ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Do you think a feud is better when the 2 involved legitimately dislike each other ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2011, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jobber

Wiggy is on a distinguished road
Default Do you think a feud is better when the 2 involved legitimately dislike each other ?

Or do you think it's irrelevant?
Wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2011, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

ZephosPipeBomb is on a distinguished road

In most cases yes but theres always the time when the other breaks and beats the hell outta the other guy and it gets ugly which would be awesome so ya.
ZephosPipeBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2011, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jobber

Clark W-Shephard LOST is on a distinguished road

I don't know if I agree with that. I think it's different today.

For me, while I do admit to having an interest in the backstage workings of professional wrestling (I'm an avid reader of wrestling biographies), whether or not wrestlers like each when they feud with one another on-screen makes no interest to me. I'm not one of those fans who scours the internet desperately searching for spoilers and too see who has heat with who (in fact, I despise spoiler sites. All they are are fans, just like you and me, guessing and what is going to happen, the vast majority of the time, but fans on here swear by them. Personally, I don't get it).

I mean, looking back, the only time I can really say that a time when legitimate dislike between two wrestlers made a feud better was, of course, Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart back in 1996-1997. That however, was unique. It was SO intense and SO real that it was impossible to not see it boiling over on RAW each week. I've never bought into a feud or rivalry more than that one, and I must admit that a large part of that was because the on-screen hate they were conveying towards one another wasn't acting or performance in any way. You could really FEEL it.

But that's an isolated example. Beyond Shawn vs. Bret (if you don't have it, pick up the new DVD. It is probably the best DVD the WWE has ever produced. No joke) though, I've having a hard time thinking of another one. I mean, Batista and Booker T despised each other and according to both of them, came to blows. But that never poured over when they wrestled on Smackdown. I didn't feel it at all. The same goes for Melina. Stories have leaked for years that she had numerous on-going backstage problems with many, many different wrestlers, male and female, but I never got that sense watching her on-screen. It never added anything.

I think that on the whole, if the wrestlers in the ring are skilled enough, they should be able to get whatever feud they're developing over with the audience by what the fans see inside the ring or on the microphone. The truly talented stars, guys like John Cena, CM Punk, Triple H and The Undertaker, can all do that exceptionally well. I mean, to my knowledge there is no real heat between Cena and Punk, but they had the best feud of the year a few months ago. It felt personal and real in every sense of the word, but only because of what we saw in the ring. If it had come out that they disliked each other in real life, I don't think it would have spiced their battles up or anything. Their ability was more than enough.
Clark W-Shephard LOST is offline   Reply With Quote