ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Talkin' TNA: Did it Make an "Impact"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2004, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

CountryBoy1.0 is on a distinguished road
Default Talkin' TNA: Did it Make an "Impact"?

I will be perfectly honest from the get-go: I have watched merely one program (for free, I might add) of NWA/TNA before the "Impact" show on Fox Sports Net. I know Jeff Jarrett carried over as the headliner, I know AJ Styles was a stud, and I heard rumblings about some match called "Ultimate X."

Luckily, I got a chance to see portions of an Ultimate X match with (I believe) Chris Sabin wining the match. Oh. My. God. Innovative, indeed.

Onto "Impact"... the show did its job IMO. It hyped up the Wednesday PPV while showcasing the true strength of the company to counter the WWE: The X Division. I consider myself the casual fan of TNA that these guys are marketing directly after on Fox, and I admit that I was thoroughly impressed with these X-Dvision wrestlers like Elix Skipper and Kazurian and AJ Styles (who REALLY IS super), and the international teams opener was terrific eye candy.

Hopefully, TNA can get more non-self-promotion advertising and not wind up like an hour-long infomercial of itself like ECW's syndicated programming did, it really hurt that show not to get serious outside sponsors.

"Impact" had a great start, but one show a following does not make. They must maintain the dramatic vibe of this show and not wash it away into a B-show oblivion like Thunder and NOW SmackDown became or have become for their respective companies. Certainly, creative and wrestler burnout is possible with two weekly shows following the same continuum, but HEY, competition is born ito be fierece, right?

All in all, to me, a great show that I am certain WWE officials were watching with, if not fear, envy. Now, don't get too far ahead, the WWE is a billion-dollar company with everything in order, but TNA is ushering to the mass market a product like the X-Division that truly differentiates from the mainstream and could steal away some casual WWE fans. That alone should concern the officials.

I hope TNA's FOX show does well and keeps up the good work. The X Title Shot match in the main event was terrific and dramatic, but the true question is.... how long can you keep up the good work till you either give up trying or get the rug pulled from under you?
CountryBoy1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2004, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

For a one hour program, I think that it was perfect, the way they debut on tv. It had some good wrestling, and less talking for the most part. I like the way they respected their Cruiserweights, and really pushed the X-Division as a whole, showing why TNA has the best Cruiser Division in North America. Interesting how in a way Dusty took a shot at Flair, though I agree that the 'real' Nature Boy is truly Buddy Rogers, Flair should have been mention when you talk about great champions from the NWA. I mean if they were gonna keep pushing the fact that Shane is HBK's cousin, they have nothing to lose by saying Flair was a great man in the NWA, he sure as hell isn't as great in WWE as he was in NWA anyways.

Some problems I had with the booking itself was that Jarrett, is the champion of this promotion yet again. He is one of the last people I tune into see. He really looks like something out of 1996, who got stuck there. He has nothing that he brings to the table, besides a name. And to be honest people never respected that name in the first place. He hasn't wrestled a match worth talking about in some time, and it is time for NWA to move on from him and have a better contender carry that title.

Also for some odd reason, I didn't want to see AMW win the title. I don't know why, but for some reason I wanted Kash and Dallas to hold on to those titles for a bit longer. Both the Tag Titles and the World title in TNA don't look like much at this point because in less then 2 months they have had 3 World Champions and the same goes for the Tag division. This is not how you want your titles to be. Floating around always switching hands. It makes the title less then it should be. I mean for right now the Tag titles don't really mean much, because no champion can hold them for over a month. That isn't really a champion in the first place, if that is the case.

However, the way NWA has its build ups to weekly ppv for 10 dollars it makes me want to spend the money. They had great hype and a decent amount of curiostiy for this comming wednesday. When I look at it in the long run, I might just start buying the 8 hours of wrestling ppv, for $35 as a package, from the TNA; over the the 2 hours and 45 minutes of wrestling for $35 from the WWE. Or in this month the 5 hours and 30 minutes of two ppv's from the WWE for $70.

This is a start for TNA, and I for the most part have been supporting them in what they do since the get go. One reason is because it brings an alternative to the same product in the WWE. And compititoin makes for good wrestling by both shows.......

Last edited by Dre; 05 Jun 2004 at 11:32 AM.
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2004, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

I really enjoyed the show. It was my first ever TNA experience, and I am definitely tuning in next Friday, whether watching it when it airs or taping it (since it doesn't show til 4:00 am).

I really liked how much they hyped up the next weekly PPV. Before every commercial break it was hyped. The wrestling was fast paced and they had some sick moves. It didn't really come off as a show full of spot fest matches, and that was a definite positive.

All the vignettes and video packages they showed of the X-Division were sick as hell. I was literally in awe with my jaw dropped from some of the moves they showed.

AJ Styles was awesome, and in my first witnessing of him, he lived up to all the hype that I've heard and read. He truly was 'Phenomenal'.

I'm wondering if Hooters shows the TNA PPVs, cuz if they do, I might have to go up there once a week for em. I'm also definitely gonna be watching next Friday. Overall, a damn good TV debut for TNA
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2004, 02:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

CountryBoy1.0 is on a distinguished road

I agree, that X-divison DVD looked amazing. Did you see that spot where some poor guy got catapulted from a ladder over the top rope by two people? Unbeleivable!!!!!!!! I hope TNA has kept that agenda of pushing the in-ring envelope. THAT will make them successful in the long run.
CountryBoy1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2004, 02:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Proud TNA Supporter

Direct has a spectacular aura aboutDirect has a spectacular aura aboutDirect has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Direct

Theres no doubt that TNA has just started, theyre picking up their fan base now and soon they will be on top of WWE, Vince already banned the over the head belly to belly suplex, piledriver, and hes thinking about banning the DDT! TNA doesnt have any limits, Wendsday 2hours of GOOD wrestling for 9.95 compared to a boring 3 hour WWE ppv for 35 bucks, u can go your own way but the smart decision, TNA.

NOVEMBER 16, 2006 - 9:00PM ON SPIKETV
Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2004, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Something of note that I thought I would mention.

I was watching the tape of Impact for the second time with my girlfriend (it was her first time) and she said a couple things.

First thing she said was something like, "This doesn't seem like it really revolves around storylines."

Second thing was, "How come this one isn't the more popular (referring to WWE)."

She's not an internet fan and she doesn't know a lot about the backstage stuff, or what could happen soon. She was just watching it like she does Raw and SmackDown! and she liked it so much more because of the action. I have to say that I agree with her
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote