ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

do you think if wCw was not sold to wwf do you think wCw would still be around today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2011, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Crazy Glenn is on a distinguished road
Default do you think if wCw was not sold to wwf do you think wCw would still be around today?

do you think if wCw was not sold to wwf do you think wCw would still be around today?
Crazy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2011, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

I Killed WCW is on a distinguished road

Yeah I think Bischoff would have taken it over at some point. No matter now though. WCW at the end is still a million times better than TNA.
I Killed WCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2011, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Noob

melBURN! is on a distinguished road

No, they were going bankrupt...
melBURN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2011, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Julius C is on a distinguished road

No, Time-Warner was bound and determined to get out of The Professional Wrestling Business and sold WCW for a fraction of what they could have gotten for it a year earlier. Anyone who read The Rise and Fall of WCW knows that there was an offer to buy WCW for $500,000,000 at one point. By the time Vince bought WCW, I think he only paid about $4,000,000,000 and got not only the copyrights and trademarks, but all those Jim Crockett Promotions, Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, NWA Matches and and WCW Matches that we get to watch on WWE Classics on Deamand every month. If WWF hadn't bought WCW, Time-Warner would have simply shut it down and taken the Tax Write Off. Time-Warner did pay on many of those huge personal service contracts they had with Wrestlers like Hulk Hogan, Lex Lugar, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Scott Steiner Bill Goldberg and Sting among others.
Julius C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2011, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jobber

123456kk is on a distinguished road

no
123456kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2011, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Chicago Knight is on a distinguished road

Yes.

Chris Jericho could have bought it and took it to Spike TV or Fox.
Chicago Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2011, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jobber

TheBooth is on a distinguished road

500 million? lol

The truth is it was the AOL merger with Time Warner that killed WCW. Ted Turner the acting Chairman of the board and majority share holder of Warner Brothers

(keep in mind Vince McMahon is also the chairman of the baord in the WWE and majority share holder)

The board at Time Warner wanted to merge with AOL. Ted Turner as chairman refused to ok the merger. So the board removed Ted Turner from power which all boards have the right to do even if your the majority share holder and they ok'd the merger with AOL and made Steve Case head of AOL the new Chairman. AOL wanted nothing to do with pro wrestling and as a jab at Ted Turner for trying to block the merger AOL\Time Warner sold off all of Turners favorite properties like WCW, the Atlanta Braves.

Eric Bischoff had a deal in place to buy WCW for 60 million dollars and that included ALL the top names as well. The deal fell through when TBS and TNT were told to pull wrestling from TV. When that happend Bischoff and his group of investors backed off and it became a two man race between Vince McMahon and The Jarretts. The Jarretts couldnt even come close to what AOL\TW wanted in return for WCW. Vince McMahon had a ace in the hole stemming from a earlier court case where as part of a settlement with WCW in the event that WCW is ever up for sale Vince McMahon has the right to match any offer for WCW. Due to AOL/TW pulling wrestling from TV Vince was able to purchase WCW for 7 million dollars.

Owning WCW and the video catalog is the crown jewel of Vince McMahon and the WWE. WCW aka Jim Crockett productions has been around longer than the WWE and the video library is much larger than the WWE's.
TheBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2011, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

I_m A Disrespectful Jeziz ! ! is on a distinguished road

No. Because Mujammed would do the child molester body slam.
I_m A Disrespectful Jeziz ! ! is offline   Reply With Quote