ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

What makes a 5 star match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2004, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

GProopdog is on a distinguished road
Default What makes a 5 star match

what do you guys think is the criteria that makes a perfect, 5 star match?
Old 10 Apr 2004, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

a five star match has to work several different angles.....the contestants have to be compatible with each other.....they have to play to the crowd and to each other.....there has to be something during the match that makes the audience go nuts, whether it be a move out of nowhere or a complete spot.....

the ebb and flow of the match has to go together.....in other words, the contestants can't have one person always having the upper hand.....it can't be a 5 minute match.....

there has to be entertainment value and wrestling value.....

that's all I've got.....sorry.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2004, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer

I'll pretty much foward on oeo point, The Match just has to be something worth watching, Not some 5 Minute Brock Lesner / Holly Squash, It has to hold entertainment value for the Wrestling Fanatics, the Spot Fanatics and Super Marks (Which could be the same as the Spot Fans) It just has to be 5 times better then any Kane match really.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Slash will become famous soon enough

I Think 5 Star Matches Are Thrown Around Way Too Much, Especially On My Part...A True ***** Match Is Something That Not Only Stands The Test Of Time, But Changes The Face Of Pro Wrestling...Bret Hart Vs. Steve Austin Was Not Technically Grand As A Benoit/Angle Match, But Its Impact On Wrestling Will Far Exceed Anything Benoit And Angle Can Ever Achieve...

That Single Match At Wrestlemania XIII Was A Turnin' Point, Its Impact Would Be Profound And Still Felt To This Day, Where As Eddie/Angle Was Superb, But It Really Did Not Change Wrestling Other Than Reaffirm The Fact Angle And Eddie Are Two Hella Good Wrestlers...

5 Star Matches Are Hella Rare And Are Reallly Quite The Moment If You Can EVer Glimpse One As It Occurrs

TOWC: The Legend Continues

9 Times....
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2004, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

^Agreed...The term is thrown around a lot..A True 5 Star Match to me is a match that stands the test of time....A match that years from when it happened..IT will be engraved in every true wrestlings fan mind...A 5 Star match has to happen at the right place,and the right time..and there has to be the right atmosphere..
Old 07 May 2004, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
X-Division Champion

Andy182 is on a distinguished road

definitely a 5 star match was hogan VS the rock at WMX8 , t he 1 at no way out wasnt but the 1 at mania definitely was

i think 1 day john cena will fight randy orton and put on a five star match , coz they both get the crowd involved
Old 07 May 2004, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

eric1229 can only hope to improveeric1229 can only hope to improve

one key ingredient that hasn't been spoken but is probably understood is that there shouldn't be outside interference.

rock hogan at wrestlemania was almost perfect as a 5 star match though not a technically great match
eric1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2004, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Yankee

Crossface is on a distinguished road

The contestants have to be compatible with each other. The face has to play to the crowd, and they both have to play to each other. There have to be at least two things during the match that makes the audience go nuts, like a move out of no where and a complete spot. The contestants can't have one of them have the upper hand. It has to be at least five minutes. There has to be value. The match has to be worth watching, not some squash. There shouldn't be any interference.
Crossface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2004, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

CountryBoy1.0 is on a distinguished road

A 5-Star match in its truest sense has to include many factors coming to a steady and beautiful crossroads. Thankfully five-star is subjective to us, and I think Scott Keith is a great reviewer of such matches. Here are some factors for a five-star wrestling match to me:

#1 the crowd has to be hot for it. I don't give a damn if every other match ont he card was a totally dreadful bore and the crowd didn't care a bit for any other match. If the audience after 2 and 1/2 hours of crap, mark out big-time for that match it is still a special one. Par exemple... Bret Hart/Steve Austin is my favorite all-time five-star match, but WM 13 was one of the worst events i ever saw. Crowd chemistry is big.

#2 NON STOP ACTION. Just because there are actual breaks int he match does not necessarily mean that the match gets a star off. The psychology of the match is still a form of action, and if you can FEEL the drama of the combatants laying on the ground for a long time, than the match feels great. Sometimes it pays off big time (Hogan vs. Warrior in WM 6) and sometimes it doesn't (HBK/HHH Hell in the Cell).

#3 Length does matter, but don't go too long! If I could choose between Hagler/Hearns or Ali/Frazier, then I take Ali/Frazier every friggin' time because it feels epic to you, in your eyes, in your mind. ECW destroyed the epic match thanks to its money-shot desperation to please people, but mainstream audiences' shortening attention span in the new millenium hasn't helped either. The Iron Man Match between Bret and Shawn was beautiful, but the crowd just couldn't eat it in its entirety because it is not 1925 anymore. But it is better off than the quick-shot match that gives you a jolt and then suddenly disappears.

#4 Suspense, Suspense, Suspense! The perfect example of this was one of my top ten: Austin vs. the Rock at Wrestlemania X-Seven, the greatest PPV of all-time. The Rock hits Austin with a Rock Bottom and Vince interferes. Rock gets a RB from Austin, and the Rock kicks out to shock from the pro-Austin crowd. Austin stuns the Rock... and the Rock kicks out again. Austin nails Rock with a wicked chair shot... and kicks out again!!!! By now, the Astrodome crowd is literally out of breath. Austin FINALLY beats the hell out of Rock with the chair to beat him. Overkill on the finish? Yea. Greatest suspense to an ending since Bret/Austin? You bet!
CountryBoy1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2004, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kaptin Karmo

'tin Man is on a distinguished road

suspense is one of the most important factors in a match to me. i love it when you think you know hat's gonna happen, but something else happens and surprses you. but its not something stupid, but something that makes sense.

i also think the other most important factor n a good match is INNOVATION. i hate the type of innovation where people come up with exceptionally stupid or contrived looking super bumps. but i like the innovation where people actually think up something CLEVER that i havent seen before. like the first time taker reversed a corner ten punch into a last ride, or the first time a chokeslam was reversed into a ddt, or the first time a flying body press was reversed into a powerslam, or the first time jericho reversed a frankensteiner into a lion tamer, or the first time austin reversed the pedigree into an arm breaker. thats what you wnna se in a five star match.

i dont care if te ending has run ins, but it needs to be an ening where you don't feel cheated.

prefereably the match needs to avoid stupid spots, like the "laying down and forcing them to jump over me" spot, or the "ill send him off the ropes and just stand there loweing my head so i can get ddted or fameassered or what ever else they can think of" spot.

the last factor is that they need to try to pretend that they are actually fighting. there are too many matches these days where they just look like they are practising.

i am the rock lobster!!

THE ULTIMATE POSTER
'tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2004, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
PWF's very own psychopath

Corey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICK
Send a message via AIM to Corey Send a message via MSN to Corey Send a message via Yahoo to Corey

the term 5 star match gets labeled way too much on matches....

to me a 5 star match is when there are great showings of offenses from both sides.

no outside interference

any match that i consider 5 star lasts a long ass time

for example id give the triple threat match at wm20 a 5 star

Thanks to David for the Orton banner...

Join the EFED you fucks!
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2004, 01:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
In Todd We Trust

The Return OfSP Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...

just put bret hart in any match, and you have one.

The Return OfSP is offline   Reply With Quote