ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

How Lesnar and Goldberg Have Given Back to the Business

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2004, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...
Default How Lesnar and Goldberg Have Given Back to the Business

This is an article written by James Guttman about how underappreciated Bill and Brock are.....

Quote:
Brock Lesnar walked out on WWE and Bill Goldberg went right along with him. On one night, during one match, World Wrestling Entertainment saw the end of two of it's biggest names. Both men ended their runs for Vince McMahon at the same moment. Ironically, it's just one of many similarities they both shared.

Both Lesnar and Goldberg were known for their larger than life personas. Bill would snarl and crush his opponents with Jackhammers, while Brock would grimace and destroy foes with the F5. Both reigned supreme at various points. Both were catapulted to the top of the business at early ages. Both held the World Championship during early stages of their careers. Most importantly, both lacked the passion to be here.

In an industry where some men refuse to walk away, hanging on to the 1980's like an Al Wilson death grip, certain men go the opposite direction. The Next Big Thing and da Man were two such examples. The had it all. The never had to put the time into success that performers like Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit did. The opportunities were always there. The glass ceiling wasn't so solid. No one was putting motor oil on their ladders of success. All they had to do was show up. All they had to do was perform. All they had to do was want it. Unfortunately, they didn't.

Maybe it's not so unfortunate though. The lack of passion that both Bill and Brock had toward the end of their time in wrestling may have been a blessing. It may have been the saving grace that the entire roster of WWE's forgotten faces had been praying for.

If there's two things we've seen from Vince McMahon, it's that he does his best when backed into a corner and he doesn't appreciate being left in a lurch. Right now, Vinnie Mac's backed into a corner. Two major names that he's pushed both left when their stock was fairly high. Couple that with Mick Foley, Steve Austin, the Rock, and Kurt Angle all being away from in-ring action, or looking to take some time away, and you have the makes of a fragile situation. How does the chairman correct the problem? He pulls his trump card.

His trump card for the last few years has been the roster split. Every week that went by with two different sets of performers wrestling on different nights, was a week that further differentiated the two. When the chips are down and the big names are out, Vince has the answer right in his back pocket. He can just reshuffle his deck.

That's what he's doing tomorrow in Raw's big roster lottery. Although not decided after WrestleMania, the departure of both Brock Lesnar and Bill Goldberg no doubt made the idea more appealing. No one will notice who's missing, if we just mix everybody up. Sure, there'll be a hole left by their absence, but it just won't seem so deep if fans have new things to distract themselves with. The roster reset is something new to distract them.

This distraction creates opportunity that is rarely seen in this industry. For men that have run into walls attempting to find their niche, new opponents will be there for them. New partners will be available to team with. New chances will open. If anything seems likely in today's WWE, it's opportunity.

Take a look at Chris Benoit. Heck, take a look at Eddie Guerrero. For years, those two sentences would be used to start a paragraph about wrestlers lost in the mix. Not today. Today both men are World Champions. It's a boost to the confidence of those that feel frustrated with their positions. It's a sign of change. It's a light of hope.

Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero possess the opposite traits that Goldberg and Lesnar did. Both Benoit and Guerrero were criticized for their lack of size. Chris focuses on a technical match, while Eddie uses a lucha style. Both have been nearly forgotten by writers at various points. Both were never catapulted to the top of the business at early ages. Both were never recognized as World Champions until recently. Most importantly, both have the passion to be here.

It could be that type of performer that Vince McMahon is looking for now. He's dealt with those that didn't have the desire. He's seen how young stars that haven't had to suffer in wrestling view the industry. While it's Brock and Bill's option to walk away whenever they choose, it's also Vince McMahon's option to not push people with their mindset, at least not for now.

You can say that Brock Lesnar and Bill Goldberg never gave back to the business or that they walked away without doing the jobs for those that helped them. In a traditional sense, you're right. They didn't, but by merely leaving, both men have given back to the industry far more than they would have in the ring. They've created new opportunities and big arrows pointing to those that deserve them.

You can chant "you sold out" if you like. The only thing I have to say to Goldberg and Lesnar is "thank you."
Credit PWTorch.com

Thoughts, do you agree or disagree.......

Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
{~PWF's leading man~}

Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.Sly as hell is fat like a planet.

I totally 100% agree on what James Guttman said. Both men were basically just handed the title on a silver plater and had the joy of being champion, but when the fun was over they decided to pack their bags and leave. I can't imagine how wrestlers like Eddie and Benoit felt when they saw these two guys come along and claim what they've been working for all they life and i really rate them for having that patience and not just walking like so many have done before. The whole travel schedule was nothing but a scape goat, your champion for crying out loud, many wrestlers who have been working all their life would walk a thousand miles if it only meant they will finally have that title around their waist. Goldberg running of to Japan so i hear, why? Whats wrong with the WWE, whats wrong with company that GAVE you the title? Was it because you lost it sooner than expected? Was it because they not treating you like WCW, unbeaten for years, well sorry Goldberg you can't get what you want all the time so you pack your bags. I've said this over and over again since the beginning, months ago, i think Brock was just pushed way too fast and way too much, beating legends, icons, accomplishing what EVERY wrestler in the locker room wants to accomplish so quickly without even breaking so much as a sweat. I thought Goldberg won't leave, i was certain of it, but now that his departure has been confirmed on more than one occassion, i'm pissed. So as James Guttman said, thank you Goldberg, thanks Brock, now the truly deserving wrestlers can finally get a well deserved push.

<select name=which style="font-family: Tempus Sans ITC; font-size: 12pt; background-color: green; font-weight: ; color: orange">
<option>Tap out list</option>
<option>Sam</option>
<option>CDWC (x2)</option>
<option>Blu Angel</option>
<option>BOSTON (x5)</option>
<option>Dan Mavrick</option>
<option>Stephenc97</option>
<option>afficial (x4)</option>
<option>ShyneFactory</option>
<option>Camini</option>
<option>EminemPacPWF</option>
<option>2Gangsta (x2)</option>
<option>StarScream (x2)</option>
<option>Shooter</option>
</select>
Sly as hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2004, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Neil #1 Fighter is on a distinguished road

It makes me sick...when they walk out after they win the title.
Neil #1 Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote