ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Do you like comparisons between pro wrestlers why or why not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2010, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jobber

?i?? ? h??m???l is on a distinguished road
Default Do you like comparisons between pro wrestlers why or why not?

Here are some I see frequently.

Randy Orton is the new Stone Cold

John Cena is the new Hogan/Rock

Jack Swagger is the new Kurt Angle

Dolph Ziggler is the new Curt Henning
?i?? ? h??m???l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2010, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Suicide Staxx is on a distinguished road

No, I don't .

I have never seen one wrestler who competes just like another . Jack Swagger is not the new Kurt Angle, Randy Orton is far from being Stone Cold, and John Cena is good, but not as good as The Rock . Every wrestler has their very own unique style that no one else can compare to . I don't know why people do it .
Suicide Staxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2010, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Who_s Bad? is on a distinguished road

No. It gets pretty annoying. I only compare wrestlers and wrestling related things to other things outside the genre. I mean really, how the hell is R-Truth the next Booker T and John Morrison the next Shawn Michaels?
Who_s Bad? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2010, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Broken Dreams is on a distinguished road

Randy Orton's nick name is The Viper. Austin's nick name was The Rattle Snake, but other than that they share no comparison and are nothing alike.

John Cena is like Hogan/Rock by design. WWE's attempt of making the next top superstar. He failed, but the comparison still exists for the original purpose.

Swagger totally is Kurt Angle part 2, if that's a phrase you want to use.

Swagger also started using the Ankle Lock round about the same time Angle announced he would leave TNA if he fails the TNA title.

Again I thin it's by design because Vince would love Angle vs Swagger at WrestleMania 27.

Dolph Ziggler totally reminds me of Mr Perfect also.

I really think that Perfect is one of if not his biggest inspirations, and his idol, and his main reason why the Intercontinental title means to much to him.
Broken Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2010, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Noob

Brian F is on a distinguished road

Personally no. Most of these comparisons are between wrestling companies or between decades. The time determines what was a success or not. Try a hogan like gimmick today and it would flop. Try a randy ortion like thing then and it would flop. They play to different crowds and demographics all together. Its impossible to ask for a fair comparison. in my opinion
Brian F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2010, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Straight ?dge eniGma is on a distinguished road

No, I think that wrestlers are themselves and not versions of people from before them, people try to find someone from the past that is slightly similar to someone now, and then if there not the same in some way its a way to bash them.

Randy Orton isnt the next Stone Cold he is the now Randy Orton, and thats not a bad thing to just be his own person.
Straight ?dge eniGma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2010, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jobber

Mick is on a distinguished road

I don't have a problem with the comparisons. I thought Jack Swagger was a rip off of Angle even before he started doing the ankle lock. Once he started doing that, it was a facepalm moment for me. That being said, I like Swagger, because it takes some skills to imitate Kurt Angle to the level he does.

Comparing Cena to Hogan is natural too, although I'm confused by the Rock comparison. Cena and Hogan can't wrestle? Check. Can't be beaten? Check. Most of their fans are kids? Check.

I've rarely heard that about Orton, and never about Ziggler. There's enough differences there that I've never thought about it myself.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote