ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Why is it always exciting to watch MITB winners cash in heel or face?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2012, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

Dkingz is on a distinguished road
Default Why is it always exciting to watch MITB winners cash in heel or face?

Why is it always exciting to watch MITB winners cash in heel or face?
Dkingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2012, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

odinscharge is on a distinguished road

Its great to see an unexpected title change. Especially from someone that hasn't had an opportunity before.

It also creates new tensions. Take Ziggler for instance. He is feuding with Cena but what would have happened if he had won it? Would Big Show and Sheamus have come after him? How would they interact with Cena?
odinscharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2012, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Noob

Clark W-Angel Buffy Chosen is on a distinguished road

I'm not so sure it is.

There's always going to be the enjoyment of pure shock value when a MITB winner sprints down the ring to cash in on a fallen champion. It's been done to death already but even when you're expecting, there's still that element of "oh man, we're going to have a new champion". I find that's exacerbated when a MITB winner becomes champion for the first time.

But after that initial "WOW" factor, I find the effect wears off quickly. With a few rare exceptions, all the Money in the Bank winners have been booked very similar to one another. The vast majority of them have been heels who tease a cash in several times before finally doing it. They almost always cash in on a highly popular hero champion who has gone through a war of a match. After winning the title they spend the next few weeks to months running away from the former champion they've "defeated" and then 30 or 40 days later, when the hero finally corners them into a fair fight, they lose the belt back to them. That's happened numerous times. Edge, Jack Swagger (although his was a bit different), Alberto Del Rio and The Miz all went through it (The Miz had a longer run though, to be fair). CM Punk's second MITB win fit that mold perfectly.

Fact is, it gets boring. It's a fairly bland and cookie-cutter storyline, so it takes someone with exceptional charisma to make it work. In my opinion, the only guy who has been truly successful at it is Edge, both times he cashed in (yes, Punk and the SES were great, but that was Jeff Hardy's time, at the peak of his popularity, and Punk kind of intruded on that. It killed the momentum).

I'm really hoping Dolph Ziggler does something new when he finally cashes in. I'd love for him to give the champion advance notice and win. Regardless of who he faces, that would entrench him pretty firmly as a big time hero. The crowds have been leaning heavily towards that direction with him anyways. He went through a war against Cena at TLC, and if that whole ridiculous AJ swerve hadn't happened, and Ziggler had still won, he would have emerged from that a total good guy.
Clark W-Angel Buffy Chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2012, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jobber

The Silent Rage is on a distinguished road

Becauseits shocking and ur happy for th superstar i guess?
The Silent Rage is offline   Reply With Quote