ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

the voids in our existence ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2004, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
givin you the evil eye...

Nullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Nullpunkt Send a message via AIM to Nullpunkt Send a message via MSN to Nullpunkt Send a message via Yahoo to Nullpunkt
naughty the voids in our existence ...

Yes, it's been common knowledge for quite some time now that science is based on the observation of things.

I was having discussion with my roomate (we've both studied philosophy, and he's majoring in Psychology) about the ancient greek theory that there is no such thing as a void space (if you want to get specific the two greek philosophers involved in this were Leucippus(sp?) and Democritus).

We were thinking about outer space, how atoms are so few and far between, and for the most part, there is simply nothing.

While there is the theory of dark matter, We found it very dubious and sketchy at best to say that matter exists simply to fit a somewhat supported theory, but cannot be otherwise accounted for. (Unless one of you actually has a box of dark matter in your closet that might shut me up)

So we were thinking, how can we point to an area and say "That's nothing, so that must be, without a doubt, a void in the universe".

We only know things exist because we can sense them, right? Riiiiiiiiight?

Existence is defined by physical properties and to a lesser extent the five senses, so how can one point to a void and say it exists? We have no means to measure of a void, except the lack of measure, correct?.

Isn't pointing to a void the same as pointing to (any kind of) God?

And no people, let's not look too much into that last line, ok? I don't want to turn this into some hugely religious debate. I needed an example to explain what I said in the post above, and i felt that particular example was the easiest way to get my point across.

If someone can give me a better example to use than that..... I will gladly replace it.