ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

why do most of you so called wrestling fans think you can tell a wrestler when it is time to retire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Noob

quote the raven,nevermore is on a distinguished road
Default why do most of you so called wrestling fans think you can tell a wrestler when it is time to retire?

i mean just look a while back Ric Flair had a 3 star match agains Jay leathal you cant sit there and tell me it is time for him to hang it up i mean if he is 60 years old and still able to put on a 3 star match why would he want to hang it up

Shawn Michales was almost 50 and he put on the peformance of a life time

same with undertaker and triple h and kurt angle and chris jericho (well mabey not chris jericho his only 39

i agree kevin nash cant move like he used to but in my eyes he is still a good wrestler and a D@MN good entertainer
quote the raven,nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Safe Mode is on a distinguished road

I love feta cheese
Safe Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jobber

Jay Titan is on a distinguished road

I Think Rick Flair Should stick to mentor AJ Styles on Being a Dirty Player,

Maybe if He Mentored Joe it'd be pretty awesome!!!

Am i Wrong???
Jay Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

The Bad Guy [X9] is on a distinguished road

first of all HBK was 45 get your figures right. almost 50 is 48 or 49.

second, flair is NOT entertaining in the ring. hasn't been for some time.

third, we as the fans can decide when someone has fallen off, past their prime, or has just gotten annoying. flair refuses to leave, and apparently, we're sick of him!
The Bad Guy [X9] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Jimmy Balloon is on a distinguished road

Im sorry............but are you mental? Kevin Nash cant move like he used to but in my eyes he's still a good wrestler

HE CANT EVEN WALK PROPERLY!

HE HAS NO CARTLIDGE IN HIS KNEES!

How in the hell can he still be a good wrestler? He wasnt even an average wrestler when WWE revived the NWO in 2002, he is a joke.

As for Flair, 3 star match? Really? Unless you mean 3 stars out of 10, and that would be generous.

Flair is an embarassment now, he shouldnt be allowed near a pair of boots
Jimmy Balloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Julius C is on a distinguished road

Let me correct you.

1) The Nature Boy Ric Flair turned 61 this year and while he still can wrestle decent matches, I would prefer for him to manage Fortune.

2) Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker both turned 45 this year. In my opinion, the match at Wrestlemania XXVI was better than their match at Wrestlemania XXV, but neither one was as good as the matches they had from 1995-1997.

3) Kevin Nash was never a good wrestler, he just wrestled opponents who were good wrestlers. Sting, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker were good wrestlers.
Julius C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Noob

smiley$$$$$ is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with you as far as him being able to still put on a 3 star match at his age. But look at the facts. People are getting sick of seeing him wrestle and much rather see him stay in just a managerial role instead! I personally like Ric Flair! He's one of the best of all time, a true legend. But on behalf of myself and many other Flair fans on here, we just would hate for the guy to let his ego overrun him and he winds up seriously hurt and put in a wheelchair as a cripple for the rest of his life. I know he can still take some bumps, but when is enough going to be enough? But in all seriousness I like the fact that he is still trying to be apart of the sport and still producing an impact. Just would hate to see the guy get seriously injured during a match just trying to keep up with a younger healthier wrestler.
smiley$$$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Ell@ is on a distinguished road

Well, we are not so called wrestling fans, we ARE wrestling fans. (At least that's what I think for the other people who answered...). And no, I don't think I'm the one that should tell, or just say that a Superstar shoul retire. For example, Taker! He's still my favorite WWE star, and if you ask me (and I believe everyone else), he's a guy in 43's but he still shines. Well, maybe not like before, but he most definitely can keep the reputation of a phenom...

You can say the same for the Michaels, as well. It's not what we say, it's just the ages. A guy that's 50, or a guy that's 30. It's obviously, but the legends are the one with 50... They were wrestling whole their lives, and became legends. Besides, it's about them if they're gonna retire or not. It's about how they feel; ready for more, or ready to retire...
Ell@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jobber

LET ME TELL YA SOMETHIN BROTHER is on a distinguished road

I think Flair should just stay as a manager to Fortune as he is, but he needs to back off a bit. Seems like any time they are in the ring, Flair is on the mic. I would much rather see the future of TNA get on the stick and build up themselves, I mean besides BMI and Styles I dont think the rest of Fortune has even talked since the group formed. I will admit I think he did a good job putting over Lethal, but lets be honest, Flair is old, like really old for an active wrestler, he doesnt have many years left so why spend time putting him in the ring and cutting promos when you got guys in TNA in there 20s who will be there for decades to come, that could use that time to build up themselves, and TNA in the process? Flair has huge draw power and his presence alone exudes that onto TNA and Fortune, he doesnt NEED to wrestle or be the frontman. I know and understand that Flair doesnt want to quit wrestling, but this is for the next generation, this is for TNA, and for that, Flair needs to back off.

Are Flair, Hogan, Nash, Sting, EV2, Foley and Jarrett great entertainers? Absolutly, but TNA is on the rise and is building a future, and you cant do that when you have guys on their last leg taking up half the show with promos or matches. Legends are good to have, but you dont want to over expose them. Taker is a good example of that as he only works 3 months a year. He comes in an puts over other guys, has his famous streak match which everyone wants to see to find out if anyone will beat the legendary Taker at Mania, and is gone after that. Its a good way to keep him as a big name and not wear out his welcome. TNA needs to think of these things when booking a show and making hires.
LET ME TELL YA SOMETHIN BROTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jobber

The Dragon (semi-retired) is on a distinguished road

I'm not going to assess each old wrestler and judge whether or not he should retire; you didn't ask that.

To answer the question you did ask: because most of the users here are teenagers and being a former teenager myself I know there is an unwritten law that states that anybody over the age of 40 is old, washed up, useless, and needs to retire to give somebody younger a chance. Yep, that law was in existence back in the 70's. And if it was in effect in the 70's (and now) you know it's been around much longer than that and it pertains to other sports, too, not just pro wrestling. It's just youth valuing youth over talent and experience, and is nothing new.

There is a built-in bias among teenagers that says anybody over the age of 40 can't possibly be any good (at sports, at least), and that anybody over the age of 40 is washed up and should retire. We see that quite regularly in this section as users ask should so-and-so retire? about wrestlers age 40+. They don't do that for wrestlers under age 40, regardless of their talents (or lack of).

It's just age discrimination among teenagers. To them, anybody over the age of 40 is washed up and in the way. It doesn't have anything to do with suddenly missing (or lost) talent or skills, that's just an excuse they use to justify their prejudice against age. And it's unique to the U.S., especially with WWE fans. You don't see Japanese or Mexican fans disrespecting and/or bashing THEIR wrestlers age 40+.
The Dragon (semi-retired) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Misshildy is on a distinguished road

I am not a so called wrestling fan! I am a wrestling fan. But I must agree no one has the right to tell someone when it is time to retire. It is a wrestlers personal choice. If he/she thinks they can still go then leave them alone they have the right to earn a living too. Kevin Nash has always been one of my favorites he may have some health issues but I would be willing to bet he could still handle these people who say he should retire.
Misshildy is offline   Reply With Quote