ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

How would a sheltered person from today's day and age react to old school wrestling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2004, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Aerial Anarchy

Rusty Cooledge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Rusty Cooledge
Default How would a sheltered person from today's day and age react to old school wrestling?

Here's what I mean... say someone from this day and age, a 16 year old I suppose, has never heard of or seen ANYTHING involving professional wrestling. This person is put in a controlled environment where they are convinced that Wrestlemania 3 is happening in a year, and they are shown only Saturday Night Main event tapes and such.

Would this person react to Hogan bodyslamming Andre by going ape shit? Or any thing else from that era for that matter. To us younger fans, Hogan slamming Andre is just some old thing that happened and was a big deal to a bunch of people, but what if we were built up to this and convinced it was just happening at that moment, would we go crazy over it like so many people did back in 1986?

I was just thinking about this and got curious as to other's views about it. I feel they might buy into it, but then again with the way the current generation is brought up, maybe they would just laugh at it and wonder why they wasted a year watching professional wrestling. Your thoughts?
Old 18 Mar 2004, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Slash will become famous soon enough

People Watch' Tapes From The Past, *Gasps* Jee Golly Gosh... Don't Tell Marbles People Do This...

As For Your Question... I Think That Angle Worked Cause Of The Time Period It Was Set In... The Wrestling World At The Time Was A Very Cartoonish One And Kayfabe Was Still Prodominent. Someone Like Hulk Hogan And Andre The Giant, These Two Larger Than Life Characters Were Very Appealing At The Time....

The Story Of The Immovable Object Vs. The Unstoppable Force Was Very Appealing To A Small Child, And That's Why Someone In My Late Teens Although Too Young To Remember The Moment As It Occurred Cause I Was 1 Would Watch It Later When I Was 9 And 10 And Think Wow...What Happened Was Amazing

As For Someone Now, I Really Don't Know How They Would React...

TOWC: The Legend Continues

9 Times....
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2004, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
You WILL Be Regulated....

Mr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-able

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game
People Watch' Tapes From The Past, *Gasps* Jee Golly Gosh... Don't Tell Marbles People Do This...

Cuz you fucking talk as if you're a fucking veteren wrestling analyst, running your mouth about how you felt when Vince Jr bought his dad's company and where you were when Ric Flair won the world chapionship for the first time and fucking bullshit like that, when a lot of that shit happened when you were still in diapers. I'd clean up your tone around me too Slash, The Marbleous One doesn't appreciate it.
Marbles is what all you wannabees want to be. he is who you think about when you touch yoursleves at night. He is the person you think about everyone someone says, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Hes the person your girlfriend thinks about when youre inside her, and hes the one your parents really wanted. His dick is the one your dick looks up to. He is the marbleous one. The one that YOU ALL WANT TO BE
Mr. Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

lmao, you two are funny.

As for the past, I'm not disscussing it because, everyone will subjected to WWE bashing if I really start to think about the old days. Lets just say, when Kayfabe is respected and followed, everything else works around it. Take for example the fued between Chris Danails and Low Ki. Now it doesn't matter if they are in ROH or TNA, these two flow into charecter, and keep the hatred that each man has for each other. Kayfabe is very much alive if you want to plant the seed to let it grow. The fact that this has been building up for years now and every encounter is nice. The fact the Danials will never shake Low-Ki's hand makes their rivilry bettter.

I went on about that because before, when I first started watching wrestling, everything stayed some what on the same page. I mean Flair and Dusty was great because these guys would draw you in by believing that they hated each other(which they do). I myself like when the show is more 1 minute promos and extremly competitive. When the TV title was a huge thing to hold. I watch Tully and Arn each have some great years with that title. People cared who the tv champ is. Same with the tag belts. Today only one belt matters, its like who cares about the US and IC title. They have not been worth shit since I can't remember, though Randy Orton, is bring some type of credibility back to the belt. Since it was made to be projected as a sport, it made people tune in hard, because when compititiveness is on TV people want to see who is gonna win, or at least I do. I don't really care to much for all the other bullshit. Exspecailly if they don't want to take the time out to make it remotly respectable. I can name about 5 guys right now that Storylines and gimmicks are just completly out of whack.

But this is a new generation of wrestling and that is why there are Indy's. BTW TNA finally had a good PPV, but I'm not claiming it as an Indy. And the best bet is to really get a feel of how things were back then, I suggest you either buy some tapes or rent them from a blockbuster or something.

Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2004, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Quote:
Originally Posted By Mr.Marbles
Cuz you fucking talk as if you're a fucking veteren wrestling analyst, running your mouth about how you felt when Vince Jr bought his dad's company and where you were when Ric Flair won the world chapionship for the first time and fucking bullshit like that, when a lot of that shit happened when you were still in diapers. I'd clean up your tone around me too Slash, The Marbleous One doesn't appreciate it.
I've Been Doin' That Since I Came To PWF, I Don't Know Why You Would Bring It Up Now Instead Of The First Time You Saw It....

9 Times....
Old 19 Mar 2004, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
You WILL Be Regulated....

Mr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-able

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game
I've Been Doin' That Since I Came To PWF, I Don't Know Why You Would Bring It Up Now Instead Of The First Time You Saw It....
It was just something I was curious about, it wasn't meant to be something you'd take personally and become a smart-ass over.
Marbles is what all you wannabees want to be. he is who you think about when you touch yoursleves at night. He is the person you think about everyone someone says, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Hes the person your girlfriend thinks about when youre inside her, and hes the one your parents really wanted. His dick is the one your dick looks up to. He is the marbleous one. The one that YOU ALL WANT TO BE
Mr. Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2004, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Getting back to the point instead of you too stooges trying to slap each other around through the net, someone under these conditions could not possibly look at what we have now and leave in a sane condition. This lab rat would not fully be able to grasp what is happening. Someone from the Hogan era, where face and heel were basically defined for you would be confused by now, where the face says "Lie, cheat, and steal" instead of "Take your vitamins".
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2004, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

^ Why Thank You Father For Keepin' Us Two Children In Check, Where Would This World Be Without You

Side Note: Well That Makes Only Two Stooges Though, Who Would You Like To Be...Curly Or Shemp

9 Times....