ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

So what exactly is the reason why Ricky Steamboat left WWF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2010, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Rassling Fundamentals is on a distinguished road
Default So what exactly is the reason why Ricky Steamboat left WWF?

During the feature of the new dvd he comments as to how everybody seemed to loved his match from Wrestlemania 3. And since it got such an acclaim response from all the important people....you would think that it would lead to a main event spot and perhaps a World Title reign. Steamboat goes on to say that he wanted some time off for family reasons.....so did he get fired/quit for asking for a vacation when he was the hottest baby face in the promotion or did he try to use the WM3 match as leverage to get a main event spot and Vince just replied with YOU'RE FIRED!

....at Wrestlemania 4 the World Title went to Randy Savage....his opponent from Wrestlemania 3.
Rassling Fundamentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Young Noob

martin_rulz6 is on a distinguished road

It basically went how you said it, from what I have heard. Steamboat wanted to have some time off, Vince would have none of it, and eventually fired him because of it.
martin_rulz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Misshildy is on a distinguished road

I do not believe The Dragon was fired. I know he was in WCW for awhile. I really don't think he was ever fired.
Misshildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Lady Jane - A Peep On The Edge is on a distinguished road

He wasn't fired he retired, i think after realizing that he probably wasn't going to be given any more pushes. Vince really had the $hits with him for daring to take time off so he could be there when his wife gave birth. They wanted to give him a long reign as IC champ, but Ricky chose his family over that. He has said before that he thinks he was also punished for having a better match then Hogan, Andre at WM3. He did return in 91, but i don't know why he quit then.
Lady Jane - A Peep On The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jobber

The Dragon (semi-retired) is on a distinguished road

Steamboat didn't stick around the WWF very long after Wrestlemania 3, despite having what a lot of people consider the best Wrestlemania match in history, and his growing popularity, for basically one reason: Hulk Hogan.

Vince revolved the WWF around Hogan and NO face (not even Andre The Giant), despite his popularity, was going to get pushed over Hogan. Hogan was The Champ and nothing was going to change that (a face Champ, I mean)...except for Hogan himself deciding to step down. Savage may have been getting some cheers, but he wasn't a face.

So Steamboat headed off to Crockett's territory, engaged in some of the greatest wrestling matches in history with Ric Flair, and finally got the World Title he so richly deserved.

When he returned to the WWF years later, it was not as Ricky Steamboat, former NWA World Champ; he returned as the cartoon character The Dragon, complete with costume and fire-breathing gimmick. A lot of people feel that gimmick was given to Steamboat by Vince as punishment for leaving the WWF, winning the NWA World Title, then coming back to the WWF (how many times have we seen that? A wrestler leaves Vince, has great success elsewhere, then gets punished when he returns to Vince.).

Steamboat, still in his prime, retired for good because of a back injury.
The Dragon (semi-retired) is offline   Reply With Quote