ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

How did Dean Malenko reached no.1 on PWI 500 in 1997?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2012, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Blue Ant is on a distinguished road
Default How did Dean Malenko reached no.1 on PWI 500 in 1997?

Dean Malenko was ranked no.1 in PWI 500 by Pro Wrestling Illustrated in 1997 but the question is how did he reached no.1 when there was WWE had Attitude Era, WCW had nWo, New Japan, ECW and was ranked above Steve Austin and Jushin Liger and people like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels were not even in the top 10 in PWI 500 in 1997

I know people would answer that Malenko was a excellent technical wrestler i know that i know about his rivalry with Rey Misterio, Jr. or Chris Jericho in WCW i know Malenko was a excellent technical wrestler but wasnt excellent on the mic and reached no.1 in PWI 500 in 1997 when Steve Austin was highly popular if Malenko was picked no.1 due to being a excellent technical wrestler then how The Miz was picked no.1 in PWI 500 by Pro Wrestling Illustrated in 2011 and The Miz was ranked above people like Eddie Edwards and CM Punk who were better wrestlers then The Miz but The Miz is excellent on the mic

Malenko was picked due to being a excellent technician and The Miz was picked due to being excellent on the mic but then why did people like Steve Austin was not ranked no.1 despite being excellent on the mic or Eddie Edwards despite being excellent a wrestler

@The Rassling Critic. you still didnt answered the question properly obviously you didnt read what i wrote i already know about Dean Malenko rivalry with Rey Misterio, Jr. in WCW but the question was that about that if Malenko was picked no.1 due to his feud with Misterio, Jr. then how The Miz was picked no.1 in 2011 when The Miz is not a excellent technical wrestler. but obviously you dont read the whole question so you are not right this time
Blue Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2012, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jobber

????s is on a distinguished road

I was wondering that, it is horse sh!t
????s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2012, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Heavyweight

The Rassling Critic is on a distinguished road

Well like I told you last night before you deleted the question it was because of the Nitro matches Malenko had with Rey Mysterio Jr. There series of matches changed the business over night and made the Cruiserweight division legit.
The Rassling Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2012, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

steve is on a distinguished road

Pro Wrestling Illustrated has no credibility.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2012, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jobber

Candle (87%) is on a distinguished road

That year, PWI, for the first time (and last), graded on technical proficiency over popularity. And that's the weight of it, really. PWI, grading solely on wrestling ability, chose Malenko as the pound-for-pound best in the world. And honestly, it's hard to argue against when you take popularity out of the equation.

I think since, they've went back to popular census, rarely deviating the grading requirements from the tried and true method that the majority agree upon. That's why Punk's just recently become at the top of the ranks, and why guys like Richards and Edwards never will be again.
Candle (87%) is offline   Reply With Quote