ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

CM Punk -- Best in the World Blu-Ray Review?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2012, 05:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Young Noob

Clark W-Angel Buffy Chosen is on a distinguished road
Default CM Punk -- Best in the World Blu-Ray Review?

I just finished the Blu-Ray edition of CM Punk: Best in the World. I'd read some really positive reviews and decided to pick it up. I was expecting it to be good, but this was, by FAR, the best wrestling documentary I've ever seen. Just incredible.

At one hour and 49 minutes, the documentary portion is almost twice as long as the other DVD's the WWE has been producing for years, and every minute of it, every single moment, is interesting. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be riveting. The documentary is conducted almost entirely out of character and kayfabe, with extensive interviews with a number of the WWE writing staff, Joey Mercury, Paul Heyman, Colt Cabana, Zach Ryder, Chris Hero and a number of others. They go into incredible depth about Punk's career beyond the WWE, including spending a lot of time covering his ROH and smaller indy days.

They also break the mold of many WWE DVD's by heavily discussing how and why some of the major storylines Punk has been involved in were constructed. They talk about what the WWE typically does and and does not look for in prospective new talents. They also, for whatever it's worth, do not hold back on the swearing at all (it's rated TV-14). Punk also does not hesitate to unload on how certain people are pushed (he goes into detail with The Miz and Bobby Lashley).

The two most interesting parts I found were the insight into the Straight Edge Society and how Punk developed it, and his first World Heavyweight Championship reign after winning Money in the Bank at Wrestlemania 24. Him and Michael Hayes go into detail about why he never lost in defending the belt and how it was moved to another feud. Very good stuff. The famous promo he cut on RAW prior to MITB 2011 is including in full length, with zero censors.

I've found a number of times in past WWE DVD releases that the special features components aren't that great, but Punk's was excellent. They discuss how Punk put together his move set, injuries he's sustained, The Undertaker, Heyman's vision and backing of Punk (after watching this you will fully understand why CM Punk is a "Paul Heyman guy"), just about everything.

While I like Punk a lot, he isn't my favorite wrestler, and this is still the best WWE DVD I've seen. Blu-Ray makes it all the better (some of the audio enhancements are very impressive). If you're into gaining a new insight into some of the inner workings of the WWE and pro wrestling in general, you'll love this, I promise you.
Clark W-Angel Buffy Chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2012, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Equal rights for Blacks Brotha is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I think I'm going to buy it especially based upon this. How much is it though?!
Equal rights for Blacks Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2012, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Noob

Charles is on a distinguished road

i saw it aswell but cm punk really isnt the best in the world he needs more moment b4 he can claim it

saw it free from http://extrator
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2012, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Ryback is on a distinguished road

Feed me Punk. Welcome to The Food Chain.
Ryback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2012, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Noob

Avinash is on a distinguished road

The long awaited set begins with a short, slightly cheesy, package showing Punk prepare for his day.A descent start indeed!!

Moving on and hearing Punk re tell stories from his childhood hits hard,there CM Punk may have stated that he was born in a 'wrong family'.

The portion of the documentary devoted to Punk?s time in the independents is definitely one of the most interesting chapters of the main feature. Hearing Punk and Hero speak about a 2 out of 3 falls match they had with a ninety minute time limit is almost as surreal as seeing CM Punk Vs. Samoa Joe in a ROH ring on a WWE DVD. It really would have been amazing to see some of Punk?s ROH matches included in this set but the footage fills the void perfectly.

The portion of the documentary devoted to Punk?s time in the independents is definitely one of the most interesting chapters of the main feature. Hearing Punk and Hero speak about a 2 out of 3 falls match they had with a ninety minute time limit is almost as surreal as seeing CM Punk Vs. Samoa Joe in a ROH ring on a WWE DVD. It really would have been amazing to see some of Punk?s ROH matches included in this set but the footage fills the void perfectly.

THE MATCHES:

The matches featured in this DVD are also good.

The first match is:

CM Punk vs. Brent Albright ? OVW Championship ? Only match included from Punk?s time in WWE?s developmental system sees him go up against the former Gunner Scott, Brent Albright.

It goes on to:

Vs. John Morrison ? ECW Championship ? This was dubbed as CM Punk?s ?last chance? at the ECW Championship having spent the summer feuding with Morrison over the same championship. A fun main event that, despite its negative reaction, made me miss WWE?s reincarnation of ECW.

Vs. John Morrison Vs. Shelton Benjamin Vs. Carlito Vs. Chris Jericho Vs. MVP Vs. Mr. Kennedy ? Money In The Bank Ladder Match ? One of the very best MITB ladder matches taking place at Wrestlemania 24, didn?t expect Punk to win this one when I watched it live so the surprise just makes this match better.

I liked some of his recent matches,like:

Vs. Chris Jericho ? WWE Championship ? You can see the sheer joy in Punk?s face as he recalls this match during the Main Feature. He was content with walking into Wrestlemania 28 as WWE Champion and defending against Y2J, was he happy with the match order of the card? Maybe not but its still the best match from the best show of 2012.

Vs. Daniel Bryan ? WWE Championship ? When this match was announced for Over The Limit, I was genuinely excited to see these two tear it up and they didn?t disappoint. An instant classic and the best match of 2012 thus far. Nothing more to say.

It really is great to see CM Punk speaking so candidly on topics from both in and out of the ring. The documentary is often cut between his wrestling career and his real life hobbies and interests. While such a, to some, disruptive nature of a feature would usually be a negative, the cuts always keep your interest in both sides at a peak which makes it one of the best sets the WWE has ever released.

The extras and matches compliment the main feature well as they reflect on certain points raised both by Punk and those interviewed. It goes without question that the majority of the main feature focusses on CM Punk?s time with WWE but it is amazing to see how much time is actually devoted to Punk?s time on the independent circuit.

Please answer mine:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8021911AAAqZKn
Avinash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2012, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

????????????? is on a distinguished road

I think "The Rise and Fall of ECW" was a better documentary (since it was so emotional and it brought back a lot of memories for me), but the CM Punk DVD was the second best WWE documentary ever made. CM Punk isn't even my favorite wrestler, I just think the DVD was so well made that it deserves all of the positive reviews that it's had. I learned that CM Punk actually has a very similar philosophy of wrestling that I do, and I respect him a lot more as a person now that I know that.

The DVD is highly recommended for everyone, not just fans of CM Punk.
????????????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2012, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Heavyweight

The Dragon is on a distinguished road

I've been waffling over this one. Buy it or don't buy it. Despite my somewhat negative comments concerning the recent and on-going Punk persona/angles we see on TV, he is still one of the most unique and interesting performers in the entire business, and especially for being a WWE performer, most of whom are just generic cookie-cutter characters rolled off the WWE assembly line. Punk is not one of those. He doesn't look like a "sports entertainer", he doesn't act and talk like one, either, despite the cliched "I don't get no respect" angle they have him in now.

Punk has a storied history in the indies. I've seen his WWE stuff; I want to know about his indy work. He was in ROH before it was available to me. Same with his TNA stuff. I don't expect much, if any, mention of his time in TNA, but it's great that they include some of his ROH work on the DVD. Punk claims that the material on the DVD is HIS choice, that he was given "unprecedented control" over what got put on the DVD. From your description (and Avinash's, too) it sounds like that claim is true. This doesn't sound like a typical WWE "documentary" DVD at all. That's a good thing. It sounds like the WWE wanted to profile CM Punk and what made him the performer he is today, warts and all, not just the usual slickly-produced WWE candy bar for the masses. Glad to see Colt Cabana made it on the DVD, too.

I've been waffling on whether or not to buy it. Your review has convinced me it's worth the price and my time. I know it's not a "CM Punk: The Indy Years" collection, but there is enough of his early years to round out the WWE stuff to give insight into what made Phil Brooks "CM Punk". The matches on these DVDs are generally available on the internet but it's the interviews, discussions, and "backstage" stuff that compels us (well me, anyway) to buy these things. That's why I read wrestlers' autobiographies, to learn stuff they don't tell us on TV. That's why I read books by guys like Jerry Jarrett, Eric Bischoff, and JJ Dillon. To learn stuff they don't tell us on TV."CM Punk: Best In The World" is now on my shopping list.
The Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote