ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

This is my opinion, what's yours?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

The Reigning Champ Lesnar is on a distinguished road
Default This is my opinion, what's yours?

I will no way in hell ever respect John Cena as a wrestler. But I will however stand in his corner for him as an individual. He's a great charity worker and he's helped Make A Wish com a long way and has improved many childrens' futures. But the reason I can't stand him as a wrestler is because he's used very improperly. And he approves of it. What do you think?

Q2: What PPV are you looking forward to more: Bragging Rights or TLC?
The Reigning Champ Lesnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Rassling Fundamentals is on a distinguished road

I concur. But think of it this way -- one win over Cena can make anybody a instant main eventer. He is doing good for the business.
Rassling Fundamentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jobber

Pook S? Has Returned is on a distinguished road

I agree, I respect Cena both as a wrestler and as a person, I mean Cena has probably done alot of wishes in the past 2 years, probably more than all of the World Heavyweight title reigns combined. Plus he cares about us people whether he's a heel or a face, and his charity work forget about it.
Pook S? Has Returned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

RedlineR24 is on a distinguished road

Will HHH return this RAW
RedlineR24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Josh Extremer/Matt Striker fan is on a distinguished road

I respect him as a person I just dont like that they treat him like Superman
Josh Extremer/Matt Striker fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Young Noob

Edge Spear is on a distinguished road

If you truly respect someone, you respect them in everything they do.

Q2: TLC
Edge Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Devil_s Favorite Demon is on a distinguished road

When it comes to giving charity, making wishes as an individual its very hard to bash or argue with him. But when it comes to him wrestling its just a real shame really he doesn't know how to wrestle he always keeps on winning the matches even though he got destroyed throughout the whole match. And that my friend is my opinion on Cena.
Devil_s Favorite Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Michael is on a distinguished road

I like Cena just fine but he desperately needs to be a bad guy. The days of the Hulk Hogan Hero type are long over. He should be honored for the way he conducts himself outside of the ring. He is a real man and a great example.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

mmmcounts is on a distinguished road

I think WWE pushed Cena too hard with merchandising. He should have been a heel for quite some time now; he wouldn't have granted as many wishes, but that would have been the right move for his career and it's not like kids can't pick a different wrestler. He's actually an OK actor and by all accounts a great guy, but when someone comes that close to being a heel without actually being a heel, you just have to go with it.

My favorite Cena match was against RVD at ECW One Night Stand. A lot of that had to do with the incredible fans, but it also had a lot to do with- as you say- Cena being used properly. I hope he makes a heel turn soon. If he does that and actually plays ball with Nexus, I think I'll find myself cheering for him a lot more than I have in years.

Q2: I pick TLC. I just like those kinds of matches. I guess it depends on matchups and general storyline at the moment, though. That could change things.
mmmcounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 08:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Misshildy is on a distinguished road

I will stand in JOhn Cenas corner no matter what. He can not help but allow his self to be used as he is. You know what happens when someone complains to VKM. They are never heard from again. Thats my opinion.
Misshildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 08:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

yanksforlife is on a distinguished road

I agree. Cena doesnt belong in the ring, he belongs on Movie sets or as an announcer in WWE since he has probrably one of the best Mic skills in WWE. I hate Cena as a wrestler, but Cena is a great man with a big heart. What he does for all the kids is unbelivabe. I believe he is the most asked - for person in the make a wish foundation. I dont know if he has his own Charity, but he just makes sick and healthy kids happy, and thats what matters.

Q2: TLC: One of the Gimmick PPVS I like
yanksforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2010, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Heavyweight

The Dragon is on a distinguished road

John Cena, the human being, is above reproach. He's a model employee for the WWE, a great representative of that company, and an awesome ambassador to the outside world. His charity work is exemplary, as well.

You don't explain why you think Cena, the wrestler, is used very improperly so I can't argue specifics but I do disagree that he's used incorrectly. To wit:

The WWE has lots of cool heels running around, some in the main events, some at the mid-card level. Some are interesting and fun to watch, some are not. Sometimes theyre given interesting storylines with lots of eee-vil things to do. The good ones make us keep coming back for more (heels, eee-vil things, and storylines). And central to that way of doing TV wrestling shows (lots of bad guys running around) is having a strong hero there to foil them. And that's Cena's spot in Vince's fantasy world called the WWE.

The WWE has been operating in this manner since the early 1960's when Vince Senior put the WWWF World Title on Bruno Sammartino. Bruno was a tower of strength and morality who always played by the rules. The fans loved him. Vince Senior fed Bruno a steady stream of eee-vil heels through two reigns totaling some eleven years. Bruno was a working class hero to the fans. After Bruno came Pedro Morales, another working class hero cut from the same cloth as Bruno. The fans loved him, too. Next was Bob Backlund, another super babyface who stood for all that is right and good. The fans loved him...for most of his five-year reign. Toward the end they did get tired of him as being too goody two-shoes and sided with his heel challenger Superstar Billy Graham.

After Backlund came what most fans believe is the original superman, Hulk Hogan. In reality, Hogan was no different from Bruno Sammartino (the real first McMahon-promoted superman). Hogan may have been over-the-top and LOOKED like a superhero, but basically he was the tower of strength and morality who stood up to, and slayed, the eee-vil villains Vince Jr fed to him. The next superman was the Ultimate Warrior, another tower of strength and morality (as oddball a character as he was). That didn't quite work out (Warrior's fault, not Vince's), so the WWF went with the back-and-forth combo of the charismatic and visually spectacular heel Shawn Michaels and the next tower of strength and morality, Bret Hart.

After that came the time when every promotion got Attitude and a new type of wrestler emerged (or at least he had a name now), the anti-hero, personified in one Stone Cold Steve Austin. Austin shared the spotlight with the arrogant heel, The Rock.

Once the wrestling business dropped the Attitude, Vince and the WWE reverted to their old ways, the model that had brought Vince Sr and then Vince Jr so much success: the hero being fed a steady stream of eee-vil villains to slay. The new tower of strength and morality who stood up to those eee-vil villains was John Cena.

The hero is vital to the WWE's penchant for having much more heels than faces, especially at the main event level. Without that tower of strength and morality doing the right thing and playing by the rules to stand up to those eee-vil villains, we would be left with...Gotham City without Batman. The Joker, The Riddler, The Penguin, Catwoman, and all the other villains would be running around terrorizing the citizens, squashing whoever they want, and running roughshod over the police. And in that scenario, there is no story. It's just a bunch of bad guys being bad guys. Boring.

That's where the hero comes in. He is stronger than any of those villains and he has right on his side. Seeing The Joker torture some fool is boring because that poor fool has no chance. But seeing The Joker capture and torture Batman...THAT is interesting because we know Batman is more than capable of fighting back. Now The Joker must use all of his intelligence and dirty tricks to try to defeat Batman.

Orton, Edge, Barrett, Sheamus, etc are the WWE equivalent to The Joker, The Riddler, etc., the eee-vil villains trying to run the show. And Cena, of course, is the WWE equivalent to Batman, the tower of strength and morality trying to stop them. Doesn't matter whether or not you cheer for Batman, you watch because you know Batman and The Joker are equals and that makes their battle interesting.

And so it is with Cena. Without him being the tower of strength and morality representing right and good, Orton, Jericho, Sheamus, etc would just be a bunch of bad guys squashing poor fools who are not at their level. In the WWE, because of the way the McMahons have always operated, the hero is vital. And Cena fills that role as well as any hero in WWWF/WWF/WWE history.
The Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote