ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Do you hate PPVs that are named after matches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2013, 02:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jobber

TheRatedPGSuperstar is on a distinguished road
Default Do you hate PPVs that are named after matches?

For example PPVs like Hell in a Cell, Money in the Bank, Elimination Chamber and TLC. These types of matches should be fought in any other PPVs.

Should WWE bring back PPV names like Backlash, No Way Out, Unforgiven, Great American Bash, ect. What's next? Are they going replace the Night of Champions PPV with a PPV called Steel Cage?
TheRatedPGSuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2013, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Young Noob

I am the WITNESS is on a distinguished road

I hate you....
I am the WITNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2013, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Yo!!!!! is on a distinguished road

yeah they do take away from the match itself a bit. I think the WWE should have never got rid of King of the Ring myself as it was a good way to choose the #1 contender for Summerslam.

You have Royal Rumble that sets up for WM and King of the Ring was a good setup for SummerSlam but there was no setup for Survivor Series which is something they can work on.
Yo!!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2013, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Young Noob

Viva Enrique! is on a distinguished road

It depends. Like Royal Rumble has been around for a long time and I love the PPV. So it actually depends how the PPV plays out. The name doesn't matter in my opinion.
Viva Enrique! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2013, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

TJanssen411 is on a distinguished road

Keep in Mind 'Royal Rumble and Survivor Series' are Both PPVs named after match types as well so nothing is 100% bad... (as was WCW's War Games)

That said I think the Biggest issue with so many of them is that the Stipulation is shoe horned into the feud...

-- much of the Drama in the Bryan/Orton Feud is because HHH uses his Power to manipulate things in Orton's favor (or at least Not in Bryan's Favor), how is the Cell Going to stop HHH from 'interfering' when his impact is as much administrative, as physical

in the case of elimination chamber the biggest issue I have is simply that No Way Out still fits the theme and had worked for several years

Money in the Bank is iffy as in it's original format it typically Created feuds going forward, as well as marked mid card talent for future elevation, Punk winning a 2nd time, Cena winning, and now this year with a 'former Champions' only MitB all contributed to the Match type it losing it's luster and by extension cheapening the PPV value

and at the rate cage matches pop up on Raw/SD! there is no danger of it getting it's own PPV, mostly because steel cage loses some of its 'awe' when you have the Cell and the Chamber which take the 'confinement' and prevention of interference selling points and crank them to 11

another issue with Cell and TLC PPVs is that they exist alongside Extreme Rules in a PG era where none of them can be as Extreme as the audience was conditioned to expect them

also I personally Liked the Name Breaking Point, but the Submission only aspect felt like a forced attempt to rip off MMA... not to mention with Extreme Rules being a generic name I think using Breaking Point as the Name of a 'Extreme rules' type PPV would fit (weapons, bones, etc can all 'break'
TJanssen411 is offline   Reply With Quote