ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Does the Information Age (e.g. Internet) Kill the quality of pro wrestling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Feb 2010, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Chico Santana Loves Tacos is on a distinguished road
Default Does the Information Age (e.g. Internet) Kill the quality of pro wrestling?

I was having a Debate with my sister about pro wrestling and the internet.

I was telling her that Wrestling isn't what it used to be because of all these new spoiler sties and Journalists who snoop into pro wrestling.

Growing up The internet wasn;t as common as it is today. Wrestlers never broke kayfabe and stayed in Gimmicks outside the ring.

I just hate it now days that people try to spoil it for me.

I don't want to know whats going to happen I just want to see a good match and be surprised at the outcome.
Chico Santana Loves Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 03:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Young Noob

Matt Hardy is BEST! is on a distinguished road

i call dem rumors....rumors r started by ass grabbers who start shit cuz dey have no life :P
Matt Hardy is BEST! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 03:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jobber

President Teleprompter is on a distinguished road

Im a long time wrestling fan. I was around before the internet and im around now. I think it has done both, it has helped and it has hurt wrestling.

Its easier now to find out what is going to go down, what is going to happen. For instance we all pretty much were able to figure out what would happen between HBK, Undertaker and Y2J thanks to all the wrestling websites. The thing to do if you are a wrestling fan and dont want to ruin or spoil the surprise of who and what is happening then its simple. Stay away from anything wrestling related on the net.
President Teleprompter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Young Noob

Geese is on a distinguished road

No, it did not kill pro wrestling because spoiler sites or scoop sites are unreliable, inaccurate, and rarely, if ever, get their predictions correct. Anyone can open up a website with the latest scoop and prediction of what is going to happen on RAW. That part is easy. The hard part is whether the latest scoop or prediction is actually true.
Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Niko is on a distinguished road

in away it does but people choose to read it
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jobber

The Greatest Man That Ever Lived is on a distinguished road

Those Journalists that snoop into wrestling were around long before the internet, because they released their stuff in paper format and advertised it in popular wrestling mags such as PWI, so to be honest, you can't really blame the Internet for The Wrestling Observer as it was technically around since about 1990.

However I do agree with you on spoiler sites. That's why I don't read them, but even shows like RAW which are Live are ruined because of predictability, something you can't blame the spoiler sites for since there is no actual way to do spoilers for RAW.
The Greatest Man That Ever Lived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 03:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Miss Paparazzi Lets Go Team USA! is on a distinguished road

Most definitely!

On the internet, like you mentioned there are always 'spoilers'. Spoilers are probably the worst thing IMO. It takes away the excitement factor, and whenever I see one, I'm so tempted to click it. But I normally stay away from them.

I really hate spoilers, I don't think that it does anything good for professional wrestling. And, I've read and watched alot of interviews where some wrestlers say they hate the IWC and 'spoilers'. The only time that they come in handy is when they announce releases, or they recap matches. I like when spoiler websites announce releases of superstars, because WWE hides their release statements so far buried, that I can never find them. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like they're ashamed to write them. As for the recap of matches, I like that. I never will buy a WWE PPV for the foreseeable future, considering I don't want to waste my money on a crappy PPV like WWE's. So, either I watch online which get's really annoying. Or I'll read the recaps, or check up on the play by play.

Getting back to the IWC. I think that while having websites like Y!A is great, and it lets you discuss with people from all over the world. But, people are always criticizing every single thing. Literally... every single detail. That get's really annoying, and I always wonder Why can't people just sit back and watch. People are so amped up and their too busy critiquing every fine detail that they forget why they even started watching wrestling. And that was because it is entertaining, and it provides a common topic.

I agree, I like to be surprised. And it does get annoying when these websites, and even people on here are spoiling the fun. That's great for them that they know what's going to happen, but the majority of us just want to, as you mentioned, be surprised.
Miss Paparazzi Lets Go Team USA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 03:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jobber

Im Not Here (The Colony) is on a distinguished road

Heres the thing if you dont want to be spoiled guess what don't go to the sites where there are spoilers you can control what information you take in. And the quality of the product is not affected in the least bit by the internet since the wrestlers still have to perform in the ring which isnt connected to the internet at all. If anything for me the internet has helped with the quality of wrestling since it enables me to watch other wrestling promotions not named WWE or TNA. I can watch matches from ROH and PWG and Chikara because their stuff isnt on TV(not counting HDNET which is a channel most dont have anyway). I can also watch foreign promotions like NOAH and Dragongate. So the internet has helped with the intake of quality wrestling I actually watch not made it worse. Just stay away from the people who spoil it or warn them you want to find out what happens during the actual show its that simple.
Im Not Here (The Colony) is offline   Reply With Quote