ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Professional Wrestling: Every match during the Golden Era was solid, HBK is mediocre, Thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2014, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Dave Hytmen is on a distinguished road
Default Professional Wrestling: Every match during the Golden Era was solid, HBK is mediocre, Thoughts?

This was an answer to a question about Golden Era Vs PG Era from the perspective of Attitude Era Fans,

"The Golden Era was the only era that every match, was a good match. They could go out there, and completely rip the house down due to a fifteen minute mat match. Now, people hate to watch wrestlers on mat, and believe Angle is the only pure mat wrestler of all time, which isn't the case. A lot of people are mat wrestlers, and we just don't know it. However, the Golden Era clearly focused on wrestling rather than entertainment.

PG is more of entertainment, but it has actual wrestling. At least better wrestling than the last ten years of the company.Shawn Michaels is a mediocre wrestler, amazing performer. Many people don't realize the difference between that.The Attitude era clearly focused on blood shed and beer swelling rather than wrestling."

Personally I don't think most of the people who talk about the Golden Era have even watched a lot of footage and simple remember Highlight Reels of matches because a lot of the matches in the Golden Era and previously in Professional Wrestling was rubbish to say the least. To say HBK was a mediocre wrestler is also insulting.
Dave Hytmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2014, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Demented Dwarf is on a distinguished road

I don't think every match was solid but it was good. It kept me entertained as a kid. And no I don't think HBK is mediocre. That dude is a legend.
Demented Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2014, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Blaster is on a distinguished road

WWE as far as in ring wrestling has never been better. Attitude Era focused too much on stories and vignettes and hardcore/gimmick matches. Golden age had too many big guys who couldnt wrestle. Now there are very few Great Khali types who cant wrestle at all but they were much more common then,.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2014, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Frosty [RAW] is on a distinguished road

You sir seem to take special notice of my answer.

I always welcome criticism. While its true that I wasn't even born during the "Golden Era" I personally feel that that is how wrestling SHOULD be. Sure its not your cup of tea but I think there's difference between WRESTLING and throwing fake punches and kicks for 10 minutes and ending it with a finisher. In this case I believe the Golden Era was THE best age of wrestling.

You're right though, if it was purely on "entertainment" factor the matches were rubbish. But again, to the people living in THAT era it was not rubbish. So really, its just a matter of opinions. As far as I know, Vince McMahon killed what is real wrestling and put his puppets with characters in a ring and hails it as "wrestling" to the rest of the world. Sorry, I don't want any of that crap.

Secondly HBK is one of my favourite wrestlers. Does he know how to wrestle? Sure. But Vince dubbed him as a "superstar", not a wrestler. He's athletic, no doubt, but as a pure wrestler he can't even hold a candle to say...guys like Kurt Angle when it comes to the business. Yeah HBK is a great performer, and you'd be surprised he's even in my top 5 of all time. But I'll stick to my opinions that Shawn is NOT a good wrestler, atleast not what WWE portrayed him as. Maybe its a fault with gimmick, but I'd say its just another wrestler Vince McMahon F'd up
Frosty [RAW] is offline   Reply With Quote