ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

10 points! Name 3 wrestlers that could perform some of the best promos in the wrestling business?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Noob

Tater Man is on a distinguished road
Default 10 points! Name 3 wrestlers that could perform some of the best promos in the wrestling business?

Name any three wrestlers from any era.Please provide your opinion, and what made their promos so great.

10 points for most accurate answer.

@Jim Crockett-Yeah, I remember as a kid watching all three of them, and you do make a valid point, I actually witnessed them in-ring and their profciency in verbalizing on the mic. I would also include Ric Flair too and Bret "The Hitman" Hart most just recognize them for their in-ring abilties, but on the microphone both were excellent.

@Darren-I don't think Jericho is in the top 3, but your perspective is accurate. I would definetly consider him one of those wrestler's who could cut the best promos though. I like the explanations and how people describe their likes and dislike whether I agree or not, it just seems more elaborate as an answer, but some like the ones you listed just speak for themselves.

@Elite One-I like your answers and you do provide good ones, but I'm going to disagree about Cena. I think Cena is horrible with promos unless you are a teenager and when he verbalizes he appeals to that type of audience, but I just find his promos stale and cheesy like his gimmick. I mean he really hasn't said anything innovative or captivating, and makes references to a lot of 80s sayings. THe best promo he cut was when he was mocking the orgional members of the NEXUS, and made fun of Darren Young and Heath Slater now that was a classic, but other than that I think his overrated status has a lot to do with people liking him as an overall wrestler.
Tater Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Christian R is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian R

Rock Hulk Hogan and John Cena
Christian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Darren is on a distinguished road

1 The Rock. #2 Stone Cold. #3 Y2J. If you're a fan then you won't need me to explain it.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Heavyweight

David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.David is a god damn rich cunt.

chris jericho,the rock,stondcold steve austin,loved the cockiness of all three,best 3 talkers period. punk & piper totally overrated & they both bore me,fan of piper though,wrestling fan for 21 years
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Heavyweight

__Jim Crockett Promotions Fan__ is on a distinguished road

It would be hard for me to limit it to 3, but if I had to pick all time, then I would say Ole Anderson, Dusty Rhodes and Jake The Snake Roberts. All 3 of them were masters in telling the backstory and storyline behind their actions and just draw you in.
__Jim Crockett Promotions Fan__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jobber

Elite One ? is on a distinguished road

It's really self explanitory

Rowdy Roddy Piper- Piper's pit, biggest loudmouth in his day. Hot Rod is the best to ever cut a promo in my opinion in the business.

John Cena- Cena can cut a promo in many ways. He is so versatile. He can cut a promo with his raps. He can cut a serious promo to his opponents. He can cut a funny promo to mock his opponents. He is the voice of reason in many views and no matter who loves or hates him, fans love to here his promos no matter how cheesy it can get at times.

SCSA- He has a different sense of humor from the Jericho's, The Rock's, and The Cena's. SCSA started the what chants which continues to this day in almost every heels promo. He set a trend to even today's promo. SCSA does his promos and the fans go nuts to here what he has to say. It doesn't matter who's side Austin is on, he will always cut the best of the best.
Elite One ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

AZABUB is on a distinguished road

The Rock The Undertaker Shawn Michael's

The Rock is the people's champion with the people's elbow

The Undertaker most feared phenom had no fear

The man that made DX The Show stopper shawn michaels

And you had apologies to

Hogan

Rattlesnake skin

HHH

Y2J

Mankind

Jeff Hardy
AZABUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jobber

Best in the world is on a distinguished road

Austin,Taker and Punk
Best in the world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jobber

P Hannon is on a distinguished road

Randy Savage, The Rock and Stone Cold
P Hannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jobber

Melita is on a distinguished road

Rock,cm punk,and stone cold steve austin.

Rock-he has one of the best promos in wwe.HE has great catch phrases that never get old.He is the biggest trash talker in WWE.He makes it interesting to watch.You dont really need an explanation...Its The Rock.

Stone cold steve austin-He is all about Attitute.He puts attitute in his promos and can back it up in the ring.I dont think many wrestlers do what he does.

And finally CM Punk-he is not afraid to say what others hav no balls to say.he speaks his mind.He brought some attitude to wwe.He gets people excited.

This is why these guys are where they are now.They were/are entertaining.It would we intresting to see them in the same ring.These guys are always entertaining and exciting to watch.They have the best promos.They get people cheering and standing on their feet.Theres many guys in wwe that can cut a great promo.Guys like Jericho,Ric Flair,Shawn Michaels,edge,sting,roddy piper.
Melita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Zoosh is on a distinguished road

Hollywood Hulk Hogan (NWO) - Simply was astonishingly talented with promos and mic skills in his time, Ultimately a big cool guy that can really get the heat going, But i loved the frigging hell out of him because one of his mic skills

JBL- Suprised this guy hasn't been mentioned, Guy can get some crazy heat on himself, look up a promo jbl did "in his own words" Was during his feud with the late great Eddy guerrero Also along with him appearing among the ECW fans.

Jake the Snake Roberts - No explanation... just god-like.

If your question could include more people i'd happily have put in, Cactus Jack (Look up his promos in his ECW days, not WWF days) And Undertaker (Ministry), Also with Macho man Randy Savage too (Loved his promo's ...intense shit)
Zoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Jeriel is on a distinguished road

The Rock because he's so funny and he can take ANYONE and cut a joke about them. Mic Foley because he is crazy and what he says just brings you in. He can disturbed Mankind or just daredevil cactus jack. Y2j from 1999-2005 he had the rockstar gimmick and was so funny. He always gets things popular culture and do a South Park spin on it.
Jeriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cruiserweight

richard is on a distinguished road

Positions one and two are easy choices. Position three. . . . .not so much.

Roddy Piper was (and remains) the best mic man in the history of the business. Whether working heel or face, whether allocated 30 seconds or 30 minutes he could keep you glued to your TV screen. He could make you laugh, he could annoy you, he could repulse you, he could make or break the career of another wrestler just by how HE talked about the guy.

It's said that people tuned into Wrestlemania 1 to see Hulk Hogan but that's only half true. People tuned into WM to see Hogan beat up Piper. He was THAT good.

Position two - Jake 'The Snake' Roberts.

Jake was unlike anybody who had gone before him. Pre-Jake promos (by imbeciles like Ultimate Warrior and almost everybody else) were of the screeching, often incoherent variety. Roberts' promos were slow, deliberate, lucid and often littered with intelligent historical and biblical references. He redefined promos and mic work more than anybody else before or since. Guys line Jericho, Punk, Undertaker, Triple H, Randy Orton and many others all took Roberts promo style.

Position 3 - too many candidates and too many reasons. Worthy choices: Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, Randy Savage, Steve Austin, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Brian Pillman, Paul Heyman, Mick Foley and many others for whom a strong case could be made.
richard is offline   Reply With Quote