ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

No Liberal Bias Here...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2004, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.
Send a message via MSN to Trevelbond
Default No Liberal Bias Here...

I believe that CBS finally shit in its own hat big time and got caught. I stopped watching 60 Minutes years ago when the obvious news-twisting became more than I could stand to witness, so I didn't see the big story. But I'm not surprised by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sun-Times
Unfortunately for CBS, Dan Rather's hairdresser sucks up so much of the budget that there was nothing left for any fact-checking, so the ''60 Minutes'' crew rushed on air with a damning National Guard memo conveniently called ''CYA'' that Bush's commanding officer had written to himself 32 years ago. ''This was too hot not to push,'' one producer told the American Spectator. Hundreds of living Swiftvets who've signed affidavits and are prepared to testify on camera -- that's way too cold to push; we'd want to fact-check that one thoroughly, till, say, midway through John Kerry's second term. But a handful of memos by one dead guy slipped to us by a Kerry campaign operative -- that meets ''basic standards'' and we gotta get it out there right away.
A friend of the family is in Washington DC today to walk in the Veterans Against Kerry march and I can't find ANY coverage of that event by major news media. I wonder why? They ran pictures of every dipshit protester they could find outside the RNC.

No... not a trace of liberal bias here.

Quote:
Hey, why not? Who's gonna spot it? If CBS says it's so, that's good enough for Thomas Oliphant's Boston Globe, the New York Times and the Washington Post, all of whom rushed the story onto their front pages because it met their ''basic standards.'' On Friday morning, Paul Krugman, the New York Times' excitable economist, filed a column called, ''The Dishonesty Thing,'' and for one moment I thought he was about to upbraid CBS for rushing on air with their laughably fake memos. But no, he was droning on about how the National Guard story demonstrated George W. Bush's ''pattern of lies: his assertions that he fulfilled his obligations when he obviously didn't ..."
STILL... no liberal bias here.

And there ain't no goddam clouds in the sky, either.

-Trevelbond-
Trevelbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2004, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.

N.Y. Post:
Quote:
GUARD-MEMO 'HOAX'

By DEBORAH ORIN and IAN BISHOP

September 10, 2004 --

A storm erupted last night over whether CBS anchor Dan Rather fell for a hoax or had authentic documents when he challenged President Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard.

The wife and son of the late officer who purportedly wrote the memos questioning Bush's performance challenged their authenticity as did another officer who served with him, and several document experts.

"The wording in these documents is very suspect to me," said Marjorie Connell, widow of Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, who died in 1984.

In an interview with ABC radio, she said her late husband didn't type and was a big fan of the young Bush, whom he regarded as "an excellent aviator."

Killian's son Gary said one of the memos signed by his dad looks legitimate but questioned the legitimacy of another unsigned memo titled "CYA" that speaks of pressure to "sugarcoat" Bush's performance in August 1973.

"It just wouldn't happen. The only thing that can happen when you keep secret files like that are bad things . . . No officer in his right mind would write a memo like that," said Gary Killian, who served in the Guard with his dad and retired as a captain in 1991.

Rather claimed Wednesday on "60 Minutes II" that CBS was told the memos suggesting Bush ignored orders to take a physical came from Jerry Killian's personal files but Gary Killian said his dad didn't regularly bring work home.

The personnel chief in Killian's unit in the 1970s, Rufus Martin, said he thinks Rather fell for a hoax "They look like forgeries to me. I don't think Killian would do that and I knew him for 17 years."

CBS stood by its story but declined to specify who supplied the documents or name the experts who vetted their authenticity except to say they were "thoroughly investigated by independent experts."

The authenticity questions erupted on the Internet, starting with Powerlineblog.com, and several experts said the memos are dubious because they look like contemporary, computer documents:

* The type spacing is proportional a wide letter like a "w" gets more space than an "i." That's typical of documents created with the Microsoft Word computer word-processing program but most 1970s typewriters gave the same space to each letter, the experts said.

* References to military units like the 187th have the "th" in a raised superscript. This is automatic on Microsoft Word documents.

Several experts questioned whether a typical 1970s typewriter would have superscripts. An IBM spokeswoman said the superscript may have been available on Selectrics in the early 1970s, but couldn't pinpoint a date.

* The apostrophe in words like "he's" look curly but most typewriters had blunt apostrophes with straight edges.

* The typeface looks identical to 11-point Times New Roman, a standard Microsoft Word typeface.

* Each line in the memos looks smooth, unlike hunt-and-peck typing where some letters are struck harder than others.

"I would have a lot of questions about it before I would want to accept it," said Emily Will, an expert in Raleigh, N.C.

Computer-document expert William Flynn told The Weekly Standard: "These sure look like forgeries." With Post Wire Services
Old 11 Sep 2004, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

More on the case...

Quote:
More Problems Surface With '60 Minutes' Documents
By Robert B. Bluey
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
September 10, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - Additional questions were circulating Friday about the contents of four purported military documents that served as the basis for a Bush-bashing segment on the CBS News program "60 Minutes" Wednesday night.

Doubts about the authenticity of the documents first reported by CNSNews.com on Thursday spread across the Internet and cable news shows Thursday when several forensic document experts, typographers and retired military officers offered their analysis. Friday's newspapers also carried stories questioning the documents' authenticity.

Even the widow and son of the alleged author of the memos, the late Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian, questioned whether the documents were real. Killian's widow, Marjorie, called the records "a farce," according to The Washington Post, and his son, Gary, who retired from the Texas Air National Guard in 1991, told The Associated Press one unsigned document looked fake.

A memo dated May 4, 1972, claims that Bush refused to follow an order to undertake a medical examination. Another unsigned memo from May 19, 1972, suggests that Bush was "talking to someone upstairs" to get out of his duty with the Texas Air National Guard.

"It just wouldn't happen," Gary Killian told the AP. "The only thing that can happen when you keep secret files like that are bad things. ... No officer in his right mind would write a memo like that."

"I don't think there were any documents," added Killian's widow, Marjorie Connell, in a Washington Post article. "He was not a paper person."

Questions about the documents, which were the basis of Wednesday's "60 Minutes" program, prompted a swift reaction from the network.

"As a standard practice at CBS, each of the documents broadcast on '60 Minutes' was thoroughly investigated by independent experts and we are convinced of their authenticity," the network said in a statement Thursday afternoon.

In a subsequent interview with WorldNetDaily, CBS spokeswoman Kelli Edwards said, "CBS verified the authenticity of the documents by talking to individuals who had seen the documents at the time they were written. These individuals were close associates of Colonel Jerry Killian and confirm that the documents reflect his opinions at the time the documents were written."

The documents were released Wednesday night by the White House, which didn't question their accuracy but characterized them as "dirty politics," after obtaining them from CBS News. The network has refused to reveal the source of the documents.

Typography questions

Initial questions about the 32-year-old documents arose when two Internet blogs - Power Line and Little Green Footballs - noted some of the computer-like characteristics of the documents. Typographers who spoke to CNSNews.com confirmed some of the discrepancies.

According to Allan Haley, director of words and letters at Agfa Monotype in Wilmington, Mass., the documents couldn't have been produced on a typewriter because they contain the superscript "th" in "111th F.I.S." and apostrophes in words like "I'm" and "he's."

Those characters are native to current word processing programs. Microsoft Word, for instance, automatically changes the "th" after numbers to a superscript. Most typewriters, except perhaps the most high-end models, couldn't process such a character in 1972, typographers told CNSNews.com.

"The 'I'm' is set with an apostrophe," Haley added. "There were no apostrophes on typewriters. There were foot and inch marks that had to do double duty."

Another characteristic not typically found on typewriters in 1972 was a proportional typeface. Although some typewriter models included this feature, they were not widespread. Each of the documents is set in proportional type, meaning the letter "m" occupies a larger space than "i."

Strange military lingo

Former military officers and others with knowledge of military correspondence contacted CNSNews.com Thursday to present their own critique. Among the problems they cited:

* The documents are not on a standard letterhead. Instead, they feature a typewritten and centered address with a post office box rather than an actual street address of the squadron. The address is P.O. Box 34567, which coincidentally includes five consecutive numbers.

* Dates in the letters - "04 May 1972" and "14 May, 1972" - are inconsistent and do not follow military form. The military prefers the following example, according to ex-officers: 4 May 72. It doesn't include a zero preceding the date or a comma following the month.

* The lines "MEMORANDUM FOR:" and "SUBJECT:" that begin the May 4, 1972, document, weren't officially used in the 1970s. According to one retired military officer, the correct format then was most likely "REPLY TO ATTN OF:" then "SUBJECT:" and finally "TO:" preceding the text of the message.

* Bush's name was listed in the memo as "1st Lt. George W. Bush." But other military documents, including those posted on Sen. John Kerry's website use a different format. Bush's name would have likely appeared as "1LT Bush, GW" or "1LT G Bush."

* There shouldn't be disparities in the May 4, 1972, letter such as, "111 F.I.S." and "111th F.I.S.," according to ex-military officers. Also, the acronym "F.I.S.," which stands for Fighter Intercept Squadron, shouldn't have included periods.

* The signature block with Killian's name lists his rank as "Lt. Colonel," when in reality most military commanders abbreviated that title as "LTC" or "Lt. Col.," according to retired officers. The signature block also includes the word "Commander" when "Commanding" was the preferred reference.

Source of the letter

Despite the attempts of news organizations to obtain the source of the "60 Minutes" documents, CBS News has refused to budge. The Washington Post reported Thursday and Friday that the network wouldn't disclose where the documents came from.

Gary Killian told the AP the documents didn't come from his family, even though an article on the CBS News website said they were retrieved from Jerry Killian's "personal file."

One anti-Bush group distanced itself from the controversy Thursday amid suspicion that it was a possible source of the purported memos.

The group Texans for Truth, which has received support and assistance from MoveOn.org, was formed in late August and has created a television ad critical of Bush. A spokesman for MoveOn.org said the left-wing group hadn't supplied CBS News with the documents.

In an article published Thursday by The Weekly Standard, author Stephen F. Hayes wrote that CBS News could clear up the controversy if it provided the name of the expert who authenticated the documents, offered outside experts the opportunity to review original copies of the documents and disclosed the source of the documents.

But, as the magazine reported, CBS News spokeswoman Edwards was "overwhelmed with phone calls" Thursday. She said the network wouldn't provide any further information beyond its statement.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/BushGuardmay4.pdf

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/BushGuardmay19.pdf
Old 11 Sep 2004, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

yeah.....there's no liberal bias in the media whatsoever.....

edit-I forgot the smiley code.....

I find it odd that all this stuff is now coming out, but where was it four years ago.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.

Last edited by Oeo; 11 Sep 2004 at 02:30 PM.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2004, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Trev, We get the point! You don't need to post any more about this.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2004, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucheaux
Trev, We get the point! You don't need to post any more about this.
Yes, there is no Liberal Media Bias, The documents are authentic...

Look what I just typed up BTW...
Old 11 Sep 2004, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

More info:
Old 11 Sep 2004, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bah Gawd

WallsOfJericho can only hope to improveWallsOfJericho can only hope to improveWallsOfJericho can only hope to improve

yeah, there's a liberal bias in the media. neil cavuto, rush limbaugh, sean hannity, o'reilly, joe scarborough, pat buchanan and others are all democrats

oh wait though, i guess since most movie stars are liberals that makes it a liberal bias? but are you forgetting about how talk radio is dominated by conservatives?

my name is now WallsOfJericho, so yes, i am again, the walls of jericho.
WallsOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2004, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

CBS Research

Noted for quality, thoroughness, attention to detail, reliability, and accuracy:

Bouffard* You accurate reporters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broussard.jpg (38.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 12 Sep 2004, 12:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

It's not like there hasn't been proof of the ridiculous liberal slant in the media...but this one is just sooooooo tasty. Dan Rather is a piece of shit. He and Peter Jennings can go do the Liberal hat dance and jerk off to a photo of FDR. The truth always comes out.

Come to think of it, the next time they do that celebrity boxing thing, I'd like to see Pat Buchanan vs. Dan Rather.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2004, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

heh it's funny how conservatives whine and bitch about the media when something comes out against their people, and yet they praise the lies of their own people.

News
Siwft Boats Vets question Kerry military record.

Conservatives Response
Kerry is a liar SBVT are god Republicans are always right

And now the turnaround

News
Bush's military records questioned

Conservatives Reponse
The liberal media is spreading lies! "Insert reporter's name here" is a fucking liar, Truth shal prevail, we are victims of a smear campaign.

This also applies to the Liberals as well but the ones who complain the most about this are the conservatives. So to put it in words anyone can understand. Conservatives have fun when they bash but they bitch and whine when they are on the recieving.
Toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2004, 03:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

^That's the most accurate description I've ever heard about this. My hat's off to you.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2004, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Bah Gawd

WallsOfJericho can only hope to improveWallsOfJericho can only hope to improveWallsOfJericho can only hope to improve

Quote:
This also applies to the Liberals as well but the ones who complain the most about this are the conservatives. So to put it in words anyone can understand. Conservatives have fun when they bash but they bitch and whine when they are on the recieving.

that's usually what hannity says about democrats. he says that they can dish it out but can't take the punch?

my name is now WallsOfJericho, so yes, i am again, the walls of jericho.
WallsOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2004, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

Sean Hannity is the first whiner when conservatives are on the recieving. He's the biggest hypocritical douche bag Since O'Reilly.
Toof is offline   Reply With Quote