ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Why is Shawn Michaels nicknamed Mr. Wrestlemania?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2013, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Noob

The Voice of the Pointless is on a distinguished road
Default Why is Shawn Michaels nicknamed Mr. Wrestlemania?

Don't get me wrong he's one of my favorites of all time and a true living legend. But has he really done anything incredibly significant in WM? I can only think of 3 situations, his Iron Man match with Bret Hart (not even in my top 1000, 4/10), the zipline entrance and versus Taker at WM 25 and 26. If anyone should be called Mr. Wrestlemania, it should be the guy who has won 20 times in a row in it. Undertaker. But maybe it's something else. Feel free to answer!

@Dirt Devil 313: I loved the Iron Man match I was just referring to Bret Hart's shoot interview on HHH for a joke. It was definitely an amazing bout in my eyes.
The Voice of the Pointless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Shandango is on a distinguished road

I think it's weird that he's called that, I mean if anyone is Mr Wrestlemania surely it'd have to be Undertaker
Shandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jobber

CHUNG CHOGAN is on a distinguished road

He gave himself that name and never stopped using it.

You are right, he's not worthy of using such a name.
CHUNG CHOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Noob

Sandi is on a distinguished road

are you kidding me?, what are you 9? it's cause he's never lost a wrestlemaina untill he lost to undertaker and kurt angle
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Xtremenator1 is on a distinguished road

Nah Undertaker was booked to win 20 times in a row. Its what you do in the middle of that ring that matters. Shawn Michaels is Mr. Wrestlemania, because he always stole the show. No one was a better performer/ entertainer then HBK on the biggest stage in Wrestling. Sure 20-0 is impressive, but you don't deserve to be named Mr. Wrestlemania for that. I feel personally that if you perform the best and give your all to the fans, your Mr. Wrestlemania. Thats Shawn Michaels.
Xtremenator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Noob

Matt the Troll Hunter is on a distinguished road

Shawn Michaels is called Mr. WrestleMania because regardless of whether he won or lost, his match was always the one most talked about. Shawn was always the one that stole the show.
Matt the Troll Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Terise is on a distinguished road

I agree.The real Mr.Wrestlemania is Taker.
Terise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

The Great White Sheamus is on a distinguished road

It's because he won the WWE Champion at WM XII in 1996 in an Iron Man Match that went to sudden death against Bret "The Hitman" Hart. That was his first time winning the title like what Vince McMahon said when he was a commentator in that match "The Boyhood dream has come true".
The Great White Sheamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

emiral is on a distinguished road

I won't argue with anyone saying that Undertaker deserves the title.. Cause Undertaker does deserve the title.. Shawn is called Mr. WrestleMania cause of the quality of matches he has had at WrestleMania..

I've only watched every WrestleMania since WM 9 ans Shawn has stolen the show constantly.. Except for his match against Vince (which was pretty entertaining for what it was) he hasn't had many bad matches..

The Undertaker has had best or 2nd best show for past 6 years and with that combined with the streak it's hard to argue with The Undertaker being called Mr. WrestleMania..
emiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

dirt devil 313 is on a distinguished road

It's just a nickname he's had since the 90's, back then the streak wasn't AS impressive as it is now.

HOWEVER,you seriously think HBK hasn't done anything significant at WM? There is...

HBK vs. Bret Hart WM12 (How come you don't think this bout was good? It was amazing)

Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho WM19

Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle WM21

Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H vs. Chris Benoit WM20

Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena WM23

Shawn Michaels vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin WM 14

HBK vs. Undertaker at WM 25 & 26

So yes, he has done plenty of significant things at WM so Idk watchu talkin 'bout willis.

Like I said, the nickname was given to him in the 90's when the streak was like 5-0, I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over it. Both Undertaker and HBK are of Mr. Wrestlemania in my opinion.

EDIT: Ah, didn't catch that. Good one lol.
dirt devil 313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Fake rasslin fanatic is on a distinguished road

He's a braggadocio. He was only a mediocre action soap opera actor at his best.
Fake rasslin fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Feed Me S_mores! is on a distinguished road

It's because he is an amazing performer. Although Undertaker has the streak, he's been outperformed by Shawn Michaels in almost every Wrestlemania. Michaels can capitalize on this huge event and make an amazing performance that is often unforgettable.
Feed Me S_mores! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jobber

Kyle is on a distinguished road

@Sandi ur actually wrong on that account big time..he lost to Stone Cold in 1998 and had a count out loss to Tatanka in 1993..And lost to Diesel in 1995 to name 3 but with that said I wouldn't give the Hbk/Hart iron man match a 4/10 it was more like an 8/10..The reason why Taker isn't Mr.Wrestlemania is bc if u watch all of HBK's WM matches rather he wins or loses they are 5 star matches..Taker is undefeated at Mania but I'd say probably 4 of those 20 wins were 5 star which is why Michaels is "Mr Wrestlemania" his record isn't great but he's been in lots of high profile matches...Lets not forget the time at WM 22 when he was on the ladder and did the DX chop and elbow dropped McMahon who had a trashcan on his head through a table! That was pretty cool
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Young Noob

StealTheShow is on a distinguished road

I guess because he's the most entertaining performer in the business and at WrestleMania he elevates his game even further. If anyone should be called "Mr. WrestleMania" it should be Undertaker, he's won 20 times there and will son make it 21. Btw I'm not sure if you were referring to this or not but Taker hasn't appeared at 20 WrestleMania's in a row. He had his first match at WM VII, his second at WM VIII and his third at WM IX. He did not compete at WM X but he did show up the next year at WM XI to defeat King Kong Bundy.
StealTheShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Jobber

Barry is on a distinguished road

Because no matter whether or not he wins and loses, he always manages to put on a terrific performance at WrestleMania. His ladder match with Scott Hall, his Iron Man match with Bret Hart, his matches with Kurt Angle, Undertaker and Chris Jericho, he's always putting on a match of the year performance. His matches at WrestleMania X, XI, XII, XX, 21, 22, XXIV, XXV and XXVI have all won PWI's match of the year award, as well as X winning Wrestling Observer Newsletter's match of the year award. He's always putting on great matches, whereas Undertaker's had great matches and horrible matches.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote