tsunami relief.

Councilman John Liu of Flushing, N.Y., led a protest Jan. 28. He has called for the FCC to intervene with fines against Hot 97. "It's not just about these individuals," he told Newsday. "This company fostered the atmosphere that aided and abetted these individuals."

In an interview with the Daily News, Liu said, "Their statement is a joke ... They need to fire Miss Jones (and) accept corporate responsibility." He said this should include raising its aid pledge to $10 million.

Reuters/Billboard

=========

One bad beer ruining the whole pack.
Old 06 Feb 2005, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mrs. Sabbah

That's terrible. How can people get pleasure from others' misery? Just sick.
Old 06 Feb 2005, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Hi, Mrs. Sabbah .