ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

why did HBK quit wrestling in late 1990s, does he have beef with the rock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2014, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Gerald is on a distinguished road
Default why did HBK quit wrestling in late 1990s, does he have beef with the rock?

i know it was something to do with him losing his smile or something stupid like that. but what really went on behind the scenes? did he not want to be apart of what WWE was becoming? he pretty much missed out on the "attitude era". one of the most exciting times in wrestling.

i've also noticed he's never wrestled with the rock, and the time he left was when the rock was becoming a star, then HBK came back in 2002 when rock was getting ready to leave. i've read there was some disdain between HBK and the rock, but more on HBK's part.
Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

T R E Y is on a distinguished road

I think it was because of the back injury.

The Rock said he was never interested in a match with Michaels.
T R E Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jobber

Candle Botches Internet is on a distinguished road

Shawn left once for back injury, and once because he wasn't getting his way. I assume it was because he realized that he was becoming ultimately what he made Bret Hart, and that was yesterday's news.

I don't think HBK has any direct hostility toward the Rock, and if he did, he was awful quiet about it. Usually when Shawn hated you in the '90's, he'd let you know. And it's not like they didn't cohabitate a roster together. DX directly warred with Nation of Domination when Rock was a part of it, so I don't think Shawn was dodging The Rock by any means. When asked about it, both have said timing and a lack of interest in one another was a big factor in them never really squaring off.
Candle Botches Internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Michelle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Michelle

He was injured.

Shawn Michaels said it himself that The Rock wasn't interested in working with him. Lots of people disliked Shawn in the 90s....but that isn't why he left. He left due to back injuries.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Noob

Clobberin_ Time! is on a distinguished road

Because Undertaker threw him back-first on a casket at Royal Rumble 1998
Clobberin_ Time! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

davehytmen is on a distinguished road

ALL OF YOU ARE WEIRD AS FUCK
davehytmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Heavyweight

__Jim Crockett Promotions Fan__ is on a distinguished road

Injuries accumulated from being a Professional Wrestler since he was a Teenager. Neck, back, spinal, leg, knee injuries add up. Shawn needed surgery, rehab and time off and he took them. Professional Wrestlers are Human Beings not Cartoon Characters.
__Jim Crockett Promotions Fan__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

The Legenday Hart is on a distinguished road

He injured his back in the casket match in 1998.

The Rock knew what HBK was all about. He had no interest in working with HBK because of his reputation.
The Legenday Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jobber

Jose is on a distinguished road

He missed the Attitude Era because he got a serious back injury against Undertaker at Royal Rumble 1998 when Undertaker irish whipped him over the rope . I blame the Rock for not wanting to work with him.At the Hall of Fame induction in 2008 he said he wanted to work with him but nothing happened.it would have been great seeing him in the Attitude Era he could of had feuds with Jeff Hardy,American badass Undertaker,Dean Malenko and it would of been cool to see him in the Invasion feuding with DDP RVD & Booker T
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jobber

Chandler is on a distinguished road

Shawn Michaels was injured pretty seriously. I am pretty sure it was his back that kept him away from competing. He did not wrestle during the Attitude Era days much but he was Raw's GM and feuded with Austin for a while so he was included in Attitude Era a little. After the Montreal Screwjob and some other backstage issues, not a wwhole lot of people really liked HBK. I don't think that HBK hated The Rock or vice versa but I can see The Rock having a little beef from the whole Montreal Screwjob incident. When Austin and Michaels fought at WrestleMania, it is said that Undertaker had put on tape around his knuckles because he was prepared to beat up Shawn if he did another screwjob with Austin. I think the main reason why he was gone was due to injuries and not anyone having a real life feud with him. Could there be backstage issues between The Rock and HBK? Maybe but I doubt that is what kept Shawn away from competing.
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote