ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

A question (possibly considered a rant)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2004, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer
Default A question (possibly considered a rant)

Why do we continue to hear so much about affirmative action?

I cannot possibly begin to imagine the racism that African Americans have gone through in the past. I can only hope that I do not display any racial tendencies. But why, oh why, do we continually hear about minorities not getting the respect that they deserve and there being rules that govern things such as hiring a coach for a professional team?

Take, for example, the Miami Dolphins. They have made a decision that they wish to hire Nick Saban as their next head football coach. Yet, according to league rules, they must interview a minority candidate for the position or they will be fined for not following the rules. He has no chance of getting the job because they have already made their decision. Yet, he must go through the process and they must go through the process because that is the guidelines established by the league in conjunction with the Black Coaches of America foundation. I would think that it is more degrading for someone to go through that than it is for them not to have to do it.

I constantly hear that there are few "black" coaches in sports. And anytime that a person is fired, the first question that arises is "was it because he's a minority that he was fired?" In the case of Notre Dame, I heard that over and over. Ty Willingham was not fired because he is black. He was fired because he wasn't winning ball games. Just as Bob Davey was fired before him. Just as Ron Zook was fired from Florida. Just as Frank Solich was fired from Nebraska. People weren't in an uproar about them because they are caucasians.

I hear Stephen A. Smith talk about the need for more black coaches. I hear the NAACP talk about how it is a travesty that something happens. I hear all of these things, and they constantly bring up the fact that a person is "black" or "African American". I can't understand why that term has to constantly be used.

I have some good friends that are African American. When we go out to eat, or go to play ball, or whatever, they never say "I'm a black man and you're a white man". Nothing along those lines. What we do say is "this man/woman is my friend." Why is it then, that the media outlets, the NAACP, the Al Sharpton and the Jesse Jackson's of the world continue to tell us how oppressed the "black man" is? Is it because they themselves don't believe that they are simply a man or simply a woman?

When I watch pro sports, I don't pay attention to whether or not Tracy McGrady is black and Steve Nash is white. I pay attention to the fact that they are great athletes. I don't care when I read a book what color the author was, I simply care that the book was worth reading. When I finance a vehicle for someone, it doesn't matter to me what ethnic background they come from.

Please, please understand that I don't intend for this to be racist comments in the very least. Perhaps I just need a better understanding. But why do men and women wish to refer to themselves as African American, Latin American, Asian American? Shouldn't then, caucasians refer to ourselves as English Americans? The only true "Americans" are the Native Americans, if we come right down to it.

I think we would all be better off if every person was just that. A person, a man, a woman, a child. Not a black man and a white man. Unfortunately, from my point of seeing things, those of a different ethnicity tend to be the ones that continue to see things from a skewed perspective. We shouldn't be forced to see each other as being different because of the color of our skin. We should be judged based upon our qualifications, our likability, our personal skill levels. Not based upon an organization getting together and saying "it's going to cost you money if you don't interview a black man for the job, even if you've already made your choice."

Again, please don't take this as a racist point of view. No matter the color of your skin, the origin of your beliefs or the level of wealth you have attained, I will always welcome you into my home or welcome your point of view. As I said, maybe I just need some clarification.

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2004, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

great post
Old 20 Dec 2004, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Slash will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeo
Why do we continue to hear so much about affirmative action?

I cannot possibly begin to imagine the racism that African Americans have gone through in the past. I can only hope that I do not display any racial tendencies. But why, oh why, do we continually hear about minorities not getting the respect that they deserve and there being rules that govern things such as hiring a coach for a professional team?
Nice Topic. This isn't a diss towards you OEO or anyone who uses the term African-American but I find the term rather stale and usless. I lived in the garbage part of Toronto for almost a decade because my parents themselves were immigrants and could not speak english. They both worked 12-15 hour days for minimum wage. Anyways, not all black people are from Africa. I have many friends from Somolia, Guyana, England, Kenya. They are all black and not all from Africa. I mean I know the majority were decendants from African heritage, infact in essence we all were I suppose. And even though the term is correct and does apply, I just find it out of date in a sense.

Quote:
Take, for example, the Miami Dolphins. They have made a decision that they wish to hire Nick Saban as their next head football coach. Yet, according to league rules, they must interview a minority candidate for the position or they will be fined for not following the rules. He has no chance of getting the job because they have already made their decision. Yet, he must go through the process and they must go through the process because that is the guidelines established by the league in conjunction with the Black Coaches of America foundation. I would think that it is more degrading for someone to go through that than it is for them not to have to do it.
Every situation is different. One of the arguments is the ratio of black athletes compared to black coaches compared to black owners is very skewed. Thus black people aren't given the same oppertunities to become coaches as they are athletes. I think you are seeing this trend begin to alter especially in the NBA, regardless of colour. We got some minority owners in Magic Johnson, MJ (although no more), we have some GM's in the form of Isiah and Larry Bird, and we have some coaches in the form of Don Nelson, Sam Mitchell, Doc Rivers etc.

Quote:
I constantly hear that there are few "black" coaches in sports. And anytime that a person is fired, the first question that arises is "was it because he's a minority that he was fired?" In the case of Notre Dame, I heard that over and over. Ty Willingham was not fired because he is black. He was fired because he wasn't winning ball games. Just as Bob Davey was fired before him. Just as Ron Zook was fired from Florida. Just as Frank Solich was fired from Nebraska. People weren't in an uproar about them because they are caucasians.

I hear Stephen A. Smith talk about the need for more black coaches. I hear the NAACP talk about how it is a travesty that something happens. I hear all of these things, and they constantly bring up the fact that a person is "black" or "African American". I can't understand why that term has to constantly be used.

I have some good friends that are African American. When we go out to eat, or go to play ball, or whatever, they never say "I'm a black man and you're a white man". Nothing along those lines. What we do say is "this man/woman is my friend." Why is it then, that the media outlets, the NAACP, the Al Sharpton and the Jesse Jackson's of the world continue to tell us how oppressed the "black man" is? Is it because they themselves don't believe that they are simply a man or simply a woman?
I think we are naive as people to believe that though. Becuase I believe the same thing as you OEO, but it's still an arrogant presumption on our part to tell the rest of us what we should or should not say and believe. We are the norm, I come from the mediteranian (sp?) but I'm still not as dark as a Somolian or African, but because I believe we should all look upon each other as equal is not to say the next guy should. We have never had that burden of being discriminated against.

Quote:
When I watch pro sports, I don't pay attention to whether or not Tracy McGrady is black and Steve Nash is white. I pay attention to the fact that they are great athletes. I don't care when I read a book what color the author was, I simply care that the book was worth reading. When I finance a vehicle for someone, it doesn't matter to me what ethnic background they come from.
Look no further than Eminem and the role he plays in our culture. Is he any better than Nas or Rakim or Talib Kweli, nope, but he's still portrayed as the best rapper because he is a white man performing in what is percieved to be a black medium. Why is it a rare visual to see a black man playing rock n' roll. Rock n' roll was invented by the black man, the greatest guitar player ever was black, the blues were created by the black man, which in turned created rock n' roll.

IMHO every human sees the world in colour. I personally don't think anyone is above it.

Quote:
Please, please understand that I don't intend for this to be racist comments in the very least. Perhaps I just need a better understanding. But why do men and women wish to refer to themselves as African American, Latin American, Asian American? Shouldn't then, caucasians refer to ourselves as English Americans? The only true "Americans" are the Native Americans, if we come right down to it.

I think we would all be better off if every person was just that. A person, a man, a woman, a child. Not a black man and a white man. Unfortunately, from my point of seeing things, those of a different ethnicity tend to be the ones that continue to see things from a skewed perspective. We shouldn't be forced to see each other as being different because of the color of our skin. We should be judged based upon our qualifications, our likability, our personal skill levels. Not based upon an organization getting together and saying "it's going to cost you money if you don't interview a black man for the job, even if you've already made your choice."
I'll only speak for Toronto, but the CBC did a report on racial profiling in Toronto, and quite simply put, the scenario you wish to occur will never come to fruition. When the law which we would allow and hope treat us equally under its guiding principles does infact, the opposite in Canada...What does that say about the world.

Quite simply, we are all judged by the colour of our skin, ethnicity, origin and whatever else you want to include. It is something that will never change.

Quote:
Again, please don't take this as a racist point of view. No matter the color of your skin, the origin of your beliefs or the level of wealth you have attained, I will always welcome you into my home or welcome your point of view. As I said, maybe I just need some clarification.
The world is a fucked up place man, that's all I know I can personally clarify.

TOWC: The Legend Continues

9 Times....
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote