ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Wrestling:Should The Rock be known as 'The face of the attitude era'?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2012, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Ghazan is on a distinguished road
Default Wrestling:Should The Rock be known as 'The face of the attitude era'?

Stone cold had just one good fued in the 4 years...while the rock rose through the ranks from nation of domination to being the 'crown jewel' of the The Corporation..

1999 and 2000 were the two most important years in wwf's history and with stone cold in and out with neck problems..The Rock carried the company on his shoulders.

Do you agree?
Ghazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2012, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

pumpkin is on a distinguished road

i think he should he's a great wrestler and he is one of the best to me
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2012, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jobber

Dave is on a distinguished road

Yes
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2012, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
G-P
Fresh Noob

G-P is on a distinguished road

I don't agree personally. While I see what you mean about the rock rising through the ranks during the attitude era. and I agree that stone cold had that one single fued with vince

BUT

It was THE fued that defined the WWE and it continues to be the greatest storyline they've ever run. Plus stone cold was at the top all the way through the attitude era, which means he was the 'face' of the era from start to finish, whereas the rock could only be the face of the second half at most
G-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2012, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jobber

Kyle is on a distinguished road

I don't agree with some of this. He didn't just have one good feud. The yr long feud with Bret Hart involving a classic submission match where Austin never tapped to the sharpshooter and was bleeding horribly and passed out(played on the titantron for yrs)that was one of the best matches of all time! Austin/McMahon started in the summer of 97 and to me Austin was the guy who started the attitude era he was "The Ringmaster" Steve Austin clean shaven with blonde hair no gimmick managed by The Million Dollar Man and 6 months later transformed into Stone Cold and became arguably the most popular wrestler of all time. He was a star before The Rock and won his first World title before The Rock beating HBK at WM14. Now Austin gets surgery and is out for 9 months so they need a new top face. The Rock is a perfect guy for the job so what I do agree with is that he became the face of the company when he(Austin)left AND came back bc Rock won the title like 3 or 4 times between the time he left till when he got back. However,to me the guy who will be known as the face of the attitude era will be Stone Cold bc he was the original and he brought a new type of "Attitude" to the show and popularized the WWF right as the crowd started chanting "Rocky Sucks" so Rock became face of the company between 2000-2002 but from 1997-1999 it was Austin who was the face of the atttude era
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote