ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Do The Wrestlers Have Any Say In Creating Their Gimmick / On-Stage Persona?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2010, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
jim
Jobber

jim is on a distinguished road
Default Do The Wrestlers Have Any Say In Creating Their Gimmick / On-Stage Persona?

I was just wondering if the federation creates everything regarding the character of the wrestler and they find who they think is best to act it out?

Or do the wrestlers themselves control their own gimmicks?
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2010, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Noob

Y2Jericho is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Y2Jericho

nope usually, the creative team and vince come up with the gimmicks, i don't think they have any say in it
Old 12 Aug 2010, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Jeffrey is on a distinguished road

i know they used to i read in a autobiography of stsa but i'm just not sure anymore
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2010, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

CinCiSwag513 is on a distinguished road

I dont think they do anymore, but I know Undertaker chose to go from the purple gloves and boots to the Lord of Darkness attire.

Answer Mine:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1175302AAcnQr4
CinCiSwag513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2010, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jobber

Big Mike Simply Flawless (N-6) is on a distinguished road

The creative team and Vince come up with it for the most part. I would assume that they can come up with some minor tweaks. Like someone else said Undertaker made the decision to lose the purple from his attire. But for the most part no not anymore they used to be able to though.
Big Mike Simply Flawless (N-6) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2010, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Noob

Random Username is on a distinguished road

Not when u work for Mr. McMahon
Random Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2010, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Noob

The best at what I do is on a distinguished road

The main event superstar's like Randy Orton, HHH, Taker etc having a say in their gimmick and storylines. But mid-carders and diva's don't.
The best at what I do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2010, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

simple_person is on a distinguished road

The giimmicks are usually created based on a fect of the wrestler's own personality so taht the wrestler is able to act it out easily.

Usually, the wrestlers talk with the writers and give them feedback from their point of view about how the gimmick should go but the writers and Vince have the final say.

In the past some wrestlers had more leeway and could give suggestions how to tweak the gimmick. However, nowadays I don't think the younger guys get that opportunity.

One of the big differences is that I think in the past, almost the entire roster understood the business and appreciated it. They knew what their role was and what needed to be done.

Nowadays, mostly only the verterans understand and they are trying to impart that wisdom to the younger guys. This is why nowadays mostly only the veterans get to really give input on their characters.

Storyline wise I think the wrestlers still get to give suggestions but again the final say is the writers' and Vince's.

It is interesting to note:

The Stone Cold Steve Austin gimmick was mainly Steve Austin's own idea (read his autobiography)

The Matt Hardy V1 gimmick was Matt's own idea. (read his interview about it)

Guys like Undertaker, Triple-H, Kurt Angle, Mick Foley all had says in how their gimmick should go. Mick himself also pitched several storyline ideas.

Taker had a huge say recently on how the switch from Big Evil to Undead Undertaker should go and what costume to use.

Sting had a say in his gimmick changing

Hogan, Nash and Hall basically controlled their nWo gimmick...

While Cena's rapper gimmick was mainly Stephanie's idea, Cena was given the chance to run with it and expand it and he certainly did.

JBL's gimmick was partially his idea. He thought up the entrance and the name based on what he felt would make him the best heel possible. (read the interview)
simple_person is offline   Reply With Quote