ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Was Shawn Michaels ever the top guy in WWF/E?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Cherokee is on a distinguished road
Default Was Shawn Michaels ever the top guy in WWF/E?

Seems like it went Sammartino,Backlund,Hogan,Hart,Austin,Rock,Cena
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Loves Natalie Portman

Tommy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Tommy

Well when he was in DX
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
kg f H wخlD

Mattitude is on a distinguished road

96-97
Mattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Michael is on a distinguished road

Yes Shawn was the top guy when WWE nearly went broke as they were up against Hulk and WCW.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Noob

Sarthak Nanda is on a distinguished road

yes in 1996 shawn was the top star in the company. he had the title & was defeatin almost every greats of the business. 1996-1998 could be considered his prime. let me tell every top star of the company-

1) bruno sammartino- i think the longest stint of being the top star belongs to him he was the top star from 1963-1971.

2) pedro morales- most underrated top star of all top stars. he was the first triple crown in the company. i call his top stint from 1971-1974(beginning).

3) bruno sammartino- his second stint was from 1971-1977. this stint was also classy. he controlled the promotion twice.

4) bob backlund- another top star. his stint was from 1977-1984. he was arguably the most talented wrestler of this television era.

5) hulk hogan- here comes the politician. yeah he was a politician but respect because if it wasn't for him none of us would be here discussing this business. his stint was from 1984-1987. i'm talking about the real stint.

6) randy savage- the shortest stint as the top star. 1988-1989. this period lasts less than 8 months but not negligable.

7) the ultimate warrior- after hogan & savage control warrior took some control as hogan was suspended. his stint was small too & i feel he is overrated. 1990-1992(beginning)

8) hulk hogan- time for second small stint. it was nice as he at least put over undertaker & yokozuna 1992-1993.

9) bret "the hitman" hart- the most watchable star of the new generation era. his every match was classy. 1993-1996(till wrestlemania 12 he also took the leadership for about 3 months in 1997).

10) diesel- a very short stint much like the macho man.(1994-1995).

11) shawn michaels- 1996-1997. after he vacated the title. he turned heel so, wasn't the face of the company but was the top star. bret was mostly absent in 1996 so he couldn't be called the top star of that time.

12) stone cold steve austin- the most profitable wrestler in the history. the top star of attitude era. 1998-2000.

13) the rock- another top star of attitude era. his stint was from 2000-2002.

14) brock lesnar- another top star emerged out of no where. he was the top star from 2002-2004.

15) the undertaker- i thought of mentioning his stints as the top star in the end but i'm forced to do it now. shocked to say that his stints are very small. he became the star for the first time in 1992 for about 8 months. he was classy in his feuds with the hot heel jake roberts & harvey wippleman a parody of paul heyman. then, he became another top star in 1997-1998 for a while when he had the strap & then he became the top star from 2004-2008 as the company's heart & soul he still plays his part amazingly.

16) john cena- he is still the top star from 2005. he is the one who i personally think can beat bruno's record.

all & all hbk was the top star in 1996.
Sarthak Nanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Chirag is on a distinguished road

Thanks to Sarthak ! Great information.
Chirag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jobber

andy is on a distinguished road

He was between hart and austin
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2013, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jobber

Candle (87%) is on a distinguished road

Hart was supposed to pass the torch to Bret, but I'm like you, I don't think there was definitively a time where Shawn was the face of the franchise. I think the injuries that have plagued him throughout his career kind of stopped him from taking the ball and running with it after Bret's exit in '97.

Now that doesn't mean that Shawn wasn't A top star. He was just never "the guy". I've always maintained that both Shawn and Trips were never all that successful outside of their time in DX when it came to being as bankable and well-received by the crowd as Austin, Rock, or Hogan.
Candle (87%) is offline   Reply With Quote