ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Chops....How do you feel about them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2006, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned By Super Moderators

Edge head is a jewel in the roughEdge head is a jewel in the roughEdge head is a jewel in the rough
Default Chops....How do you feel about them?

Ok,I just watched Kenta Kobashi vs Samoa Joe .And I feel the need to make this thread..so,I'd appreciate if you'd read it.

Over the years,we have all seen wrestlers throw their oppenent on the turnbuckle,and hit them chop after chop after chop after chop..etc.It's been made famous by Ric Flair(Who is considered the worst to do it by many),but it's been used by others as well.Such as Ricky the Dragon Steamboat,Kenta Kobashi,Shawn Michaels,and Chris Benoit.
Now,the main thing about the chops,is that it really hurts.It epotomizes the word "stiff".Just the sound along tells you how it feels.One shot can echo through a whole arena.You can actually see the wrestler's chest turn red.Sometimes,in rare cases,invoke blood as well.Now,as professional wrestlers..do they actually have to go through that pain?Is it mandatory?
Edge once described the feeling of those chops as "A knife cutting through your skin".If you go to Bret Hart's website,he states a dislike for chops as well.He says that they hurt,and it looks stupid.
So my other question is,do you find chops to look stupid?Does it add realism or excitement to the match,or does it make it look even more fake?Why would someone slap someone else's chest repeatly,when you can possibly knock them out with one punch?

My personal opinion on chops,is that it is overrated.Very overrated.Kenta Kobashi is regarded as one of,or the best wrestler ever.The wrestling observer has given him 8 five star matches.Which is more than 50% of them all.Yet,he does chops for about 80% of the match.Look at his 5 star match against samoa joe at ring of honor.He barely did anything aside from his chops.Joe's chest turned beat red,and part of it looked like scratches.Then Kenta hit his clothesline,and won.But where is the psychology involved with that?How does a chop really weaken someone down that much?Ric Flair does chops after chop,lock in the figure four,and win.& the chops have absoloutely nothing to do with seting up the figure four.I think chops should be used at a minimum.But not as a primary source of offence that guys like Kenta use.Wrestlers shouldn't have to endure such pain.Esspeccially for something stupid like chops.Which,to me...does nothing to excite.

Your thoughts on chops.
Edge head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

I like when Big Show chops someone.

Show: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

WHAM!
Old 12 Feb 2006, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC
Send a message via AIM to CK

me and you, in a ring.....I'm gonna chop the hell out of you.

Not only do they hurt like fuck....but they can knock the wind right out of you.
I guarantee, after I'm done choppin...you will beg me to go for the pin.

CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2006, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

I was getting tired of chops, most notably Benoit's, but here recently he seems to have turned up the notch on the intensity and strength of them. Previously, it seemed like he would just chop as much as possible, whereas now it seems like he'll add more power into them.

On a sidenote, did anyone see Benoit vs Regal a month or so ago? Benoit chopped Regal's forehead. Yes people, his forehead I was like, "" when he did that.

Oh yeah, getting back to chops, I guess if utilized properly and executed properly, they are awesome. But when I see HBK delivering weak ass chops, I'm just like "". Matter of fact, I think I'm like that during most of HBK's matches nowadays
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2006, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
me and you, in a ring.....I'm gonna chop the hell out of you.

Not only do they hurt like fuck....but they can knock the wind right out of you.
I guarantee, after I'm done choppin...you will beg me to go for the pin.
You're a tall man, I'm pretty with the added velocity your arm picks up on the way down it would feel like a belt slap on impact...
Old 15 Feb 2006, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

StrongHold25 is on a distinguished road

Kobashi
Strong
nuff said
StrongHold25 is offline   Reply With Quote