ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Off-Topic > Meeting Of The Minds

Meeting Of The Minds For Intelligent Conversations Only!

The Ultimate Controversy: God and Religion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2003, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

DJ Miz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DJ Miz
Default The Ultimate Controversy: God and Religion

Now if any of you are die har religious people, you probably shouldnt read this if you do not wish to be offended. if i DO offend anyone, i apologize ahead of time..

Now what is your opinion surrounding religion in general, not a specific one, but the greater picture. My opinion is a long one

I think that god does not exist. I feel that religion is just a security blanket for all of us. People want to believe that in their lif,e if they do good, or at least pray every once in a while, they will go to 'heavan'

The truth to me is that, people dont want to think their life had gone in vain and that when they die, that's it, they just die, they're thrown in the ground or they're burned and spread around. People would be a lot less accepting of death if they had nothing to believe in. If that little 'heaven' thing didnt exist, or people didnt believe in it, they would do things in life a lot differently.

But with 'heaven' there and 'existing,' people will accept the fact of death sooo much more, i know that no one want to know that they truely are alone in life. Even the lonliest person can turn around and have 'god' still in their life, and they would 'know' that when they died, they wouldnt die alone, they would have 'god' by his side.

But you see, i am a hypocrite, even though i do not believe in most of this stuff, i feel myself slipping into the people i have categorized above. I also know that i do not want to die alone, it is one of my biggest fears, (aside from heights and mannequins, and fat chicks occasionnaly, no ALWAYS) so i find myself turning to religion, not because i believe it, but because i want a sense of closure when i die.

Now some religions i find are awesome, like Buddhism, all that religion is about is inner peace and enlightenment, and considering my rage problems i think a conversion could be in order, but that s long down the road. I hope you took the time to read this, it's something i feel strongly about and i keep switching sides from time to time, you just caught me when i was on the 'atheist' side....

What are your opinions?
DJ Miz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2003, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
aka Mind Freak

Sarah is on a distinguished road

everyone takes a journey when it comes to faith, values, principles and religion. I have had many things happen in my life that tell me there is a god, there is a heaven and hell. most people, especially those who receieve higher education tend to lean fall back on scientific principles and lose part of their value system in the process. I, like many others have gone through such a journey but I came to a different conclusion which has made my faith even stronger than before. Very few people I know don't wish to die alone that is true. I don't know what your expriences have been that have made you come to such a conclusion hence I wonder how you came to sucha conclusion hat there is no god...

My dearest Ash, we will be together very soon. I love you very deeply. Until our time comes I will be waiting for you.

I am now complete
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2003, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Miz, according what I have heard, blaspheming god in the way that Atheists do (saying he doesn't exist) is an unforgivable sin and you will go to hell.

I myself am an Atheist. I used to believe there was a god, then I started going to church. I sat through sermon after sermon, half listening, half staring off into space, and to me, it just seemed like a load of BS. It always seems to come back to money some way or another. One time in particular that stands out in my mind because it was the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. There was some guy and his wife evangelizing and on a mission or something. He was talking about the offering that was about to be taken up, and he said something to the effect of, "God has told me that there are 7 people in this church that will give at least 1000 dollars each (I don't know what the number was, but it was high). I was in absolute disbelief of that he said that God told him so many people would donate X amount of dollars. This church also just happened to have a lot of wealthy members, so I'm sure some of the wealthiest ones sat back and were like, "God probably wants me to give that much because we have it".

This new church that I'm taking my mom to and staying for the services bothers me also. Every Sunday before the offering is taken, the pastor is like, "I thank the Lord that you people are here, otherwise you wouldn't be able to give an offering" and then he has kind of a chuckle.

I also really dislike how the bible contradicts itself so many times (I have a sweet ass Atheist website that breaks the bible down and has all the contradictions in it). I also have many arguments that I use when talkin to Christians, but I won't get into them now as I have made this post long enough as it is. I might come back to it later and share some more of my beliefs and views on religion....
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2003, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Xer
minty fresh

Xer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow posters

As a Roman Catholic I wouldn't say that it's my duty to believe in the bible and its teachings or for that matter God..but I do.To me faith in something transcends meaning and reasoning..there does not have to be a valid point or objective created in order for something to exist..if I were to base my beliefs on my experiences in life then I would have to come to the realisation that God was not real..because I have been dealt more than a few bad hands in my life.Faith is a powerful thing,very willfull.I have no fear of death because it is inevitable..it is to a certain extent a basic fundamental purpose in life..the yin and yang ideology..the alpha to the omega.We are born so for that we must also die,there is no escaping reason.The Bible has many teachings,I will confess that I do not attend Church or read the Bible..but this is because our faith is in my estimation not governed by how we practice in this life..how we go about our daily routine.God is not in a building where people congrugate once a week..his teachings in the Bible are only noteworthy as a guide to the way we have belief.God is everywhere,God can be and is everything and anything.So it stands to reason that my belief stems from the way i live my life..I take comfort in knowing that there will be more to my life once it ends on this earth,that there are more chapters to be written,that there is more to be done..my beliefs do not require anyone else to believe what I believe in..to me it is not a matter of a safety blanket or false hope,it is knowing NOT thinking that the universe was simply not created by nothing..infinite galaxies,and nothing beyond our little solar system..that I just cannot believe.I believe in God not out of fear or even hope..but out of the fact of knowing that there is more to existence than what we are presented with at this point and time..in my mind I believe and know there is more..that's my faith.
Old 22 Jun 2003, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
like a pimp

pimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster ever

Religion just doesn't do anything for me. Last year, this girl asked me to go to church with her, just to check it out. I was way more interested in getting with her than with jesus, oh and it didn't happen anyway.

I just can't believe any of that religious stuff. It seems too far-fetched for me. But i don't think it's a bad thing for most of the people who choose to follow it. Religion can do a lot of good for people who need it.

So i guess if there is a heaven and hell, i'll be burning for eternity because i love my sin.

Scrotum, Scrotum, It's my wrinkly-crinkly bag of skin. Scrotum, Scrotum, it's the thing i keep my testes in. It's wrinkly and crinkly and covered in hair and i don't know what i'd do if it wasn't there. Scrotum, Scrotum, it's my wrinkly-crinkly bag of skin.
pimpinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Quote:
pimpinthebox said in post # :
I just can't believe any of that religious stuff. It seems too far-fetched for me. But i don't think it's a bad thing for most of the people who choose to follow it. Religion can do a lot of good for people who need it.
I agree with you, religion (Christianity at least) is way too far fetched. Pastor would preach a sermon on heaven and hell and decribe them both.

When you go to heaven, you approach the pearl gates and if you name is in the lamb's book of life, you get in and you walk streets of gold and everyone has their own mansion.

Hell, you burn for eternity in a fiery pit with the other tortured souls.

To me, that just sounds like a fairy tale. I believe that Christianity was created in the name of the almighty dollar, the same dollar that their almight god bows down to. Tithing is giving 10% of your money every month. If you don't tithe, you'll go to hell. If you tithe and believe in 'our' God, then you get into heaven. Heaven was just created to make people think that they will have riches and rewards for giving to the church and living a good life style and repenting their sins. Hell was just created to scare them into believing their stories and scare them into giving money to the church.

Here's a little phrase I heard somewhere, but I forget where.

Silly christians, myths are for kids.

That pretty much sums up the bible and Christianity, at least in my opinion.

Also, who needs the bible to know how to lead their life? Common sense tells you not to break laws, hurt your neighbors, sleep with animals, etc. I don't need the 10 Commandments or the bible to tell me it's wrong to kill someone.
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Opening Act

G-freak is on a distinguished road

I am christian,but one question I have is that if God is gracious,then why does he make people suffer and burn for eternity just for not worshipping him,even if they are good people?
G-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2003, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
aka Mind Freak

Sarah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
G-freak said in post # :
I am christian,but one question I have is that if God is gracious,then why does he make people suffer and burn for eternity just for not worshipping him,even if they are good people?

God gave people somehting called free will. So what other people do to others is caused by free will and choice rather than God's own doing, the way i see it. And anyway life isn't fair to begin with...though it is harsh its true.

My dearest Ash, we will be together very soon. I love you very deeply. Until our time comes I will be waiting for you.

I am now complete
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2003, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
like a pimp

pimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster everpimpinthebox is the absolute WORST poster ever

Quote:
G-freak said in post # :
Yeah, like me. I know i'm a good person. I help people out when i can and i generally care, but since i don't worship god, i'm going to hell. It seems a little stupid to me.

Scrotum, Scrotum, It's my wrinkly-crinkly bag of skin. Scrotum, Scrotum, it's the thing i keep my testes in. It's wrinkly and crinkly and covered in hair and i don't know what i'd do if it wasn't there. Scrotum, Scrotum, it's my wrinkly-crinkly bag of skin.
pimpinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2003, 02:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
punished by Exo indefinitely for trying to stalk and for being a dork

Fallen Angel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fallen Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Fallen Angel

Faith within any belief, isn't essential to attain enlightment or happiness... but remaining true to yourself, while in the process of keeping your personal horizons open and clear, can be very difficult... depending on your preference, most people solely depend on religion for their comfort or way of living, while others like myself... tend to keep all avenues of perspective open, without contradicting individual values and moral -- I never attend church nor do I believe in living a life based on words, written within a book... because they don't determine or have any hold on my views, I am my own person/entity, to allow such vague conception in all varied religions, to control and decide every action... would be indeed foolish, without variety and choice, it does prove without challenge... faith should not be about desperation, it should be a state of mind... how we are aware of our surroundings and environments, whether it concerns worship or motive, faith is about believing beyond logical or humane ways... an extension of just how much we dwelve within ourselves, we are our own god, we are our own hell... just depends on how we live our lives, and understand our own person, that will we ever be free to determine what is real and what is not.

people have a tendency to blame "God" for their troubles and hardship, perhaps because that is easy... and they are not aware of just how much they can make a difference for themselves, in order to expect the best... we must earn and expect the best from ourselves, because without faith... what is left to distinguish us from the emptiness... and confusion, this life does bring.

there will always be conflict, but how we find peace and achieve solace through such means, is more meaningful than actually achieving as such, follow your heart... senses can fail you, when you are without reason, revert to your instincts, they never mislead... it's all a matter, of how much you are willing to listen, since acception is key, in gaining the will and power to comprehend your position, opening your eyes on a "purpose" in all things -- 'religion'.

I am not an "atheist", merely neutral... I will not tolerate being a close minded fool, since I don't worship a burning bush, nor do I worship a pitchfork weilding 'bull'... or goat, when I don't have to... so to each their own, whatever suits your fancy, -- just try not getting yourself lost and/or caught up in all the 'bullshit'.
~"The earth is full of kings and queens. They'll blind your eyes and steal your dreams. Kurt Cobain didn't make it... and left behind a generation of tortured souls. heed this warning."~
<center>
<select name=which style="font-family: tahoma; font-size: 9pt; background-color: black; font-weight: ; color: darkblue">
<option>Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box</option>
<option></option>
<option>She eyes me like a pisces when I am weak</option>
<option>I've been locked inside your Heart Shaped box for a week</option>
<option>I was drawn into your magnet tar pit trap</option>
<option>I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn back</option>
<option></option>
<option>Hey!</option>
<option>Wait!</option>
<option></option>
<option>I've got a new complaint</option>
<option>Forever in debt to your priceless advice</option>
<option></option>
<option>(Hate)</option>
<option>(Weight)</option>
<option></option>
<option></option>
<option>Hey!</option>
<option>Wait!</option>
<option></option>
<option>Meat-eating orchids forgive no one just yet</option>
<option>Cut myself angel's hair and baby's breath</option>
<option>Broken hymen of your highness I'm left black</option>
<option>Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back -</option>
</select>

<center>

<center>I am now complete

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2003, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
KrAyzie

MiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersMiZTaCCen is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow posters
Send a message via MSN to MiZTaCCen

I don't believe in it...I live in a religious god loving town and i think these people are so fucking brainwashed. But hey whatever floats your boat. If you believe in some thing that makes you happy that good.

But they tend to bring people into the shit that they believe in and when you don't like it they look down on you. Wtf is up with that?

Last edited by MiZTaCCen; 03 Jul 2003 at 10:48 PM.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2003, 11:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ma$tA P.I.M.P.

BigPimp is on a distinguished road

Couple of thing were said that are completly untrue. Not all churches talk about heaven and hell each week. Christian people try to make others aware of the consiquences for not living a good life and following Jesus's rules. Just because you live a good life and do all these good things is one thing, but taking Jesus into your heart as your lord and saver is another. That is the thing that impacts on where you go in the after life. The reason why we praise Jesus is because if it wasn't for him we would have no path in life and to thank him for all the things he has blessed us with.

*>>> MoD!Vat!oNaL P.!.M.P. <<<*
BigPimp is offline   Reply With Quote