ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Have the crop of talent today in wrestling got better than those in the past during the 80's and...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2014, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Pistol Winchester is on a distinguished road
Default Have the crop of talent today in wrestling got better than those in the past during the 80's and...

...90's? We have the independent circuit going on today, while in the past they had the whole territories going on. I know today we're more different and innovative, but speaking on talent in the ring, charisma, personality, etc (basically everything there is to a wrestler), are the talents today better than those in the past or not? Why? Please explain.
Pistol Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2014, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Noob

Luke is on a distinguished road

No
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2014, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Heavyweight

__Jim Crockett Promotions Fan__ is on a distinguished road

No, The WWE destroyed The Wrestling Territory System that Wrestlers in The 1980's and 1990's used to hone their talents before they came to The WWWF/WWF/WWE. You had more time to learn how to be a Professional Wrestler and could move to another Proffessional Wreslting Promotion every few months. WWE has ti create their own stars and everyone learns on the fly.
__Jim Crockett Promotions Fan__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2014, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jobber

Candle Botches Internet is on a distinguished road

I'd say no simply on the fact that it's hard to judge the evolution of wrestling.

Very few matches from the 70's, 80's, and even early 90's compare to what's going on anywhere in wrestling right now when it comes to flash and fluidity. The sport's constantly evolving into something faster and less streamline. I've even found that watching early TNA X-Division matches by comparison to today's cruiserweight standard on the independents in places like Chikara and PWG can be a bit tedious and dated. Is it bad? No, it's just not likely to hold up when put against the spectrum of today's standards, and that was only 10 years ago.

On the same turn of the coin, I'm more likely to turn on a Steamboat/Flair match from the day I was born, or a Von Erichs/Freebirds donnybrook than watch some of this american strong styled inspired wrestling coming out of places like DGUSA, EVOLVE, or ROH, but by the same token I'd rather watch those promotions no-sell and chain wrestle than take in another episode of GWF on ESPN Classic.

And what that ultimately boils down to is preference more so than what's 'better'. Has wrestling grown since the 70's, 80's, 90's, or hell, even 2000's? Most definitely. In some instances it's getting better, in others it's watering down. There are so few talents out there today that are capable of putting together a cohesive tag match, or even a single's match that doesn't look like a bunch of spots thrown together. But on the other hand, guys like The Young Bucks, Colt Cabana, Ricochet, Adam Pearce, and a slew of Chikara talents put their predecessors to shame.
Candle Botches Internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2014, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Fair And Balanced is on a distinguished road

well if I may.....the people that went though Ring of Honor is the very last generation of talent that were groomed if you will outside of the WWE methodology. That being said it would be the people from say 2000-2010 if you want to have dates to pinpoint the era. This would include people like Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Chris Hero, Claudio/Cesaro, El Generico, American Wolves, Aj Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Chris Sabin, Austin Aries, Tyler Black, Brodie Lee, etc etc etc

now under the iron fist of HHH everybody will start to look like......Damian Sandow or Dolph Ziggler. Is this a good thing? I don't Know. But all I see is that Bray Wyatt is a 100% produced WWE talent and hey there is nothing to complain about him.
Fair And Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2014, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Matt Hooker is on a distinguished road

No for a number of reasons. One, all the territories are gone which means that

you can't jump from one promotion to another learning the trade. Two, in the

old days everyone looked different and had a unique gimmick. Too much of the

talent today all look cookie cutter and their names are stupid. Examples include

Dolph Ziggler, Bray Wyatt, Brodus Clay, Tensai, and many others. Three, I

could accept them more if so many moves weren't completely banned. Here is a

short list of some you can't do today: Piledriver, Superplex, Tombstone Piledriver,

Diving headbutt, bodyslam, Knee drop, Powerbomb, and many others. Four,

Some of them either don't have enough personality or can't cut a promo because

they aren't given freedom in the matter to choose the words they say. Five,Too

much of the talent today is recycling old gimmicks from the Past and passing them

off as their own. examples include Dolph Ziggler copying Billy Gunn, Bray Wyatt

copying Waylon Mercy an old character of Dan Spivey who left the WWF in 1995

after being powerbombed by Kevin Nash, Mick Foley's Mr Socko is Currently being

reused by Santino Marella as the Cobra,John Cena's Character is based on Hulk

Hogan. Six, Too many storylines from the past have constantly been re-introduced

as though the WWF/WWE thought of them first. They include the Invasion, which

was how Wade Barrett/Justin Gabriel/Darren Young/Ryback/Michael Tarver/and

two others made their debut in the summer of 2010, The Ladder Match which was

first done in the 70's by Dan Kroffat (Phil Lafon), The "respect" storyline from 02-03

which was first used by the Undertaker and later brought back for CM Punk who

called himself "Best in the World". The storyline about UT and kane fighting over

Paul Bearer was resurrected for two Heyman Guys to fight over him. That's about

all I can think of now but you get the point. This generation simply doesn't take itself

seriously or have a lot of the charisma and personality, it's barely registering at all

if any. The WWE wrestlers of today are kind of boring because they can't push the

envelope and there will never be another Ted Turner meaning a billionaire with the

amount of money he had who could run live TV shows every week and still get

high ratings to challenge the WWE again. As much as I like TNA, both the Carters

and Spike TV are shafting the company. If the company ever goes under, it will be

due to bad mis-management.

PS: Bray Wyatt used to Husky Harris of the Corre, and Dolph Ziggler used to be

Nicky from the Spirit Squad.
Matt Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2014, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Jay26 is on a distinguished road

not even close
Jay26 is offline   Reply With Quote