ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

Do any federation's title's mean anything anymore?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2004, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

GProopdog is on a distinguished road
Default Do any federation's title's mean anything anymore?

I pose this question as i look over the various lists of who won the NWA, WWF, WCW, and AWA titles

alone the way, i have seen many instances were a title's linneage was crapped all over in favor of stupid storylines

(WCW: The finger poke of doom and David Arquette and vince russo holding the title)

(WWF: Vinne Mac holding the title)

(AWA: Otto Wanz giving Verne Gagne 50,000 dollars in exchange for a title)

do you folks agree that in this day and age a fed's title really doesn't mean that much?
GProopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2004, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Aerial Anarchy

Rusty Cooledge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Rusty Cooledge

They just do a crap for brains job of putting over the belt regardless of those instances. Hearing J.R. scream "HAVING THAT BELT MAKES YOU THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS" is offically tuned out by every fan as meaningless drivel. Nothing is done to make the belt look like it matters, nothing is done to make the belt look like it's something the whole fed strives for.

People get title shots for no reason half the time, other than getting angry at the champion. So why doesn't everyone just get angry at the champion?

The belt just really looks like nothing but an excuse for a main event, regardless if the two going for the belt are the top draws in the company or not.

WM18, Rock/Hogan was bigger than Jericho/HHH. Perfect example of the belt not getting put over well.
Old 04 Mar 2004, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

I agree Rusty. Having the title around your waist now and having it around your waist back then are two different things. Back in the day the title was treated with more respect. It was a big deal when the title changed hands. And for about 3 years in the WWE the World title meant nothing. More so over just this year in 04' I see the titles meaning more now then they did for the last 5 years almost. But before there were actaul rules with #1 and #2 contenders who were in line for the belt. It was made to be a big deal. Now its just not the same, but other titles like Tag and US just don't mean shit now or days. Those titles before use to be just as important as the world title. There was a time when the IC and US divisions in their respected promotions were crawling with nothing but great compitition and great angles having to do with the divison. Before if you were a champion at all it was a big deal. Now it seems you are a champion whenever for whatever reason. It isn't special anymore like it once was in that no one gets excited when the titles change hands like they once did. Or at least I don't even when Evo had all the titles. It still wasn't the same as when The Horsemen held every title. I think the way to solve the problem is for the WWE to keep doing what they are doing now with HHH and Eddy's titles. HHH has built credibility to the World title. And as long as Gerruero isn't a one month champ then things will be fine. However they need to make the IC and US titles more important then they have been leading recently. And both Tag divisions need to be treated with the respect that Tag wrestling use to have back in the day....pre 98'....

Dre is offline   Reply With Quote