ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

the debate rages on.....WCW or WWF?.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2004, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer
Default the debate rages on.....WCW or WWF?.....

well, the most succesful mainstream wrestling franchises of all time.....WCW and the WWF.....there were many before them, there are many still yet....but these were the two that became nationwide, heck, worldwide products.....

the demise of WCW was brought on by poor upper management (and I'm not talking about Eric Bischoff), but for a decade they turned the face of wrestling on it's collective ear, and the NWA had been around long before that....these two giants had distintively different roads to the top, and they battled heartily there.....

the purpose of this debate is to determine which one was better.....it may not be able to be determined, but we are going to give it a try.....I, being the WCW mark that I am, believe that WCW was the better of the two.....and only when they tried to copycat the WWF's product did they lose out.....

I'll examine it in a little bit of detail, but I want some major input from you guys.....hopefully this is something that we all have some strong opinions about.....so, here goes.....

WCW entered the mainstream wrestling with the feel of a smaller organization based upon the older style of wrestling. Less flash and dash, more substance to the wrestling side of the world. They based their entertainment more upon in-ring work and promos outside the ring, but not the "shock value" that so much of the WWF was based upon.....strong mat based wrestling, definite heels and faces, and scattered superstars.....

they had possibly the strongest stable in the history of wrestling with the IV Horsemen.....this stable was one side of the backbone of the company, as Ric Flair was a major part....but it also had other advantages.....WCW continued the tradition of the Horsemen nearly up until their demise, and they constantly had other stables that came and went (I can't recall all of the names off the top of my head).....stables played a huge part of the success of the WCW, and helped carry many lesser wrestlers into stellar careers because the stable handled them.....

in part mimicking the WWF, they also were a major part of the beginning of PPV (closed circuit) TV.....Starrcade became the staple PPV for WCW, and many of their stellar matches were put on here, ala WM for the WWF.....

I'll be back with much more, but I need to take a break.....

discuss.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2004, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

okay, the WWF side.....

WWF (once Vince McMahon took over) became the entertainment side wrestling.....yes, they put forth the good wrestlers on occasion, but the main side of the WWF has been creating the "mega" persona......

Hulk Hogan was the principle founder of this for Vince's WWF, but many others have had a huge part in it as well.....they took the feeling of belief and attempted to combine it with unbelievable things.....look at all of the gimmicks over the years.....

King Kong Bundy battling midgets......Undertaker.....Hogan's ability to "Hulk Up".....the WWF began using almost mythical themes, superhero personas in their storylines.....not necessarily having the greatest wrestling, but a different style in which you suspended belief to watch the story unfold.....in part, this was the Comic Books come to life.....many even playing off of comic book themes.....

the shock value then began to need to grow stronger.....the fan base that was built in the 80's grew older, and grew tired of some of the superhero storylines.....people like Bret Hart came more to the forefront, and better mat wrestling came back into view.....however, with the advent of the WCW growing stronger, and the eventual beginning of the NWO, the WWF became racier.....

putting out a raunchier product, they began to attract the viewer that they had lost.....sex sells, and the creative team used the men to attract the women (yes, DX mooned the crowd on many occasions).....they also brought in more Pamela Anderson look alikes (Sable was indeed that).....reaching out to a different audience altogether, they attempted to draw the most primitive instincts in the demographic they wanted to reach.....and it worked......

WCW began to slip with the bad management decisions, and they began to follow more of the WWF's lead.....eventually leading to the downfall of the organization.....

now, I've given you my condensed version of each organization......

give some responses as to which is better, and why they are (were)......

also, remember that I try and do all of this stuff off of the top of my head, so if at times the facts get a little crossed.....forgive me.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2004, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
I just don't give a fuck!

Location: Shit Jersey...I want to get the fuck out of this state
SPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICKSPEED is a STICK
Send a message via AIM to SPEED Send a message via MSN to SPEED Send a message via Yahoo to SPEED

This is a hard choice for me because during the "Monday Night Wars", I watched both the WWE and WCW. The first wrestling organization that I watched was WCW. I started to watch WCW in 96, right around the NWO era of WCW, I never bothered to watch the WWE because I was too much into the WCW program, it was like they grabbed me and didn't let go for years. Everything that I saw in WCW made me become a wrestling fan and I admit it I was a huge Goldberg mark back in the day, he was my favorite. So for a strong 3 to 4 years I only watched the WCW program and not the WWE. Than around mid 98 I started to watch the WWE and it had a big effect on me. When I first started to watch the WWE I thought Stone Cold was Goldberg for a little while and I started to watch Stone Cold,and all of the crazy stuff he did like driving trucks into the arena, things like that,and I thought the WCW never does things like that so I kept on watching the WWE program more and more untill I totally shot off WCW, I didn't care no more.

WCW had some great wrestlers, they had guys like Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, etc... and it was exciting to watch all the new cruserweights go out and have some real nice kickass matches. WCW brought in all the mexican guys like La Parka, Juventud Guerrero, Rey Rey etc.., it was fresh product and it was cool to see all these great matches that WCW put on, that plus the NWO storyline, thats why the WWE couldn't beat WCW in the ratings for 85 weeks and the WWE was struggling at the time. The only problem that WCW had was not pushing new stars, they had a whole bunch of talent but they weren't doing nothing with them, it was always the same guys being champion. Goldberg was the only guy out of that whole time that got a break and it was unfair to the other guys. While the WWE was pushing guys like The Rock, HHH, Kane, Kurt Angle, and DX. That was a problem with WCW and the NWO started to get boring in my opinion, it was always the same old thing. Thats why I think WCW lost in the ratings. That plus Vince Russo made it worst when he went to WCW, he is not a good writer and killed WCW more.

So in my opinion I think that the WWE was a better wrestling organization, I do give credit to WCW for making me start to watch wrestling.
SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2004, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Exculding financial matters (there WWE won big time), I'd say both companies were very equal.

WWF/E was very good at connecting at their audiance and finding wrestlers that could connect with them. Steve Austin is a wonderful example. They were also good at being very entertaining, making you mark out even if the ring work wasn't so hot.

WCW was no frills and very southern (it was popular here in Ohio). WCW had lot of old school names that a lot of the non wrestling people knew and people who knew them grew up with, like me. It also had solid ring action even if the storylines were crap.