ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Is there any Pro Wrestling cultural traditions outside of the U.S. that could be incorporated...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2010, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Samoan Roots  KoW?KRS is on a distinguished road
Default Is there any Pro Wrestling cultural traditions outside of the U.S. that could be incorporated...

...into WWE or TNA? I'm pretty sure there are different traditions in Pro Wrestling outside of the United States, so I was wondering if any of those traditions could be incorporated into promotions (mainly WWE and TNA) in the U.S. If there are traditions being used in both promotions, what are they and could there be more usage of those traditions?

BQ: Of all the (cultural) traditions in Pro Wrestling all over the world, which do you find the most interesting?

All brief and detailed answers are helpful and appreciated.
Samoan Roots  KoW?KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Young Noob

Random Username is on a distinguished road

Better wrestling skills and believable storylines for a start...........
Random Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2010, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jobber

The Dragon (semi-retired) is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by cultural traditions other than something unique to, say, Mexican promotions we don't see in American promotions.

An example could be: While I don't think it has anything to do with being Mexican, something they do that American promotions don't is...I'll describe it. A title match (doesn't have to be a World Title, it can be any title). The Champ and the Challenger face each other with the ref between them holding the center part of the belt, and the two wrestlers hold on to the belt parts, stressing the importance of the title and the fact that it IS a title match. The belt is then taken to the back and the match ensues. Once the match is concluded and a winner decided, the promoter (or other authority figure such as their equivalent of our GMs) comes out and PRESENTS the title belt to the winner of the match, selling the production of the winner receiving a very valuable prize. Their shows are as much works as our's are, but their title belts are sacred. They aren't tossed into a corner at the start of a match, used as props or weapons, or slung sloppily over somebody's shoulder. The Mexican promotions treat their championships as real and meaningful and their title belts are treated with much dignity and respect. Vince and Hogan could learn a lot about treating championships with respect and dignity from AAA and CMLL, instead of just using them as obvious props to sell T-shirts.

Another thing that seems to be unique to Mexican promotions: ring girls. Not just the girl holding the big card with the round number on it, I mean they line the aisle to the ring with several pretty girls in flashy outfits. They don't detract or distract from the wrestlers' entrances, they enhance them the way the cheerleaders lining the entrance way to the field enhances the football teams appearances, giving it more glamor and pizazz. And it adds a bit of sex appeal to the proceedings. I'm actually kind of surprised Vince isn't already doing this. He should. The ring girls in AAA and CMLL are very popular. And it would give Vince a few more sources for merchandising.

I'm not very familiar with Japanese promotions (the odd match on youtube isn't conducive to learning what their promotions are all about) so I can comment about them.

BQ: The way Mexican promotions treat their championships (ALL of them) as I described above. I can still remember NWA World Title matches with that level of respect shown to the World Title by the promotion, the wrestlers, and the referees, but it's been missing from American promotions for a long time.
The Dragon (semi-retired) is offline   Reply With Quote