ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

Free Speech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2003, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kryptonite

Default Free Speech

As most of you who read my posts probably know by now...I am a big advocate of the first ammendment.

The Right to Free Speech gives you a lot of protection...but In your opinion, what doesn't or shouldnt the First Ammendment protect.

As I've stated previously , this ammendment gives you the right and responsibility to question your leaders. However it also extends to other areas.

Larry Flynt was once sued by Jerry Falwell for something in Flynt's Hustler Magazine....Flynt claimed it was a work of Satire and it was protected by the first ammendment, and Flynt won.
Hustler Magazine, Inc. v. Falwell, 485 U.S. 46, 108 S.Ct. 876, 99 L.Ed.2d. 41 (1988)

The freedom of Speech is not all encompassing, such as you are not protected if you decide to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater...if you tried to use your freedom to incite a panic or riot, you are not covered by this ammendment

Then you encounter the idea of censorship, where works of art have been altered or removed from public display due to people finding it "inappropriate"

I really could post about 100 pages worth of 1st ammendment cases and precedent...but I want to know what you believe this ammendment entitles you too

Where do you believe your freedom of speech begins and ends?
Where is the line drawn?
How much freedom is too much? Can you have too much?
Old 21 Nov 2003, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer

I myself live in a country where we can speak freely but we have to watch what we say because if we get sued we haven't got much portection in a court room.

Free Speech is a Gift for you Americans, I wouldn't know how far you can take it but sometimes if wouldn't save you from server cases. Like take Kurt's example of the Fire in a Theatre and people panic, If he gets charged with whatever he shouldn't get off scott free because of some ancient law state he can say what he feels like no matter how stupid or idiotic it is.

Some laws lose their meanings over years while society evolves, I just hope this one doesn't get totally abused instead...

Last edited by Dante; 21 Nov 2003 at 08:33 PM.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2003, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

The Free Speech Rule it's a double edged sword. And Kurt you also have to put in cosideration that censorship is something made to beneficiate certain groups only. But to some point we really don't have freedom of sppech anymore. I mean you go and say something about someone and everybody wants to eat you alive. Take the Dexie Chicks for example. They talked about our beloved president (Beloved my ass by the way) and all of a sudden everyone was talking crap and condeming their actions. I'm not saying they did right but seriously do you think now a days we have freedom of speech when we have people complaining and bitching for every single comment someone makes?
Toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2003, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kryptonite

Sweet Tooth...the same freedom of Speech that gave the dixie Chicks the right to say what they did, gives the people who disagree with them the right to say that.

Censorship to an extent is a necessary evil in today's United States.

You have to keep a careful watch over what kids might be able to see or hear because the parents of today are too busy ignoring their kids to help teach them. The parents leave that up to schools and the streets. If parents would pay attention to what their kids watch and listen to...or just take time out of their busy day to spend time with their kids....maybe censorship would become a nonissue.

I might have drifted off topic on this but I felt the need to vent.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 03:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer

No no that's good because I got some things to say about Censorship too. I myself think Censorship is unfair and uneeded. I mean they're basically saying "I'm sorry you can't see or listen to this be it's inappropriate", Inappropriate my ass, If I wanna see a pair of tits jiggling infront of me on the screen then I'm all for it. I don't give a fuck what people say, it's healthy. I'm gonna touch on things that get banned, Like games or movies. They're also saying there too "Sorry you can't watch this movie because it's too violent or to explict, now do as I say and if you watch this movie anyway you will be arrested". Now sure that's another story for a kid but I noticed adults fire up about this too. They find it ridiculous that people choose what they should and shouldn't watch. We can choose for ourselves...

Assholes.