ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Are Wrestlers Told To Act As Their Characters Whenever They Interact With Fans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2010, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
jim
Jobber

jim is on a distinguished road
Default Are Wrestlers Told To Act As Their Characters Whenever They Interact With Fans?

I was just wondering on this...

Like whenever a wrestler does a convention appearance, movie/book signing event, or any other sort of public event; are they supposed to act in character throughout the thing?
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Noob

Ryan M=Cena Hater for life is on a distinguished road

No
Ryan M=Cena Hater for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Noob

|Y|onkers |R|oyal |V|iper is on a distinguished road

No, I don't believe so. There are some wrestlers who are naturally their heel character in person, such as Batista, who is a dickhole. Most Wrestlers are pretty nice people.
|Y|onkers |R|oyal |V|iper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Noob

Jericho222 is on a distinguished road

No! They are suppost to do their moves the way it is told. But no they cheer up the crowd by their self.They are really nice in real-life. Like for example The Miz is a very nice person in real life. thats just his act he dows on his script..
Jericho222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Animalistic-Viper LP23: Orton360 is on a distinguished road

No
Animalistic-Viper LP23: Orton360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Noob

midnight71 is on a distinguished road

I don't think they do,but Stu Hart used to ask his wrestlers too.
midnight71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Noob

midnight71 is on a distinguished road

I don't think they do,but Stu Hart used to ask his wrestlers too.
midnight71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

? VIPER ? is on a distinguished road

I don't think so.

I met Chris Jericho last November. He was very nice to all the fans, addressed the crowd and made some jokes, was overall a really great guy.

Carlito was a heel when I met him at Axxess and he was nice to me. I got his autograph and a picture with him.

I don't think they do. It would be kind of messed up if a kid went up to Y2J for an autograph, and Jericho refuses because he believes that kid doesn't deserve an autograph from the best in the world at what they do.

Or if a dude with a beer in his hand meeting CM Punk. He wouldn't say no to giving an autograph to the guy because the dude isn't Straight Edge.

However, the way Batista's character was before he quit, is very similar to what he's like in real life. He actually made a little kid fan of his cry about 2 years ago because he just signed the autograph, didn't look at the kid, didn't shake his hand, and just tossed the autographed picture to the side.

One of the many reasons I hate Batista.

I don't hate him because he's a heel. I hate him because he's an a**hole to the fans, is unappreciative, unpassionate, and is a fame-hungry/money-hungry f*ck.
? VIPER ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Booyaka 619 is on a distinguished road

no not really
Booyaka 619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Microwave is on a distinguished road

If a wrestler is paid to do an appearance, a great deal of time they will be in character (at least to a degree). Kane, when masked, was a classic example of this. Glen Jacobs promoted the character to a T, but when he was unmasked an had regular interaction with fans who knew what he looked like, he became more of a regular person.

If a worker is paid to say, go on a morning zoo radio program and promote, they will be in character, but only if what they are plugging has something to do with their character. When Roddy Piper was doing the press junket for the movie, They Live, Roderick Toombs was just a regular actor.

As for the gimmicks, please keep in mind that usually the best gimmick is the one that is a small extension of the individual, just blown way out of proportion. Those character traits still exist in the person, but no so much as you see on TV. Steve Austin is a redneck, Dwayne Johnson can be brash, the Undertaker can be a bit isolated, and Chris Jericho is one of the wittiest men alive. All of the guys are good people, but they are people, just like everyone else.
Microwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Cody92 is on a distinguished road

Not anymore. Back in the days of Hogan, the NWA, the AWA, etc. they were told to stay in character to keep up kayfabe but nowadays with the Internet, fans know that their characters are nothing like their actual personality so they can act like a regular person, unless they are actually a major a******.
Cody92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Mnemosyne is on a distinguished road

It's more a wrestler thing in general. From the way I understand it, wrestlers like to keep the fans in the fantasy. Behaving as themselves around people who expect the character would kind of ruin it. That and I think it's an ego thing. Not to say it in a negative way. But the wrestlers I know, and those who train me seem to be very proud of the characters they've created even introducing themselves to others in the biz as those characters.

I can't really speak for them but this is what I've perceived in my experiences so far.

xat.com
Mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote