ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

What subject should i major in if i want to run my own pro wrestling business?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2010, 02:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Kozone is on a distinguished road
Default What subject should i major in if i want to run my own pro wrestling business?

ive always been a fan of wrestling, and i want to pursue a career in it

what should my college major be?
Kozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jobber

4:20 BURNING? is on a distinguished road

business and marketing
4:20 BURNING? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 03:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jobber

Elation is on a distinguished road

Ask your counselor, not us or better ask two counselors from your school and one from the school you want to transfer. You also may want to revise your thoughts again because business can really get difficult especially in microeconomics class. Being a wrestling fan is not enough to get into wrestling business, you must be 110% dedicated to your studies as well.
Elation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Esabel is on a distinguished road

sports, buissness and marketing. i said sports because you should practise what you preech, Vince McMahon did, Hulk Hogan did, and many others who manage or own wrestling companies have done the sport, which i think is a must if you want to understand it better.
Esabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 03:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

kels is on a distinguished road

business/marketing, definitely. Just be careful, since that's gotta be wicked hard to get into xD
kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 03:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Rassling Fundamentals is on a distinguished road

Well let's see there is Business Management, Sociology, Finance, Marketing, English

THE LOGIC BEHIND IT IS: you have to know how to tell a good story, know who your audience is, and keep track of your money.....but just like all careers you have to start at the bottom like say a ref or ring setup guy to understand how the business really works before you waste you life savings on a venture that will not make any profit.
Rassling Fundamentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 03:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jobber

Danny is on a distinguished road

running a wrestling company is hard. u really don't need schooling. just make sure ur not getting yarders and know who draws well in the area. attend local shows to scout and make sure there legit.

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 03:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jobber

deerhunter20068 is on a distinguished road

Money managment is extremly important take ECW's own Paul Heyman for example.he couldn't handle money and that led to people not being paid and eventually led to them being bought out by Vince.if you are wanting to participate then a good acting class wouldn't hurt as you need to beable to sell your emotions.Get some wrestling and perhaps strength training so you will look legit.you need people skills.Since you are selling to the public you need to beable to deal with people hatin on you just like all promotions get from time to time.
deerhunter20068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 03:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jobber

Sharkboy15 is on a distinguished road

Just make a lot of money and you start your own promotion. Try to get promoters and sponsers to hel you out.

A degree has nothing to do with setting up a wrestling company. You think guys like Paul Heyman have a degree?

Also you need to get approval from your country's wrestling association to sanction events
Sharkboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 03:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

fjord83 is on a distinguished road

Take it from someone who's been there and done it. First and fore-most, business, then business ethics. Another important one would be some from of drama/acting class maybe even literature. The biggest aspect of that industry is that you need to keep EVERYONE (not just the fans but your workers as well), happy. Danny is also right, every wrestler you hire MUST be trained. Don't bring in your friends just because they want to see what it's like. The fans will pick up on it right away and you'll lose them. Not to mention the danger of injury associated with it. Hire those that know what they're doing. Finally, don't let anyone walk all over you and act like a prima-donna Your show, your card, you call the shots.
fjord83 is offline   Reply With Quote